- Volume 24 Issue 1
Using the abandoned agricultural by-product corncobs, the most commonly used methylene blue (MB) dyestuffs were removed. This experiment is very meaningful because it is the recycling of resources and the use of environmentally friendly adsorbents. According to the Hauser ratio and porosity analysis, the corncob has a good flow ability of the adsorbent material and many pores, which is very advantageous for MB adsorption. As a result of the experiment, MB concentration of less than 0.005 g/L was very efficiently removed with 10 g/L of bioadsorbent corncob and the maximum adsorption capacity of corncob for MB dyes was obtained at 417.1 mg/g. In addition, adsorption process of MB onto corncob was a physical process according to adsorption energy analysis. Corncob can efficiently and environmentally remove MB in aqueous solution, and is very cost effective and can recycle the abandoned resources.
Adsorption;Agricultural waste;Corncob;Dye removal;Kinetics;Methylene blue
- Annadurai G, Juang RS, Lee DJ. Use of cellulose-based wastes for adsorption of dyes from aqueous solutions. J. Hazard. Mater. 2002;B92:263-274.
- Ahmed MJ, Dhedan SK. Equilibrium isotherms and kinetics modeling of methylene blue adsorption on agricultural wastes-based activated carbons. Fluid Phase Equilib. 2010;317:9-14.
- Lee S, Ong S. Oxalic acid modified rice hull as a sorbent for methylene blue removal. APCBEE Procedia 2014;9:165-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcbee.2014.01.029
- Choi HJ, Kim KH. Parametric study a dyeing wastewater treatment by modified sericite. Environ. Technol. 2016;37:2572-2579. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2016.1155652
- Peydayesh M, Kelishami AR. Adsorption of methylene blue onto Platanus orientalis leaf powder: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 2015;21:1014-1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2014.05.010
- Yagub MT, Sen TK, Afroze S, Ang HM. Dye and its removal from aqueous solution by adsorption: A review. Adv. Colloid Interf. Sci. 2014;209:172-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2014.04.002
- Ebrahimian A, Saberikhah E, Badrouh M, Emami MS. Alkali treated foumanat tea waste as an efficient adsorbent for methylene blue adsorption from aqueous solution. Water Resour. Ind. 2014;6:64-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wri.2014.07.003
- Gong R, Li M, Yang C, Sun Y, Chen J. Removal of cationic dyes from aqueous solution by adsorption on peanut hull. J. Hazard. Mater. 2005;B121:247-250.
- Rafatullah M, Sulaiman O, Hashim R, Ahmad A. Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: A review. J. Hazard. Mater. 2010;177:70-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.12.047
- Balarak D, Jaafari J, Hassani G, et al. The use of low cost adsorbent (Canola residues) for the adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution: Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Colloid Interf. Sci. Commun. 2015;7:16-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colcom.2015.11.004
- Kamel HA, Jibouri A, Wu J, Upreti SR. Continuous ozonation of methylene blue in water. J. Water Process Eng. 2015;8:142-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2015.10.002
- Kumar PS, Abhinaya RV, Arthi V, Gayathrilashmi K, Priyadharshini M, Sivanesan S. Adsorption of methylene blue dye onto surface modified cashew nut shell. Environ. Eng. Manag. J. 2014;13:545-556. https://doi.org/10.30638/eemj.2014.058
- Sych NV, Trofymenko SJ, Poddubnaya OI, et al. Porous structure and surface chemistry of phosphoric acid activated carbon from corncob. Appl. Surf. Sci. 2012;261:75-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.07.084
- Abdelfattah I, Ismail AA, Sayed FA, Almedolab A, Aboeloghait KM. Biosorption of heavy metals ions in real industrial wastewater using peanut husk as efficient and cost effective adsorbent. Environ. Nanotechnol. Monit. Manag. 2016;6:176-183.
Pirbazari AE, Saberikhah E.
