- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Differential Effect of PC vs. Mobile on User Behavior : An Empirical Study based on Construal Level Theory(CLT)
데스크톱과 모바일 기기의 차이가 사용자의 행위에 미치는 영향 : 해석수준 이론을 적용한 실증 연구
- Received : 2019.11.10
- Accepted : 2019.12.24
- Published : 2019.12.31
Construal level theory (CLT) have been researched in wide range of disciplines such as marketing, organizational study, psychology, or education. Current study asserts that CLT would explain the effect of different devices of PC and smartphone on interaction between human-computer interfaces and information systems use. In CLT, those who are far from an object in terms of physical, temporal, social or psychological distance, they construe their understanding as abstract (high level) and vice versa. We hypothesized different size of digital device will increase psychological distance and result in behaviors that correspond to present construal level. The analysis result shows that users of PC recognized that they are socially distant from the device and those of smartphone felt that they are socially close to the device. However, the device did not have significant effect on attention to essential information, advertisement preference, and immediacy. The implication to academia, practice and future research and limitations are also discussed.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김재휘, 김희연, 부수현, "소셜 미디어를 활용한 공공 캠페인 커뮤니케이션 전략 : 해석수준이론에 따른 메시지 구성과 미디어에 대한 사회적 거리를 중심으로", 광고학연구, 제23권, 제1호, 2012, 183-205.
- 양 윤, 김민혜, "해석수준, 메시지유형, 시간적 거리가 메시지 태도와 구매의도에 미치는 영향", 광고학연구, 제23권, 제2호, 2012, 151-172.
- 이충우, 이동일, "대학원 광고캠페인에서 사회적 거리감에 따른 해석수준 효과", 한국심리학회지 : 소비자.광고, 제17권, 제3호, 2016, 463-487.
- 조형오, "광고상기와 광고태도가 제품구매과정에 미치는 상대적 영향에 대한 구조적 고찰", 마케팅연구, 제12권, 제1호, 1997, 137-156.
- Andrews, G., P. Cuijpers, M.G. Craske, P. McEvoy, and N. Titov, "Computer therapy for the anxiety and depressive disorders is effective, acceptable and practical health care : a meta-analysis", PloS one, Vol.5, No.10, 2010, e13196. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0013196
- Bar-Anan, Y., N. Liberman, and Y. Trope, "The association between psychological distance and construal level : evidence from an implicit association test", Journal of Experimental Psychology : General, Vol.135, No.4, 2006, 609-622. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-34126.96.36.1999
- Begg, C.B. and M. Mazumdar, "Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias", Biometrics, Vol.50, No.4, 1994, 1088-1101. https://doi.org/10.2307/2533446
- Brasel, S.A. and J. Gips, "Tablets, touchscreens, and touchpads : How varying touch interfaces trigger psychological ownership and endowment", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.24, No.2, 2014, 226-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2013.10.003
- Chin, W.W., "The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling", Modern Methods for Business Research, Vol.295, No.2, 1998, 295-336.
- Coulter, K.S., "How Hand Proximity Impacts Consumer Responses to a Persuasive Communication", Psychology and Marketing, Vol.33, No.2, 2016, 135-149. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20860
- Dhar, R. and E.Y. Kim, "Seeing the forest or the trees : Implications of construal level theory for consumer choice", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, 2007, 96-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70014-1
- Easterbrook, P.J., R. Gopalan, J. Berlin, and D.R., Matthews, "Publication bias in clinical research", The Lancet, Vol.337, No.8746, 1991, 867-872. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(91)90201-Y
- Fiedler, K., "Construal level theory as an integrative framework for behavioral decision making research and consumer psychology", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, 2007, 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70015-3
- Fishbein, M. and I. Ajzen, Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior : An introduction to theory and research, Retrieved from Mass. : Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- Friedman, R.S. and J. Forster, "The effects of approach and avoidance motor actions on the elements of creative insight", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 79, No.4, 2000, 477-492. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527
- Fujita, K., Y. Trope, N. Liberman, and M. Levin-Sagi, "Construal levels and self-control", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.90, No.3, 2006, 351-367. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2061
- Fukukura, J., M.J. Ferguson, and K. Fujita, "Psychological distance can improve decision making under information overload via gist memory", Journal of Experimental Psychology : General, Vol.142, No.3, 2013, 658-665. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0030730
- Gefen, D. and D. Straub, "A practical guide to factorial validity using PLS-Graph : Tutorial and annotated example", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.16, No.1, 2005, 91-109.
