- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Walnut phenolic extracts reduce telomere length and telomerase activity in a colon cancer stem cell model
Shin, Phil-Kyung;Zoh, Yoonchae;Choi, Jina;Kim, Myung-Sunny;Kim, Yuri;Choi, Sang-Woon
- Received : 2018.02.14
- Accepted : 2018.09.19
- Published : 2019.02.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Telomeres are located at the chromosomal ends and progressively shortened during each cell cycle. Telomerase, which is regulated by hTERT and c-MYC, maintains telomeric DNA sequences. Especially, telomerase is active in cancer and stem cells to maintain telomere length for replicative immortality. Recently we reported that walnut phenolic extract (WPE) can reduce cell viability in a colon cancer stem cell (CSC) model. We, therefore, investigated the effect of WPE on telomere maintenance in the same model. MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Walnut;colonic neoplasms;stem cells;telomere;telomerase
- Sabate J, Ang Y. Nuts and health outcomes: new epidemiologic evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:1643S-1648S. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.26736Q
- Yu Z, Malik VS, Keum N, Hu FB, Giovannucci EL, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Fuchs CS, Bao Y. Associations between nut consumption and inflammatory biomarkers. Am J Clin Nutr 2016;104:722-8. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.116.134205
- Calcabrini C, De Bellis R, Mancini U, Cucchiarini L, Stocchi V, Potenza L. Protective effect of Juglans regia L. walnut extract against oxidative DNA damage. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2017;72:192-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-017-0609-2
- Feldman EB. The scientific evidence for a beneficial health relationship between walnuts and coronary heart disease. J Nutr 2002;132: 1062S-1101S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.5.1062S
- Tsoukas MA, Ko BJ, Witte TR, Dincer F, Hardman WE, Mantzoros CS. Dietary walnut suppression of colorectal cancer in mice: mediation by miRNA patterns and fatty acid incorporation. J Nutr Biochem 2015;26:776-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2015.02.009
- Lee J, Kim YS, Lee J, Heo SC, Lee KL, Choi SW, Kim Y. Walnut phenolic extract and its bioactive compounds suppress colon cancer cell growth by regulating colon cancer stemness. Nutrients 2016;8:E439. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8070439
- Rampazzo E, Bertorelle R, Serra L, Terrin L, Candiotto C, Pucciarelli S, Del Bianco P, Nitti D, De Rossi A. Relationship between telomere shortening, genetic instability, and site of tumour origin in colorectal cancers. Br J Cancer 2010;102:1300-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605644
- Zhang C, Chen X, Li L, Zhou Y, Wang C, Hou S. The association between telomere length and cancer prognosis: evidence from a meta-analysis. PLoS One 2015;10:e0133174. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0133174
- Zhao Y, Cheng D, Wang S, Zhu J. Dual roles of c-Myc in the regulation of hTERT gene. Nucleic Acids Res 2014;42:10385-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gku721
- Rana C, Piplani H, Vaish V, Nehru B, Sanyal SN. Downregulation of telomerase activity by diclofenac and curcumin is associated with cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis in colon cancer. Tumour Biol 2015;36:5999-6010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3276-7
- Leao R, Apolonio JD, Lee D, Figueiredo A, Tabori U, Castelo-Branco P. Mechanisms of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) regulation: clinical impacts in cancer. J Biomed Sci 2018;25:22. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-018-0422-8
- Miller DM, Thomas SD, Islam A, Muench D, Sedoris K. c-Myc and cancer metabolism. Clin Cancer Res 2012;18:5546-53. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-0977
- Choi J, Shin PK, Kim Y, Hong CP, Choi SW. Metabolic influence of walnut phenolic extract on mitochondria in a colon cancer stem cell model. Eur J Nutr. Forthcoming 2018.