$Fe_3O_4$- wheat straw: Preparation, characterization and its application for methylene blue adsorption. Water Res. Ind. 2014;7-8:23-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wri.2014.09.001
- Pereira H, Carvalho D, Huang J, et al. Improvement of methylene blue removal by electrocoagulation/banana peel adsorption coupling in a batch system. Alexandria Eng. J. 2015;54:777-786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2015.04.003
- Argun ME, Guclu D, Karatas M. Adsorption of reactive blue 114 dye by using a new adsorbent: pomelo peel. J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 2014;20:1079-1084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2013.06.045
- Low LW, Teng TT, Morad N, Azahari B. Studies on the adsorption of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution onto low-cost tartaric acid treated bagasse. APCBEE Procedia 2012;1:103-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcbee.2012.03.018
- Vadivelan V, Kumar KV. Equilibrium, kinetics, mechanism, and process design for the sorption of methylene blue onto rice husk. J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 2005;286:90-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.01.007
- Kumar PS, Abhinaya RV, Lashmi KG, Arthi V, Pavithra R, Sathyaselvabala V. Adsorption of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution by agricultural waste: Equilibrium, thermodynamics, kinetics, mechanism and process design. Colloid J. 2011;73:651-661. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1061933X11050061
- Kumar PS, Fernando PSA, Ahmed RT, et al. Effect of temperature on the adsorption of methylene blue dye onto sulphuric acid-treated orange peel. Chem. Eng. Commun. 2014;201:1526-1547. https://doi.org/10.1080/00986445.2013.819352
- Kumar PS, Sivaranjanee R, Vinothini U, Raghavi M, Rajasekar K, Ramakrishnan K. Adsorption of dye onto raw and surface modified tamarind seeds: Isotherms, process design, kinetics and mechanism. Desalin. Water Treat. 2014;52:2620-2633. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2013.792016
Gupta VK, Nayak A. Cadmium removal and recovery from aqueous solutions by novel adsorbents prepared from orange peel and
$Fe_2O_3$nanoparticles. Chem. Eng. J. 2012;80:81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2012.06.007
- Nwadiogbu JO, Ajiwe VIE, Okoye PAC. Removal of crude oil from aqueous medium by sorption on hydrophobic corncobs: Equilibrium and kinetics studies. J. Taibah Univ. Sci. 2016;10:56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtusci.2015.03.014
- El-Sayed G, Yehia MM, Asaad AA. Assessment of activated carbon prepared from corncob by chemical activation with phosphoric acid. Water Res. Ind. 2014;7-8:66-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wri.2014.10.001
- Azubuike CP, Okhamafe AO. Physicochemical, spectroscopic and thermal properties of microcrystalline cellulose derived from corncobs. Int. J. Recycl. Org. Waste Agr. 2012;1:9-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/2251-7715-1-9
- Hameed BH, Ahmad AA. Batch adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by garlic peel, an agricultural waste biomass. J. Hazard. Mater. 2009;164:870-875. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.08.084
- Salazar-Rabage JJ, Leyva-Ramos R, Rivera-Utrilla J, Ocampo-Perez R, Cerino-Cordova FJ. Biosorption mechanism of methylene blue from aqueous solution onto white pine (Pinus durangensis) sawdust: Effect of operating conditions. Sustain. Environ. Res. 2017;7:32-40.
- Yao YJ, Xu FF, Chen M, Xu ZX, Zhu ZW. Adsorption behavior of methylene blue on carbon nanotubes. Bioresour. Technol. 2010;101:3040-3046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.12.042
- Ali RM, Hamad HA, Hussein MM, Malash GF. Potential of using green adsorbent of heavy metal removal from aqueous solutions: Adsorption kinetics, isotherm, thermodynamic, mechanism and economic analysis. Ecol. Eng. 2016;91:317-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.03.015
- Hameed BH, Ahmad AL, Latiff KNA. Adsorption of basic dye (methylene dye) onto activated carbon prepared from rattan sawdust. Dyes Pigm. 2007;75:143-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2006.05.039
- Zhang S, Wang Z, Zhang Y, Pan H, Tao L. Adsorption of methylene blue on organosolv lignin from rice straw. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2016;31:3-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2016.02.001
- Uddin MT, Islam MA, Mahmud S, Rukanuzzaman M. Adsorptive removal of methylene blue by tea waste. J. Hazard. Mater. 2009;164:53-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.07.131
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)