- Hair, J.F., W.C. Black, B.J. Babin, R.E. Anderson, and R.L. Tatham, Multivariate data analysis (Vol. 6). In : Upper Saddle River, NJ : Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Henderson, M.D. and Y. Trope, "The effects of abstraction on integrative agreements : When seeing the forest helps avoid getting tangled in the trees", Social Cognition, Vol.27, No.3, 2009, 402-417. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.2009.27.3.402
- Henderson, M.D., C.J. Wakslak, K. Fujita, and J. Rohrbach, "Construal level theory and spatial distance", Social Psychology, Vo. 42, 2011, 165-173. https://doi.org/10.1027/1864-9335/a000060
- Henderson, M.D., K. Fujita, Y. Trope, and N. Liberman, "Transcending the 'here' : the effect of spatial distance on social judgment", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.91, No.5, 2006, 845-856. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.115
- Hou, H.-T., "Integrating cluster and sequential analysis to explore learners' flow and behavioral patterns in a simulation game with situated-learning context for science courses : A video-based process exploration", Computers in Human Behavior, 48, 2015, 424-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.02.010
- Huang, N., G. Burtch, Y. Hong, and E. Polman, "Effects of multiple psychological distances on construal and consumer evaluation : A field study of online reviews", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.26, No.4, 2016, 474-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2016.03.001
- Kaufman, G. and M. Flanagan (2016), High-low split : Divergent cognitive construal levels triggered by digital and non-digital platforms, In Proce dings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 2773-2777), ACM.
- Kim, K.J. and S.S. Sundar, "Mobile Persuasion : Can Screen Size and Presentation Mode Make a Difference to Trust?", Human Communication Research, Vol.42, No.1, 2016, 45-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/hcre.12064
- Krishna, A. and N. Schwarz, "Sensory marketing, embodiment, and grounded cognition : A review and introduction", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.24, No.2, 2014, 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2013.12.006
- Lambrecht, A. and C. Tucker, "When does retargeting work? Information specificity in online advertising", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.50, No.5, 2013, 561-576. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.11.0503
- Ledgerwood, A., Y. Trope, and S. Chaiken, "Flexibility now, consistency later : psychological distance and construal shape evaluative responding", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.99, No.1, 2010, 32-51. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019843
- Li, H., T. Daugherty, and F. Biocca, "Impact of 3-D advertising on product knowledge, brand attitude, and purchase intention : The mediating role of presence", Journal of Advertising, Vol.31, No.3, 2002, 43-57. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2002.10673675
- Liberman, N. and J. Frster, "Distancing from experienced self : how global-versus-local perception affects estimation of psychological distance", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.97, No.2, 2009, 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015671
- Liberman, N. and J. Frster, Estimates of spatial distance : a Construal Level Theory perspective, Spatial dimensions of social thought, De Gruyter Mouton, Boston, MA, 2011, 109-128.
- Liberman, N. and Y. Trope, "The psychology of transcending the here and now", Science, Vol.322, No.5905, 2008, 1201-1205. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1161958
- Liberman, N., Y. Trope, and C. Wakslak, "Construal level theory and consumer behavior", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, 2007, 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70017-7
- Lombard, M., R.D. Reich, M.E. Grabe, Bracken, C.C., and T.B. Ditton, "Presence and television, The role of screen size", Human Communication Research, Vol.26, No.1, 2000, 75-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/hcr/26.1.75
- MacKenzie, S.B. and R.J. Lutz, "An empirical examination of the structural antecedents of attitude toward the ad in an advertising pretesting context", Journal of Marketing, Vol.53, No.2, 1989, 48-65. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298905300204
- Rasty, F., C.-J. Chou, and D. Feiz, "The impact of internet travel advertising design, tourists' attitude, and internet travel advertising effect on tourists' purchase intention : the moderating role of involvement", Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, Vol.30, No.5, 482-496. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2013.803394
- Reyt, J.-N. and B.M. Wiesenfeld, "Seeing the forest for the trees : Exploratory learning, mobile technology, and knowledge workers' role integration behaviors", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.58, No.3, 2015, 739-762. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2013.0991
- Ringle, C.M., S. Wende, and J.-M. Becker, SmartPLS 3, Boenningstedt : SmartPLS GmbH, 2015.
- Smith, P.K. and Y. Trope, "You focus on the forest when you're in charge of the trees : power priming and abstract information processing", Journal of personality and Social Psychology, Vol.90, No.4, 2006, 578-596. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Stone Temple Consulting Corporation, Where is the Mobile vs. Desktop Story Going? https://www.stonetemple.com/mobile-vs-desktop-usage-study (Accessed on January 4. 2019).
- Straub, D., M.-C. Boudreau, and D. Gefen, "Validation guidelines for IS positivist research", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.13, No.1, 2004, 380-427.
- Trope, Y. and N. Liberman, "Construal-level theory of psychological distance", Psychological Review, Vol.117, No.2, 2010, 440-463. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Trope, Y. and N. Liberman, "Temporal construal", Psychological Review, Vol.110, No.3, 2003, 403-421. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.110.3.403
- Trope, Y., N. Liberman, and C. Wakslak, "Construal levels and psychological distance : Effects on representation, prediction, evaluation, and behavior", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, 2007, 83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70013-X
- Vallacher, R.R. and D.M. Wegner, "Levels of personal agency : Individual variation in action identification", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.57, No.4, 1989, 660-671. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Van Kerckhove, A., M. Geuens, and I. Vermeir, "The floor is nearer than the sky : How looking up or down affects construal level", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.41, No.6, 2014, 1358-1371.
- Williams, L.E. and J.A. Bargh, "Keeping one's distance : The influence of spatial distance cues on affect and evaluation", Psychological Science, Vol.19, No.3, 2008, 302-308. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02084.x
- Zhang, M. and J. Wang, "Psychological distance asymmetry : The spatial dimension vs. other dimensions", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.19, No.3, 2009, 497-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2009.05.001