- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Mobile App Strategy: An Empirical Study on the Effect of the Mobile Shopping App Usage
모바일 애플리케이션 전략: 모바일 쇼핑 앱 사용 효과 실증 연구
- Received : 2018.08.31
- Accepted : 2019.11.11
- Published : 2019.12.31
The growth of mobile commerce (m-commerce) has been accelerated around the world. Why do e-retailers have to put a great deal of effort for the distribution of their mobile apps? The literature has paid little attention to the influence of the introduction of an e-commerce app on shopping behaviors of consumers. By analyzing the dataset of 2,342 users in Korea, this study aims to broaden our understanding of mobile shopping app usage across competing e-retailers and different channels. We found that a user's prior usage of a specific e-commerce mobile app increases her subsequent usage of its website through a mobile web browser. Thus, mobile apps do not cannibalize the mobile web channel, and there could be a complementary relationship. We also found that a user's usage of competitors' apps is positively associated with her subsequent usage of a specific e-commerce app. Because many consumers search products and compare prices across multiple e-retailers, having a mobile app helps an e-retailer be exposed to more potential consumers. This study is among the first to study the role of mobile apps in e-commerce by showing the dynamics of cross-channel and cross-vendor usage by a user.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- 정남호, 이건창 2005. "PDA 중심의 모바일 기술을 활용하는 업무에서 개인특성을 고려한 업무-기술 적합성이 성과에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (6:1), pp. 71-84.
- 조우철, 임재익, 양성병 2014. "특수목적용 모바일 앱의 성공요인에 관한 실증연구: A 대학교 모바일 캠퍼스 앱을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (15:3), pp. 13-36.
- Argote, L., and Epple, D. 1990. "Learning Curves in Manufacturing," Science (247:4945), pp. 920-924. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.247.4945.920
- Bang, Y., Han, K., Animesh, A., and Hwang, M. 2013. "From Online to Mobile: Linking Consumers' Online Purchase Behaviors with Mobile Commerce Adoption," Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, Jeju Island, Korea.
- Brengman, M., Geuens, M., Weijters, B., Smith, S. M., and Swinyard, W. R. 2005. "Segmenting Internet Shoppers Based on Their Web-Usage-Related Lifestyle: A Cross-Cultural Validation," Journal of Business Research (58:1), pp. 79-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00476-9
- Chen, C. 2013. "Perceived R isk, Usage Frequency of Mobile Banking Services," Managing Service Quality: An International Journal (23:5), pp. 410-436. https://doi.org/10.1108/MSQ-10-2012-0137
- Chong, A. Y.-L. 2013. "Mobile Commerce Usage Activities: The Roles of Demographic and Motivation Variables," Technological Forecasting and Social Change (80:7), pp. 1350-1359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2012.12.011
- Emmanouilides, C., and Hammond, K. 2000. "Internet Usage: Predictors of Active Users and Frequency of Use," Journal of Interactive Marketing (14:2), pp. 17-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6653(200021)14:2<17::AID-DIR2>3.0.CO;2-E
- Forsythe, S. M., and Shi, B. 2003. "Consumer Patronage and Risk Perceptions in Internet Shopping," Journal of Business research (56:11), pp. 867-875. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00273-9
- Ghose, A., Goldfarb, A., and Han, S. P. 2012. "How Is the Mobile Internet Different? Search Costs and Local Activities," Information Systems Research (24:3), pp. 613-631.
- Ghose, A ., and Park, S. H. 2013. " The Negative Impact of Mobile Devices on Niche Product Consumption," in Proceedings of International Conference on Information Systems-34 (ICIS-34), Dublin, Ireland.
- Gupta, S. 2013. "For Mobile Devices, Think Apps, Not Ads," Harvard Business Review (91:3), pp. 70-75.
- Kang, J.-Y. M., Mun, J. M., and Johnson, K. K. 2015. "In-Store Mobile Usage: Downloading and Usage Intention toward Mobile Location-Based Retail Apps," Computers in Human Behavior (46), pp. 210-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.01.012
- Kim, M., Kim, J., Choi, J., and Trivedi, M. 2017. "Mobile Shopping through Applications: Understanding Application Possession and Mobile Purchase," Journal of Interactive Marketing (39), pp. 55-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2017.02.001
- Kim, S. H., T. Mukhopadhyay, and R. Kraut. 2016. "When Does Repository KMS Use Lift P erformance? T he R ole o f A lternative Knowledge Sources and Task Environments," MIS Quarterly (40:1), pp. 133-156. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2016/40.1.06
- Ko, D. G., and Dennis, A. R. 2011. "Profiting from Knowledge Management: The Impact of Time and Experience," Information Systems Research (22:1), pp. 134-152. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1090.0247
- Ma, X., Kim, S. H., and Kim, S.S. 2014. "Online Gambling Behavior: The Impacts of Cumulative Outcomes, Recent Outcomes, and Prior Use, " Information Systems Research (25:3), pp. 511-527. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2014.0517
- Morrison, L. G., Hargood, C., Lin, S. X., Dennison, L., Joseph, J., Hughes, S., and Little, P. 2014. "Understanding usage of a hybrid website and smartphone app for weight management: a mixed-methods study," Journal of medical Internet research, (16:10), e201. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3579
- Nylander, S., Lundquist, T., Brannstrom, A., and Karlson, B. 2009. ""It's Just Easier with the Phone"-a Diary Study of Internet Access from Cell Phones," International Conference on Pervasive Computing: Springer , pp. 354-371.
- Siwicki, B. 2014. "Mobile Commerce Will Be Nearly Half of E-Commerce by 2018. Internet Retailer," https://www.internetretailer.com/2014/03/10/mobile commerce will be nearly half e-commerce 2018, 2014.
- Verhoef, P. C., Kannan, P. K., and Inman, J. J. 2015. "From Multi-Channel Retailing to Omni- Channel Retailing: Introduction to the Special Issue on Multi-Channel Retailing," Journal of retailing (91:2), pp. 174-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2015.02.005
- Zhou, T. 2013. "An Empirical Examination of Continuance Intention of Mobile Payment Services," Decision support systems (54:2), pp. 1085-1091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.10.034