- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Numerical investigation on vortex-induced vibration response characteristics for flexible risers under sheared-oscillatory flows
- Xue, Hongxiang (State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Yuan, Yuchao (State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Tang, Wenyong (State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Received : 2019.03.25
- Accepted : 2019.05.05
- Published : 2019.02.18
Surge motion of top-end platform induced by periodic wave makes marine flexible riser encounter equivalent sheared-oscillatory flow, under which the Vortex-induced Vibration (VIV) response will be more complicated than pure sheared flow or oscillatory flow cases. Based on a time domain force-decomposition model, the VIV response characteristics under sheared-oscillatory flows are investigated numerically in this paper. Firstly, the adopted numerical model is validated well against laboratory experiments under sheared flow and oscillatory flow. Then, 20 sheared-oscillatory flow cases with different oscillation periods and top maximum current velocities are designed and simulated. Under long and short oscillation period cases, the structural response presents several similar features owing to the instantaneous sheared flow profile at each moment, but it also has some different patterns because of the differently varying flow field. Finally, the effects and essential mechanism of oscillation period and top maximum current velocity on VIV response are discussed systematically.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Bearman, P.W., 2011. Circular cylinder wakes and vortex-induced vibrations. J. Fluids Struct. 27 (5-6), 648-658.
- Blevins, R.D., Coughran, C.S., 2009. Experimental investigation of vortex-induced vibration in one and two dimensions with variables mass, damping and Reynolds number. J. Fluids Eng. 131 (10) paper No. 101202.
- Chen, Z.S., Rhee, S.H., 2019. Effect of traveling wave on the vortex-induced vibration of a long flexible pipe. Appl. Ocean Res. 84, 122-132.
- Deng, Y., Huang, W.P., Zhao, J.L., 2014. Combined action of uniform flow and oscillating flow around marine riser at low Keulegan-Carpenter number. J. Ocean Univ. China 13 (3), 390-396.
- Franzini, G.R., Pesce, C.P., Gonçalves, R.T., Mendes, P., 2016. Experimental investigations on Vortex-Induced Vibrations with a long flexible cylinder. Part II: effect of axial motion excitation in a vertical configuration. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Flow-Induced Vibration, Hague, The Netherlands.
- Fu, S.X., Wang, J.G., Baarholm, R., Wu, J., Larsen, C.M., 2014. Features of vortexinduced vibration in oscillatory flow. J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng. 136 (1), 011801.
- Gao, Y., Yang, B., Zou, L., Zong, Z., Zhang, Z.Z., 2019. Vortex-induced vibrations of a long flexible cylinder in linear and exponential shear flows. China Ocean Eng. 33 (1), 44-56.
- Gopalkrishnan, R., 1993. Vortex Induced Forces on Oscillating Bluff Cylinders. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Doctoral thesis.
- Grant, R., Litton, R., Finn, L., Maher, J., Lambrakos, K., 2000. Highly compliant rigid risers: filed test benchmarking a time domain VIV algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference. Houston, Texas, USA.
- Grossmann, A., Morlet, J., 1984. Decomposition of Hardy functions into square integrable wavelets of constant shape. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 15 (4), 723-736.
- Hilber, H.M., Hughes, T.J.R., Taylor, R.L., 1977. Improved numerical dissipation for time integration algorithms in structural dynamics. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn. 5 (3), 283-292.
- Larsen, C.M., Lie, H., Passano, E., Yttervik, R., Wu, J., Baarholm, G., 2009. VIVANA Theory Manual (Version3.7). Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute, Trondheim, Norway.
- Lie, H., Kaasen, K.E., 2006. Modal analysis of measurements from a large-scale VIV model test of a riser in linearly sheared flow. J. Fluids Struct. 22, 557-575.
- Ma, P., Qiu, W., 2012. Time-domain VIV prediction of marine risers. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2012 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. OMAE2012-84269.
- Thorsen, M.J., Sævik, S., Larsen, C.M., 2016. Time domain simulation of vortexinduced vibrations in stationary and oscillating flows. J. Fluids Struct. 61, 1-19.
- Vandiver, J.K., Li, L., 2005. SHEAR7 V4.4 Program Theoretical Manual. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- Vandiver, J.K., Jaiswal, V., Jhingran, V., 2009. Insights on vortex-induced, traveling waves on long risers. J. Fluids Struct. 25 (4), 641-653.
- Venugopal, M., 1996. Damping and Response of a Flexible Cylinder in a Current. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Doctoral thesis.
- Wang, J.G., Fu, S.X., Baarholm, R., Wu, J., Larsen, C.M., 2015. Fatigue damage induced by vortex-induced vibrations in oscillatory flow. Mar. Struct. 40, 73-91.
- Wang, K.P., Xue, H.X., Tang, W.Y., 2013. Time domain analysis approach for riser Vortex-Induced Vibration based on forced vibration test data. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2013 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Nantes, France paper No.OMAE2013-10285.
- Welch, P.D., 1967. The use of fast Fourier transform for the estimation of power spectra: a method based on time averaging over short, modified periodograms. IEEE Trans. Audio Electroacoust. 15 (2), 70-73.
- Yuan, Y.C., Xue, H.X., Tang, W.Y., 2018. Numerical analysis of Vortex-Induced Vibration for flexible risers under steady and oscillatory flows. Ocean Eng. 148, 548-562.
- Zhao, M., Cheng, L., An, H.W., 2010. Three-dimensional numerical simulation of flow around a circular cylinder under combined steady and oscillatory flow. J. Hydrodyn. 22 (5), 144-149.
- Zhao, M., Kaja, K., Xiang, Y., Yan, G.R., 2013. Vortex-induced vibration (VIV) of a circular riser in combined steady and oscillatory flow. Ocean Eng. 73, 83-95.
- Zheng, H.N., 2014. The Influence of High Harmonic Force on Fatigue Life and its Prediction via Coupled Inline-Crossflow VIV Modeling. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Doctoral thesis.