- Volume 8 Issue 1
The radish skin and radish greens are an edible part of the radish. But they are removed before eating the radish and used as a byproduct or an animal feed material because of their tough and rough texture. This study was conducted to investigate the effect of supercritical heat-treated radish-extract on UV-induced HRM-2 wrinkled mouse animal model on anti-aging wrinkles. Supercritical heat-treated radish-extract was applied on the back of seven-weeks old HRM-2 mice. The effect of HRE on skin thickness, elasticity and wrinkle formation of the mice was observed by using UVB lamp to induce melanogenesis and wrinkle formation. As the result, increased depth of wrinkles was observed in the negative control group in comparison to the normal group. In contrast, decreased depth of wrinkles was observed in the radish-extract-free group compared to the negative control group. In the study of the effect of radish-extract on wrinkle-formation related gene expression and protein what protein expression, MMP-2 and MMP-9 gene expression significantly increased in the negative control group compared to the normal group. The gene expression reduced in dependence to the mass of radish-extract treated. Similar to quantitative results of mRNA expression, the expression of MMP-2 protein increased as a result of UVB-irradiation. The MMP-2 expression was inhibited in dependence to the mass of radish-extract treated. In conclusion, the supercritical heat-treated radish-extract has an effect on improving skin wrinkles not only when it is applied to the skin but also when orally ingested. Thus, it can be effectively used as a composition to health functional products. Therefore we can also conclude that radish a food that does not show any side-effects even upon long-term intake can reduce wrinkle formation as well as improve skin elasticity when taken regularly for a long period.
Korean radish;Epidermal growth factor;Anti-wrinkle effect;Anti-aging effect;UVB
- S. C. Kim, “A Low-Complexity antenna selection algorithm for quadrature spatial modulation systems,” International Journal of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication (IJIBC), Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 72-80, January 2017 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7236/IJIBC.2017.9.1.72.
- J. S. Jung, J. Kwon, S. H. Jung, M. W. Lee, V. Mariappan, and J. S. Cha, “Impact of SV40 T antigen on two multiple fission microalgae species Scenedesmus quadricauda and chlorella vulgaris,” International Journal of Advanced Smart Convergence(IJASC), Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 82-88, March 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2017.6.1.82. https://doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2017.6.1.82
- E. G. Ahmed, and H. Y. Seung, “Impact of SV40 T antigen on two multiple fission microalgae species scenedesmus quadricauda and chlorella vulgaris,” International Journal of advanced smart convergence(IJASC), Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 48-63, June 2018. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2018.7.1.7.
- H. J. Jeon, J. Hafeez, A. Hamacher, S. Lee, and S. C. Kwon, “ A study on the quality of photometric scanning under variable illumination conditions,” International Journal of advanced smart convergence(IJASC), Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 88-95, June 2017. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2017.6.4.13.
- D. B. Kim, E.Y. Ahn and E. J. Kim, "Improvement of insulin resistance by curcumin in high fat diet fed mice, The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 315-323, February 2018. DOI: http://dx.doi/10.17703/JCCT.2018.4.1.315.
- J. L. Kim, and H. J. Kim, “A study of control capacity structure of by the lipoid state of stratum on the skin,” The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 37-41, August 2017. DOI: http:dx.doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2017.3.3.37.
- J.N. Lee, S. W. Kim, Y. K. Yoo, G. T. Lee, and K. K Lee, “Anti-wrinkle effect of Morinda citrifolia(Noni) extracts,” The of the Society of Cosmetic Scientists of korea, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 227-231, November 2006. DOI: http://dbkoreascholor.com/article.aspx?code=266485.
- C. Saliou, M. Ktazawa, L. Mclaughlin, J. P. Yang, J. K. Lodge, T. Tetsuka, K. Lwasaki, J. Cillard, T. Okamoto, and L. Packer, "Antioxidants modulate acute solar ultraviolet radiation-induced NF-Kappa-B activation in a human keratinocyte cell line," Free radical Biology and Medicine, Vol. 26(1-2), pp. 174-183, January 1999. DOI: https:doi.org/10.1016/s0891-5849(98)00212-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00212-3
- E. Cadenas, "Biochemistry of oxygen toxicity," Annual Review of Biochemistry, Vol. 58, pp. 79-111, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annuarey.bi.58.070189.000455. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.58.070189.000455
- M. Yaar and B. A. Gilchrest, “Aging versus photoaging, postulated mechanisms and effectors,” Journal of investing dermatol. symposium Proceedings, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 47-51, August 1998.
