- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Vascular plant diversity of the Gogunsan Archipelago in the Korean Peninsula
Kim, Jung-Hyun;An, Ji-Hong;Nam, Gi-Heum;Park, Hwan-Joon;Kim, Jin-Seok;Lee, Byoung Yoon;Lee, Kyeong-Ui;Chang, Yeon-Soon
- Received : 2018.04.20
- Accepted : 2019.01.04
- Published : 2019.02.28
This study was carried out to investigate the flora of six islands belonging to the Gogunsan Archipelago (i.e., Sinsi-do, Seonyu-do, Munyeo-do, Yami-do, Bian-do, and Duri-do) in the Korean Peninsula. As results of five field surveys from March to October of 2016, we have identified 575 total taxa, representing 527 species, five subspecies, 42 varieties, and one hybrid, placed in 358 genera and 118 families. Of these 575 taxa, four are endemic to Korea, six taxa are listed on the Korean Red List of threatened species, 67 are floristic regional indicator plants, and 74 are invasive alien species. In this study, we compared species richness among the islands, and find that the larger the islands, the higher the species richness. In the case of habitat affinity types, forest species were most common, followed by farmland, seacoast, bare ground and wetland species. From similarity analyses based on the composition of vascular plants, each island did not exhibit either local specificity or unique diversity. On the contrary, the proportion of invasive alien and ruderal species may increase by human activities. Investigations and analyses of island flora such as this are important to assess the current status of the flora, predict future vegetation patterns and the spread of the alien species, and establish managment plans of plant diversity.
endemic plants;invasive alien plants;similarity index
- Gunsan-si. 2017. www.gunsan.go.kr/.
- Chung, G.Y., K.S. Chang, J.M. Chung, H.J. Choi, W.K. Paik and J.O. Hyun. 2017. A checklist of endemic plants on the Korean peninsula. Korean Journal of Plant Taxonomy 47(3):264-288. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2017.47.3.264
- Chung, J.M. and K.N. Hong. 2006. Island biogeographic study on distribution pattern of the naturalized plant species on the uninhabited islands in Korea. Journal of Ecology and Field Biology 29(6):489-494. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2006.29.6.489
- Cho, Y.H. 2002. Characteristics and status of health resources and services of islands in Korea. Journal of Korean Island 14(1):17-29.
- Cho, Y.H., J.H. Kim and S.H. Park. 2016. Grasses and Sedges in South Korea. Geobook, Seoul. p. 527.
- Cronquist, A. 1981. An Integrated System of Classification of Flowering Plants. Columbia Univ. Press, New York, USA. p. 1262.
- Forman, R.T.T. and S.K. Collinge. 1996. The spatial solution to conserving biodiversity in landscapes and regions. In: R.M. Degraaf and R.I. Miller (eds.), Conservation of faunal diversity in forested landscape. Conservation Biology, Vol. 6, Springer Dordrecht.
- Hong, S.K. 1998. Changes in landscape patterns and vegetation process in the Far-Eastern cultural landscape: human activity on pine-dominated secondary vegetation in Korea and Japan. Phytocoenologia 28:45-66. https://doi.org/10.1127/phyto/28/1998/45
- Hong, S.K., Y.D. Rim, N. Nakagoshi and N.K. Chang. 2000. Recent spatio-temporal changes of landscape structure, heterogeneity and diversity of rural landscape: implements for landscape conservation and restoration. Journal of Ecology 23:359-368.
- Iwatsuki, K., D.E. Boufford and H. Ohba. 2001. Flora of Japan. Vol. IIb. Angiospermae Dicotyledoneae Archlamydaea (b). Kodansha, Tokyo, Japan. p. 321.
- Jang, J., K.S. Chang, S.H. Park, S.J. Ji, H.J. Lee, J.G. Byeon, H.S. Hwang and Y.M. Lee. 2013. Floristic study of Gogunsan archipelago, Jeollabuk-do, Korea. Journal of Asia-Pacific Biodiversity 6(4):467-484. https://doi.org/10.7229/jkn.2013.6.4.00467
- Jung, S.Y., J.W. Lee, Y.H. Kwon, H.T. Shin, S.J. Kim, J.B. An and T.I. Heo. 2016. Invasive Alien Plants in South Korea. Korean National Arboretum, Pocheon, Korea. p. 265.
- Kim, H.H., D.B. Kim, W.H. Kyu, C.S. Kim and W.S. Kong. 2016. Island-biogeographical characteristics of insular flora in southern sea of Jeollanamdo, Korea. Journal of Climate Change Research 7(2):143-155. https://doi.org/10.15531/ksccr.2016.7.2.143
- Kim, H.S. 2008. A study on the vegetation and flora of Hukdo in nuinhabited islets, Gunsan. The Journal of Korean Island 20(2):137-144.
- Kim, J.H. and M.Y. Kim. 2013. First record of Fimbristylis hookeriana Boeckeler (Cyperaceae) from Korea. Korean Journal Plant Taxonomy 43(4):296-299. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2013.43.4.296
- Kim, J.H., S.Y. Kim, B.Y. Lee and C.Y. Yoon. 2015. Floristic study of Gyodongdo island in Ganghwa-gun, Korea. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 29(2):105-131. https://doi.org/10.13047/KJEE.2015.29.2.105
- Kim, J.S. and T.Y. Kim. 2011. Woody Plants of Korean Peninsula. Dolbegae, Paju, Korea. p. 688.
