- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Current State of Home Health Nursing for Elderly Patients in Advanced General Hospital
일 상급종합병원 노인 환자의 가정간호 서비스 이용 현황 분석
- Park, Sung Hye (Division of Nursing, Severance Hospital) ;
- Jang, Yeon Soo (College of Nursing, Yonsei University, Mo-Im Kim Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Su Jin (College of Nursing, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2019.09.26
- Accepted : 2019.10.25
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze the current state of home health nursing (HHN) for elders and to provide basic data on policy alternatives for establishing home medical care in the advanced general hospital. Methods: This study was conducted as a secondary data analysis, using electronic medical record (EMR) data of older patients who received HHN more than once from the S advanced general hospital between January 2016 and December 2018. Results: A total of 1,790 patients received HHN visits, with 22,477 visits being made. The mean age was 76.8±7.3 years old, 96.0% of elders had health insurance and 24.6% had orthopedics problems. Of the 1,168 people who visited emergency rooms, the most frequent symptom was pain (23.4%) and all patients visited the hospital at least once and at most 163 times outpatient care during HHN. Causative diseases were degenerative knee joint osteoarthritis (0.6%), surgery for right knee replacement (4.0%), and for dressings (9.7%) in the HHN service content analysis. Conclusion: The progress towards an aging society and the introduction of community care are expected to further enhance the need for HHN which should be able to provide comprehensive and continuous visiting health care services to the older patients. The results of this study are expected to help doctors solve problems not solved by HHN, reduce unnecessary emergency room or outpatient visits, and readmission, while at the same time contributing to the improvement of patient quality of life through efficient patient health care.
- Park SY. Elderly user's satisfaction with day and night care facilities [master's thesis]. Seoul: Chung-Ang University; 2015. p. 1-118.
- Korean Statistical Information Service [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; c2018 [cited 2019 Apr 5]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsListIndex.do?menuId=M_01_01&vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01&parentId=A.1;A41.2;#SelectStatsBoxDiv.
- Kim YJ. The effect of the health status and the economic status on the mental health of the urban elderly and the rural elderly-with the focus on the comparison of the mediation model between the family life and the social life. Rural Society. 2010;20(1):265-308.
- Choi JS, Choi SE, Yeom AR, Yoon JY, Jung HR, Seo NK, et al. 2011 Korea health panel survey. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2013 Dec. Report No.: Research paper 2013-41.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Health and Welfare Statistical Yearbook 2018. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2018.
- Home health nursing history compilation committee. 20-year history and perspectives on home health care. Seoul: HN Science; 2014.
- Ryu H. Current status of costs and utilizations of hospital-based home health nursing care in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(7):1193-1203. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.7.1193 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.7.1193
- Park JH, Yun SY, Kim MJ, Han KJ, Hong KJ, Park SA, et al. Discussion on expansion and establishment of home nursing care. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2002; 32(6):855-866. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.6.855 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.6.855
- Lee SJ. Cost analysis of home health care with activity-based costing(ABC). Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2004;34(6):1117-1128. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.6.1117 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.6.1117
- Ryu HS, Jung K, Lim J. Test on the cost and development on the payment system of home health care nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(3):503-513. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.503 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.503
- Song CR, Lee MK, Hwang MS, Yoon YM. The current state of hospital-based home care services in Korea: Analysis of data on insurance claims for home care from 2007 to 2012. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Home Care Nursing. 2014;21(2):127-138.
- Song CR, Kang IO, Kim YO, Jo HS, Hwang MS. An analysis of the elderly care and management in hospital-based home care agencies. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2008;19(4):660-672.
- Chin YR. Hospital-based home care reinbursement and service use for the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2009;29(2):645-656.
- Chin YR, Hong WL. Changes on hospital-based home care services utilization after long-term care insurance launch. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2011;31(2):371-380.
- Kim MC. It is easier to see a doctor from the first half of next year. The Chosunilbo[Internet]. 2018 Sep 18 [cited 2019 Apr 5]; A8. Available from: https://m.chosun.com/svc/article.html?sname=news&contid=2018091800221#Redyho.
- Kang HC. Policy direction for decreasing the concentration of patients to extra-large hospitals. Health and Welfare Policy Forum. 2014;210:65-76.
- National Health Insurance Service. Main Surgery Statistical Yearbook for 2017. Wonju: National Health Insurance Service; 2018.
- Medical Service Act of Korean Code(2019).
- Kim SY. A study on participation in clinical decision making by home healthcare nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2010;40(6):892-902. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.892 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.892
- Hwang NM, Park SA, Kim YO, Moon YI, Park JS, Ryu HS, et al. A Study for the Enhancement of Accessibility to Community Home Nursing Care Services - The Home Nursing Care Program of Seoul Nurse Association-. Journal of Korean Academy Society Home Care Nursing. 2003;10(1):660-672.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Health and Welfare Statistical Yearbook 2013. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2013.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Health and Welfare Statistical Yearbook 2002 Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2002.
- Park EO. Current State and the Future Tasks of Home Visit Nursing Care in South Korea. Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health. 2019;44(1):28-38. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2019.44.1.028 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2019.44.1.028
- Nam SY. The status of home health care system in Japan and implications. Healthcare Policy Forum. 2018;16(4):67-74.