- J. J. Li, Z. Dong, M. I. Dawson and N.H. Colburn, “Inhibition of tumor promoter-induced transformation by retinoids the transrepress AP-1 without transactivation retinoic acid response element,” Cancer Research, Vol. 56, No. 3, pp. 483-489, February 1996.
- C. Huang, W. Y. Ma, M. I. Dawson, M. Rincon, R. A. Flavell and Z. Dong, “Blocking activator protein I activity, but not activation retinoic acid response effect of retinoic acid,” Proc. Acad. Sci, USA, Vol. 94, No. 11, pp. 5826-5830, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.11.5826
- C. Kim, S.B. Jeong, G. H. Im, M. H. Gang, J. H. An, J. H. Kim and H. Lee," Development of multifunctional natural sunscreen(BHC-S) Having sunscreening and anti-wrinkle," The Society of Cosmetic Scientists of Korea, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 321-327, December 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15230/scsk.2017.43.4.321. https://doi.org/10.15230/scsk.2017.43.4.321
- H. Mukhtar, and C. A. Elmets, “Photocarcinogenesis: mechanisms, models and human health implications,” Journal photochemistry and photobiology, Vol. 63, No. 4, pp. 355-357, April 1996. DOI: http://doi.org/10. 1111/j.1751-1091.1996.tb03040.X https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1996.tb03039.x
- M. Podda and M. G. Kollmann, "Low molecular weight antioxidants and their role in skin ageing," Clin. Exp. Dermatol, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 578-308, July 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.10461/j.1365-2230.2001.00902.x. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2230.2001.00902.x
- S. Brown, B.L. Diffey, “The effect of applied thickness on sunscreen protection : in vivo and in vitro studies,” Journal photochemistry and photobiology, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 509-513, October 1986. DOI: https:doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097. 1986.tb04700.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1986.tb04700.x
- C. Lee, “Anti-aging effects of marine natural extracts against uvb-induced damages in human skin cells,” The Society of Cosmetic Scientists of Korea, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 255-262, September 2012. DOI: http://dbkoreascholar. com/ article.aspx?code=266720. https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2012.38.3.255
- K. H. Ku, K. A. Lee and Y. E. Kim, “Physiological activity of extracts from radish(Raphanus sativus L.) leaves,” Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science Nutrition., Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 390-395, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.390
- D. L Bissett, D. P. Hannon and T. V. Orr, "An animal model of solar-aged skin: histological, physical, and visible changes in UV-irradiated hairless mouse skin," Photochem Photobiol, Vol. 46, No. 3 pp. 367-78. September 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1987.tb04783.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1987.tb04783.x
- R. D. Cardiff, C. H. Miller and R.J. Munn, "Manual hematoxylin and eosin staining of mouse tissue sections," Cold Spring Harb Protoc, Vol. 2014, No. 6 pp. 655-658. June 2014. DOI: http://doi.10.1101.proto73411.
- J. Y. Chang and H.P. Kessler, "Masson trichrome stain helps differentiate myofibroma from smooth muscle lesions in the head and neck region," J Formos Med Assoc, Vol. 107, No. 10, pp. 767-773. October 2008. DOI: http:// doi:10.1016/s0929-6646(08)60189-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-6646(08)60189-8
- D. J. Tobin, "Introduction to skin aging," Journal of tissue viability, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 37-46. February 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtv.2016.03.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtv.2016.03.002
- Y. R. Helfrich, D. L. Sachs and J. J. Voorhees, "Overview of skin aging and photoaging," Dermatol Nurs., Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 177-183; quiz 184. June 2008.
- G. J Fisher, S. Kang, J. Varani, B. Csorgoz, Y. Wan, S. Datta, J. J. Voorhees, "Mechanisms of photoaging and chronological skin aging," Archives of dermatology, Vol. 138, No. 11, pp. 1462-1470. November 2002. DOI: https: //10.1001/archderm.138.11.1462.
- M. El-Domyati, S, Attia, F. Saleh, D. Brown, D. E. Birk, F. Gasparro, H. Ahmad, J. Vitto, "Intrinsic aging vs. photoaging: a comparative histopathological, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of skin," Experimental dermatology, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 398-405. October 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1034/j. 1600-0625.2002.110502.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0625.2002.110502.x