- Kim, K.J. and S.M. Yun. 2012. A new species of Melampyrum (Orobanchaceae) from southern Korea. Phytotaxa 42:48-50. https://doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.42.1.6
- Kim, S.Y., S.H. Moon, J.S. Kim, J.H. Kim and B.Y. Lee. 2013. First record of Ajuga nipponensis Makino (Lamiaceae) from Korea. Korean Journal Plant Taxonomy 43(3):165-167. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2013.43.3.165
- Ko, S.C., Y.M. Lee, K.S. Chung, D.C. Son, B.M. Nam and G.Y. Chung. 2014. A new species of Paraphlomis (Lamiaceae) from Korea: an additional genus to the Korean flora. Phytotaxa 175(1):51-54. https://doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.175.1.6
- Kong, W.S. 2007. Biogeography of Korean Plants. Geobook, Seoul. p. 335.
- Korea National Arboretum. 2016. Distribution Maps of Vascular Plants in Korea. KNA, Pocheon, Korea. p. 1530.
- Kurki, S., A. Nikula, P. Helle and H. Linden. 2000. Landscape fragmentation and forest: composition effects on grouse breeding success in boreal forest. Ecology 81:1985-1997.
- Lee, B.Y., G.H. Nam, J.Y. Lee, C.H. Park, C.E. Lim, M.H. Kim, S.J. Lee, T.K. Noh, J.A. Lim, J.E. Han and J.H. Kim. 2011. National List of Species of Korea (Vascular Plants). National Institute of Biological Resources, Incheon, Korea. p. 633.
- Lee, C.S. and K.H. Lee. 2015. Pteridophytes of Korea: Lycophytes & Ferns. Geobook, Seoul, Korea. p. 471 (in Korean).
- Lee, I.K. and I.T. Kim. 1980. The ecological study for the vegetation of the Gogunsan islands. The Report of the KACN 18:87-102.
- Lee, T.B. 1980. Illustrated Flora of Korea. Hyangmunsa, Seoul, Korea. p. 990.
- Lee, T.B. 2003. Coloured Flora of Korea. Vol. I, II. Hyangmunsa, Seoul, Korea. p. 914, p. 910.
- Lee, T.B., C.H. Lee and E.B. Lee. 1980. Vegetation of Gogunsan islands. The Report of the KACN 18:59-86.
- Lee, W.T. 1996. Standard Illustrations of Korean Plants. Academy Press, Seoul, Korea. p. 624.
- Lee, W.T. and Y.J. Yim. 2002. Plant Geography with Special Reference to Korea. Kangwon National University Press, Chuncheon, Korea. p. 412.
- Lee, Y.N. 2006. New Flora of Korea. Vol. I, II. Gyohaksa, Seoul, Korea. p. 974, p. 885.
- MacArthur, R.H. and E.O. Wilson. 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, New Jersey. p. 203.
- Nam, G.H., J.H. Kim, J.H. Kim, S.Y. Kim, J. Jang and G.Y. Chung. 2014. First record of Carex sect. Mitratae (Cyperaceae) from Korea: Carex chungii Z. P. Wang, Carex tsushimensis (Ohwi) Ohwi and Carex multifolia Ohwi. Korean Journal Plant Taxonomy 44(1):33-38. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2014.44.1.33
- National Institute of Biological Resources. 2012. Red Data Book of Endangered Vascular Plants in Korea (Red Data Book 5). Econature, Incheon, Korea. p. 391 (in Korean).
- National Institute of Biological Resources. 2015. Flora of Biodiversity Hot-spot in Korea (IV). NIBR. Incheon, Korea. p. 172 (in Korean).
- National Institute of Environmental Research. 2012. A Guide to the 4th National Natural Environment Research. NIER, Incheon, Korea. pp. 173-226 (in Korean).
- Park, S.H. 2009. New Illustrations and Photographs of Naturalized Plants of Korea. Ilchokak, Seoul, Korea. p. 575.
- Peterken, G.F., D. Ausherman, M. Buchenau and R.T.T. Forman. 1992. Old growth conservation within British upland conifer plantations. Forestry 65:127-144. https://doi.org/10.1093/forestry/65.2.127
- So, S.K., H. Jo and M.Y. Kim. 2014. A new species of Potentilla (Rosaceae): P. gageodoensis M. Kim. Korean Journal Plant Taxonomy 44(3):175-177. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2014.44.3.175
- Turner, M.G. and S.P. Bratton. 1987. Fire, grazingm and the landscape heterogeneity of a Georgia barrier island. In: M.G. Turner (ed.), Landscape heterogeneity and disturbance, Springer-Verlag, New York. pp. 85-101.
- Won, C.K. and Y.S. Song. 1980. The geology of Gogunsan islands. The Report of the KACN 18:33-44.
- Yang, J.C., Y.H. Kwon, S.J. Ji and C.H. Shin. 2015. A new record of Rhododendron keiskei Miq. var. hypoglaucum Suto & Suzuki (Ericaceae) in Korea. Korean Journal Plant Taxonomy 45(3):239-242. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2015.45.3.239
Supported by : National Institute of Biological Resources(NIBR)