- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Variations in antioxidant activity in Protaetia brevitarsis larvae depending on the feeding source
먹이원에 따른 흰점박이꽃무지(Protaetia brevitarsis) 유충의 항산화활성
- Kim, Hye Soo (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Hyun-Young (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kwon, Hyun-Sook (National Institute of Korean Medicine Development) ;
- Lee, Sang-Ho (Agricultural Corporation Company Dodaum) ;
- Ha, Jun (Agricultural Corporation Company Dodaum) ;
- Lee, Sang-Won (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Soo-Jeong (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- 김혜수 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 박현영 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 권현숙 (한국한의약진흥원) ;
- 이상호 (농업회사법인 도다움) ;
- 하준 (농업회사법인 도다움) ;
- 이상원 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 조수정 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과)
- Received : 2019.12.06
- Accepted : 2019.12.23
- Published : 2019.12.31
The objective of this study was to evaluate the antioxidant activity of extracts of Protaetia brevitarsis larvae fed on fermented oak sawdust (FOS) or spent mushroom substrates (SMS, Pleurotus eryngii). Total polyphenol content was 32% higher in extracts of larvae fed on SMS (P. eryngii) (75.33±0.43 mg GAE/g) than in extracts of larvae fed on FOS (57.02±1.73 mg GAE/g). The flavonoid content of extracts of larvae grown on FOS and SMS (P. eryngii) was 24.6±0.28 mg/g and 25.4±0.75 mg/g, respectively. DPPH radical scavenging activity increased in an extract concentration-dependent manner, and the DPPH radical scavenging capacity of the extract of larvae produced on SMS (P. eryngii) was higher than that of the larvae produced on FOS. The reducing power of the larval extracts produced on FOS and SMS (P. eryngii) increased in an extract concentration-dependent manner, but there was no significant difference between them. The extract of larvae fed on SMS (P. eryngii) (66.55±0.99 uM TE/g) had a higher oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) than extracts of larvae grown on FOS (76.32±0.48 uM TE/g). The effect of larval extracts on cell proliferation was investigated using a WST-1 (4-[3-(4-iodophenyl)-2-(4-nitrophenyl)-2H-5-tetrazolio]-1,3-benzene disulfonate) assay on RAW 264.7 cells. When cells were treated with larval extracts produced on FOS and SMS (P. eryngii) at concentrations of 0, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 40, and 64 mg/ml, RAW 264.7 cells proliferated at 90% or more. Therefore, larval extracts produced on FOS and SMS (P. eryngii) were not toxic to RAW 264.7 cells.
Supported by : 농수산식품기술기획평가원(IPET)
- Aburjai T, Natsheh FM. 2003. Plants used in cosmetics. Phytother Res 17: 987-1000. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1363
- Aitken RJ, Bukingham D, Harkiss D. 1993. Use of xanthine oxidase free radical generating system to investigate the cytotoxic effect of reactive oxygen species on human spermatozoa. J Reprod Fertil 97: 441-450. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0970441
- Baublis AJ, Lu C, Clydesdale FM, Decker EA. 2000. Potential of wheat-based breakfast cereals as a source of dietary antioxidants. J Am Coll Nutr 19: 308S-311S. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718965
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Bukkens SGF. 1996. The nutritional value of edible insects. Ecol Food Nutr 36: 287-319.
- Cao G, Alessio HM, Cutler RG. 1993. Oxygen-radical absorbance capacity assay for antioxidants. Free Radic Biol Med 14: 303-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(93)90027-R
- Cha JY. 2009. Functional components and biological activities of marketing black garlic. MS Thesis. Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Korea.
- Cho DH, Cho YM, Lee JI. 2003. Fruitbody formation of Cordyceps militaris in Allomyrina dichotoma Linnaeus. Korean J Plant Res 16: 1-7.
- Choi KH, Nam HH, Choo BJ. 2013. Effect of five Korean native Taraxacum on antioxidant activity and nitric oxide production inhibitory activity. Korean J Med Crop Sci 21: 191-196. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2013.21.3.191
- Choi MH, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2019. Antioxidant activity and quality evaluation of the larvae of Protaetia brevitarsis after feeding with Korean Panax ginseng. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 48: 403-409. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2019.48.4.403
- Chung HJ. 2010. Antioxidative activities of different part extracts of Physalis alkekengi var. francheti (Winter Cherry). Korean J Food Preserv 17: 867-873.
