- Volume 10 Issue 1
License plate recognition camera is dedicated device designed for acquiring images of the target vehicle for recognizing letters and numbers in a license plate. Mostly, it is used as a part of the system combined with server and image analysis module rather than as a single use. However, building a system for vehicle license plate recognition is costly because it is required to construct a facility with a server providing the management and analysis of the captured images and an image analysis module providing the extraction of numbers and characters and recognition of the vehicle's plate. In this study, we would like to develop an embedded type convergent camera (Edge Base) which can expand the function of the camera to not only the license plate recognition but also the security CCTV function together and to perform two functions within the camera. This embedded type convergence camera equipped with a high resolution 4K IP camera for clear image acquisition and fast data transmission extracted license plate area by applying YOLO, a deep learning software for multi object recognition based on open source neural network algorithm and detected number and characters of the plate and verified the detection accuracy and recognition accuracy and confirmed that this camera can perform CCTV security function and vehicle number plate recognition function successfully.
LPR Camera;CCTV;convergence;Edge base;Embedded;Image Analysis Module;Deep Learning SW Technology
- J. H. Yoon. (2017). A study on extraction algorithm of multi-license plate recognition for ITS applications. Doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, 1-118.
- M. A. Ko. (2004). Effective license plate character recognition based on geometric invariant features. Doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University, 1-105.
- D. J. Kim. (2018). Implementation of Parking Management System using Cloud based License Plate Recognition Service. Journal of Digital Contents Society, 19(1), 173-179. DOI : 10.9728/dcs.2018.19.1.173
- H. W. Kang. (2011). License Plate Recognition for Speed and Red Light Enforcement System Based on Character Circumscribed Quadrilateral. Journal of Korean institute of information technology, 9(3), 67-76. http://www.riss.kr/ link?id=A82575539
- E. Polders, et al. (2015). Drivers' Behavioral Responses to Combined Speed and Red Light Cameras. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.81, 153-166. DOI : 10.1016/j.aap.2015.05.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2015.05.006
- B. S. Lee, et al. (2011, Apr). The Recognition of License Plate Characters Using Regional Adaptive Binarization. Proceedings of the Korea Information Processing Society Conference. (pp. 437-440). Seoul : Korea Information Processing Society. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/ article/article SearchResultDetail.do?cn=NPAP09711248
- J. H. Kim. (2013). Malaysian Vehicle License Plate Recognition in Low Illumination Images. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(10), 19-26. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.019
- T. Natio, et al. (1999, Oct). License Plate Recognition Method for Inclined Plates Outdoors. International Conference on Information Intelligence and Systems. (pp. 304-312). Bethesda, MD : IEEE Computer society. DOI : 10.1109/ICIIS.1999.810281
- D. Bissessar & D.O. Gorodnichy. (2011, May). Integrating LPR with CCTV systems: problems and solutions. In Automatic Target Recognition XXI (Vol.8049, p.80490T). Orlando, FL : International Society for Optics and Photonics. DOI : 10.1117/12.883540
- B. J. Kim, D. H. Kim & J. H. Lee. (2016). An Improved License Plate Recognition Technique in Outdoor Image. Journal of Korean institute of intelligent systems, 26(5), 423-431. DOI : 10.5391/JKIIS.2016.26.5.423 https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2016.26.5.423
- B. C. Kim. (2013). An intelligent video security system for the tracking of multiple moving objects. The Journal of digital policy & management, 11(10), 359-366. DOI : 10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.359
- H. C. Kwon. (2015). A Study on Efficient Vehicle Tracking System using Dynamic Programming Method. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(12), 209-215. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.209
- C. J. Seo. (2014). Artificial Vision System using Human Visual Information Processing. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(11), 349-355. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.349
- K. H. Kim, et al. (2003, May). Car Plate Extraction and Recognition System Using DSP Board. Proceedings of the Korea Information Processing Society Conference. (pp. 627-630). Seoul : Korea Information Processing Society. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/article/articleSearchResultDetail.do?cn=NPAP08040394
- M. J. Kang, H. M. Kang, Y. W. Woo & K. B. Kim. (2008). Intelligent Recognition System of Car License Plate. Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Information and Commucation Sciences Conference. (pp. 337-342). Busan : The Korea Institute of Information and Commucation Engineering. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/article/articleSearchResultDetail.do?cn=NPAP08297842