- Volume 8 Issue 1
Energy autonomy is a system that is sustained by energy from an independent and distributed source such as renewable energy. In this paper, we propose a robotic energy autonomy in which a robot obtains energy from a renewable energy source with a limited storage capacity. As an energy transfer method, wireless power transfer is used to solve the problem of the conventional contact charging method, mechanical complexity, and to obtain high energy transfer efficiency, the image information is used to align the transmitting and receiving coils accurately. A small scale thermoelectric energy source with boost converter, battery charger, and wireless power transfer coil is constructed and an actual charging experiment is conducted to verify the proposed autonomy system.
Robotic Energy autonomy;Renewable energy;Thermoelectric energy source;Wireless power transfer;Image information
- Keun Mo, KooKyung, and Chul Shin, Apparatus for Automatic charging of the autonomous mobile robot and method for automatic charging used the same. Korean Patent 1020080060535, 2008.
- Kartoun U, Stern H, Edan Y, Feied C, Handler J, Smith M and Gillam M, "Vision-Based Autonomous Robot Self-Docking and Recharging," in Proceedings of the World Automation Congress, pp. 1-8, 2006. DOI: 10.1109/WAC.2006.375987.
- Sehoon Park and Yun-Jung Lee, "Entertainment Walking Robot that Feeds on Batteries", in Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2035-2040, 2007. DOI: 10.1109/IROS.2007.4399395.
- Yi-Cheng Wu, Ming-Chang Teng and Yi-Jeng Tsai, "Robot Docking Station for Automatic Battery Exchanging and Charging", in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 1043-1046, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ROBIO.2009.4913144.
- Chris Melhuish, Ioannis Ieropoulos, John Greenman and Ian Horsfield, "Energetically autonomous robots: Food for thought", Autonomous Robots, Vol 21, pp. 187-198, 2006. DOI: 10.1007/s10514-006-6574-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10514-006-6574-5
- Jake J. Abbott, Zoltan Nagy, Felix Beyeler and Bradley J. Nelson "Robotics in the Small", IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol 14, pp. 92-103, 2007. DOI: 10.1109/MRA.2007.380641 https://doi.org/10.1109/MRA.2007.380641
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power (Accessed on Jan./15/2019)
- Kim J, Rho S, Moon C and Ahn H, "Imaging Processing based a Wireless Charging System with a mobile Robot", Computer Applications for Database, Education, and Ubiquitous Computing, Communications in Computer and Information Science, 352, pp. 298-301, 2012. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-35603-2_44 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-35603-2_44
- Ivan Cortes and Won-jong Kim, "Autonomous Positioning of a Mobile Robot for Wireless Charging Using Computer Vision and Misalignment-Sensing Coils", in Proceedings of Annual American Control Conference, pp. 4324-4329, 2018. DOI: 10.23919/ACC.2018.8431723
- Ali Bin Junaid, Aleksay Konoiko, Yahya Zweiri, M. Necip Sahinkaya and Lakmal Seneviratne "Autonomous Wireless Self-Charging for Multi-Rotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicles", Energies, 10, 803, 2017. DOI: 10.3390/en10060803 https://doi.org/10.3390/en10060803
- Yang Peng, Zi Li, Wensheng Zhang and Daji Qiao, "Prolonging Sensor Network Lifetime Through Wireless Charging", in Proceedings of 31st IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, 2010. DOI: 10.1109/RTSS.2010.35
- Kim, J.-O., and Moon, C., "A Vision-Based Wireless Charging System for Robot Trophallaxis", International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5772/62043
- Callum Rae and Fiona Bradley, "Energy autonomy in sustainable communities-A review of key issues", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 16, Issue 9, pp. 6497-6506, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.08.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.08.002
- Christopher D. Rahn and Chao-Yang Wang, Battery Systems Engineering, Wiley, 2013
- Yongguo Mei, Yung-Hsiang Lu, Y. Charlie Hu, and C.S. George Lee, "A Case Study of Mobile Robot's Energy Consumption and Conservation Techniques", in Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Advanced Robotics, pp. 492-497, 2005. DOI: 10.1109/ICAR.2005.1507454
- Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Thermoelectric_effect (Accessed on Jan./15/2019)
- Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Operating_System (Accessed on Jan./15/2019)
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)