- Chung MY, Hwang JS, Goo TW, Yun EY. 2013. Analysis of general composition and harmful material of Protaetia brevitarsis. J Life Sci 23: 664-668. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.5.664
- Droge W. 2001. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 82: 47-951.
- Francoeur AM, Assalian A. 1996. Microcat: A novel cell proliferation and cytotoxicity assay based on WST-1. Biochemica 3: 19-25.
- Halliewell B, Gutterridge JM. 1990. Roles of free radicals and catalytic metal ions in human disease: an overview. In S. Fleischer, & L. Packer, (ed.), Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Hwang SY, Lee YG, Hwang SG, Lim HB, Kim YI, Jang KH, Byng HJ, Lee DW, Lee HC. 2001. Subchronic toxicity of Protaetia brevitarsis in rats. Kor Ori Med Physiol Pathol 15: 703-707.
- Jin YW, Fook YC. 2009. Antioxidant properties of selected tropical wild edible mushrooms. J Food Compos Anal 22: 269-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.11.021
- Kang IJ, Kim HK, Chung CK, Kim SJ, Oh D. 2000. Effects of Protaetia orientalis (Gory et Perchlon) larva on the lipid metabolism in ethanol administered rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 479-484.
- Kim DJ, Oh SK, Yoon MR, Chun AR, Hong HC, Lee JS, Kim YK. 2010. Antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of the 70% ethanol extracts from brown and milled rice by cultivar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 467-473. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.467
- Kim HG, Kang KH. 2005. Bionomical characteristic of Protaetia brevitarsis. Korean J Appl Entomol 44: 139-144.
- Kim HG, Kang KH. 2006. Imago's flight and larval activities of Protaetia brevitarsis (Coleoptera: Scarabaedia) and Allomyrina dichotoma (Coleoptera: Dynastinae). Korean J Appl Entomol 45: 139-143.
- Kim SC, Kwon HS, Kim CH, Kim HS, Lee CY, Cho SJ. 2016. Comparison of Antioxidant Activities of Pileus and Stipe from White Beech Mushrooms (Hypsizygus marmoreus). J Life Sci 26: 928-935. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2016.26.8.928
- Lee HC, Hwang SY, Hwang SG, Jeon BH, Lee DW. 2001. Acute toxicity of Protaetia brevitarsis homogenate in rats. Kor Ori Med Physiol Pathol 15: 543-547.?
- Lee SU, Kim JW, Bae SM, Hwang YH, Lee BJ, Honh KP, Park CG. 2018. Evaluation of spent mushroom substrates as food for white-spotted flower chafer, Protaetia brevitarsis seulensis (Cleoptera: Cetoniidae). Korean J Appl Entomol 57: 97-104.
- Makato O. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jap J Nutr 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Matsuzawa T, Sano M, Tomita I, Saitoh H, Ohkawa M, Ikekawa T. 1998. Studies on antioxidants of Hypsizygus marmoreus. II. Effects of Hypsizygus marmoreus for antioxidants activities of tumor-bearing mice. Yakugaku Zasshi 118: 476-481. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi1947.118.10_476
- Middleton E, Kandaswami C. 1994. Potential health-promoting properties of citrus flavonoids. Food Technol 48: 115-119.
- Noh CW, Jeon SH, Son D, Cho YS, Lee BJ. 2015. Changes of nutritive component with before processing feeding type for larva of Protaetia brevitarsis. J Korean Soc Int Agric 27: 675-681. https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2015.27.5.675
- Park JY, Heo JC, An SM, Yun EY, Han SM, Hwang JS, Kang SW, Yun CY, Lee SH. 2005. High throughput-compatible screening of anti-oxidative substances by insect extract library. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 482-488.
- Rice-Evans C, Miller N, Paganga G. 1997. Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds. Trends Plant Sci 2: 152-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(97)01018-2
- Singleton VL. 1981. Naturally occurring food toxicants: phenolic substances of plant origin common in foods. Adv Food Res 27: 149-242.
- Verckei A, Toncsev H, Feher J, Hajdu E. 1992. Relationship between the extent of coronary artery disease and indicators of free radical activity. Clin Cardiol 15: 706-707. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.4960150920
- Yoon WJ, Lee JA, Kim JY, Kim SB, Park SY. 2007. Antioxidant activity and physiological function of the Anomala albopilosa extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 670-677. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.670
- Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W. 1998. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem 64: 555-559.