- Volume 52 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Petrographic Characteristics and Deterioration Evaluation of the Rock-carved Seated Buddha at Bugmireugam Hermitage in Daeheungsa Temple of Haenam, Korea
해남 대흥사 북미륵암 마애여래좌상의 암석기재적 특성과 손상도 평가
- Cho, Ji Hyun (Buyeo National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage) ;
- Lee, Chan Hee (Department of Cultural Heritage Conservation Sciences, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2019.11.12
- Accepted : 2019.11.28
- Published : 2019.12.28
In this study, we investigated the petrographic characteristics and physical property of the Rock-carved Seated Buddha at Bugmireugam hermitage of Daeheungsa temple in Haenam. The Buddha Statue was carved on micrographic granite, and the rock was composed of the fine quartz encircled by orthoclase. The results of diagnosis for deterioration evaluation have shown a highly damage rate of black contaminants (8.4%) and crack index (6.6). The ultrasonic velocity have detected SW (slightly weathered) grade of weathering coefficient (mean 0.18). Various weathering factor on the surface of the Buddha Statue was affected by precious shelter, and physical property with ultrasonic was directly influenced by the structural characteristics and fissure of host rock.
- Cho, J.H., Lee, C.H., Kim, J., Morii, M., Lee, M.S. and Kim, S.D. (2012) Deterioration evaluation and material characteristics of the Usuki stone Buddha Statues in Oita, Japan. Journal of Conservation Science, v.28. p.39-52. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2012.28.1.039
- Iliev, I.G. (1966) An attempt to estimate the degree of weathering of intrusive rocks from their physical-mechanical properties. Proceedings of the International Congress on Rock Mechanics, v.1, p.109-114.
- Jo, Y.H. and Lee, C.H. (2011) Making method of deterioration map and evaluation techniques of surface and three-dimensional deterioration rate for stone cultural heritage. Journal of Conservation Science, v.27, p.251-260. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, S.W. and Park, Y.D. (1967) Explanatory text of the geological map of Namchang sheet (1:50,000). Geological Survey of Korea. (in Korean)
- Lee, C.H., Chun, Y.G., Jo, Y.H. and Suh, M. (2012a) Evaluation of slope stability and deterioration degreee for Bangudae Petroglyphs in Ulsan, Korea. Journal of Conservation Science, v.28, p.153-164. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2012.28.2.153
- Lee, C.H. and Jo, Y.H. (2017) Correlation and correction factor between direct and indirect methods for the ultrasonic measurement of stone samples. Environmental Earth Science, v.76, p.477-489. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-6810-7
- Lee, C.H., Jo, Y.H. and Kim, S.D. (2012b) Three-dimensional image analysis, deterioration evaluation and scientific conservation treatment of the Daechiri dinosaur trackways in Haman Country, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.48, p.179-191. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Lee, C.H., Jo, Y.H. and Chun, Y.G. (2009) Establishment of ultrasonic measurement and correlations of direct-indirect method for weathering evaluation of stone cultural heritage. Journal of Conservation Science, v.25, p.233-244. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Lee, G.H., Park, J.H. and Lee, C.H. (2019) Conservation scientific diagnosis and evaluation of bird track sites from the Haman Formation at Yongsanri in Haman, Korea. Korean Journal of Cultural Heritage Studies, v.52, p.74-93. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Lee, J.I. (1992) Mineralogy and petrography of the shallow depth emplaced granitic rocks distributed in the southern part of the Kyeongsang Basin, Korea. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, v.13, p.176-199.
- May, E., Lewis, F.J., Pereira, S., Seaward, M.R.D. and Allsopp, D. (1993) Microbial deterioration of building stone -A review. Biodeterioration Abstracts, v.7, p.109-123.
- Mok, J., Lee, E.M. and Lee, W.W. (1994) Daeheungsa (Daedunsa). Daewonsa, p.7-85. (in Korean)
- Moon, H.S., Kim, Y.H., Kim, J.H. and You, J.H. (1990) K-Ar ages of alunite and sericite in altered rocks, and volcanic rocks around the Haenam area, southwest Korea. Journal of the Korean Institute of Mining Geology, v.23, p.135-141. (in Korean with English abstract)
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage (2018) A study on repair techniques of stone architectural heritage 4. Conservation of stone pagodas. National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage, p.70-76. (in Korean)
- Shin, I.H. and Nam, K.S. (1993) Petrological and geochemical study of the Cretaceous granitic rocks in the Haenam area. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, v.14, p.75-88. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Yoo, J.H., Lee, C.H. and Eo, E.I. (2012) Evaluation of deterioration diagnosis and conservation environments of the large and the giant dinosaur footprint fossils in Haenam Uhangri, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.48, p.325-340. (in Korean with English abstract)