- Anderson KJ, Teuber SS, Gobeille A, Cremin P, Waterhouse AL, Steinberg FM. Walnut polyphenolics inhibit in vitro human plasma and LDL oxidation. J Nutr 2001;131:2837-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.11.2837
- Min SJ, Lim JY, Kim HR, Kim SJ, Kim Y. Sasa quelpaertensis leaf extract inhibits colon cancer by regulating cancer cell stemness in vitro and in vivo. Int J Mol Sci 2015;16:9976-97. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms16059976
- Cawthon RM. Telomere measurement by quantitative PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2002;30:e47. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/30.10.e47
- Hou M, Xu D, Bjorkholm M, Gruber A. Real-time quantitative telomeric repeat amplification protocol assay for the detection of telomerase activity. Clin Chem 2001;47:519-24.
- Sadr M, Noori Mugahi SM, Hassanzadeh G, Nadji SA, Kiani A, Abedini A, Javadi A, Mohammadi F, Masjedi MR, Bahadori M. Telomere shortening in blood leukocytes of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Tanaffos 2015;14:10-6.
- Herbert BS, Hochreiter AE, Wright WE, Shay JW. Nonradioactive detection of telomerase activity using the telomeric repeat amplification protocol. Nat Protoc 2006;1:1583-90. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2006.239
- Liu T, Liang X, Li B, Bjorkholm M, Jia J, Xu D. Telomerase reverse transcriptase inhibition stimulates cyclooxygenase 2 expression in cancer cells and synergizes with celecoxib to exert anti-cancer effects. Br J Cancer 2013;108:2272-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.208
- Duangmano S, Dakeng S, Jiratchariyakul W, Suksamrarn A, Smith DR, Patmasiriwat P. Antiproliferative effects of cucurbitacin B in breast cancer cells: down-regulation of the c-Myc/hTERT/telomerase pathway and obstruction of the cell cycle. Int J Mol Sci 2010;11: 5323-38. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms11125323
- Rozen S, Skaletsky H. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Methods Mol Biol 2000;132:365-86.
- Gilley D, Tanaka H, Herbert BS. Telomere dysfunction in aging and cancer. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2005;37:1000-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2004.09.003
- Aviv A, Anderson JJ, Shay JW. Mutations, cancer and the telomere length paradox. Trends Cancer 2017;3:253-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trecan.2017.02.005
- Astuti Y, Wardhana A, Watkins J, Wulaningsih W, Network PR; PILAR Research Network. Cigarette smoking and telomere length: a systematic review of 84 studies and meta-analysis. Environ Res 2017;158:480-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2017.06.038
- Ennour-Idrissi K, Maunsell E, Diorio C. Telomere length and breast cancer prognosis: a systematic review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2017;26:3-10. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-16-0343
- Fang X, Hu T, Yin H, Yang J, Tang W, Hu S, Xu X. Differences in telomerase activity and the effects of AZT in aneuploid and euploid cells in colon cancer. Int J Oncol 2017;51:525-32. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2017.4043
- Martin SL, Kala R, Tollefsbol TO. Mechanisms for the inhibition of colon cancer cells by sulforaphane through epigenetic modulation of microRNA-21 and human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) down-regulation. Curr Cancer Drug Targets 2018;18:97-106.
- Zhdanov DD, Pokrovsky VS, Pokrovskaya MV, Alexandrova SS, Eldarov MA, Grishin DV, Basharov MM, Gladilina YA, Podobed OV, Sokolov NN. Inhibition of telomerase activity and induction of apoptosis by rhodospirillum rubrum L-asparaginase in cancer Jurkat cell line and normal human CD4+ T lymphocytes. Cancer Med 2017;6:2697-712. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1218
- Lu Y, Leong W, Guerin O, Gilson E, Ye J. Telomeric impact of conventional chemotherapy. Front Med 2013;7:411-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11684-013-0293-z
- Marfil V, Blazquez M, Serrano F, Castell JV, Bort R. Growth-promoting and tumourigenic activity of c-Myc is suppressed by Hhex. Oncogene 2015;34:3011-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2014.240
Supported by : California Walnut Commission, Korean Food Research Institute