- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence on properties of base metal after elimination of lifting-lug member in a dissimilar welding between steel base and steel lifting lug
- Park, Jeongung (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- An, Gyubaek (Dept. of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Haewoo (Dept. of Material Science and Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2018.11.14
- Accepted : 2019.04.16
- Published : 2019.02.18
The increasing demands of lifting lugs can be attributed to the rapid advancement of shipbuilding and offshore-structure production technologies and an exponential increase in the size of the block units of ship structures. Therefore, to ensure safety during the transportation and turnover of large blocks, it is important to determine the structural integrity and position of lifting lugs. However, because the manufacturing cost and availability of lugs are important considerations, low cost and easily obtainable steel compositions of grades different from those of the blocks are often used as alternatives. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of a lifting-lug metal on the physical properties of a base metal in a dissimilar welding between the base metal and lifting lug. The effect was evaluated by observing the metal microstructures and determining the hardness and dilution values on the cross-sectional surface of the lifting lug. According to the results of the metal microstructures, impact, hardness, and emission spectrochemical analysis at the surface from where the lug was removed confirmed that the chemical composition of the lifting-lug metal did not influence the physical properties of the base metal.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Adams, 1958. Colling rates and peak temperatures in fusion welding. Weld. J. Res. 210-215 supplement.
- An, Gyubaek, Hong, Seunglae, Park, Jeongung, Ro, Chanseung, Han, Ilwook, 2017. Identification of correlation between fracture toughness parameters of cryogenic steel weld joints. J. Weld. Join. 35 (3), 82-87. https://doi.org/10.5781/JWJ.2017.35.3.12.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2008. ASME-BTH-1; Design of Below-The-Hook Lifting Devices. ASME, USA.
- Gunaraj, V., Murugan, N., 1999. Prediction and comparison of the area of the heataffected zone for the bead-on-plate and bead-on-joint in submerged arc welding of pipes. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 95 (1-3), 246-261. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(99)00296-4.
- Ham, Juh-Hyeok, 2001. Development of the design system for the lifting lug structure. J. Soc. Naval Architect. Korea 38 (1), 86-98.
- Ham, Juh-Hyeok, 2011. Parametric design considerations for lifting Lug structure on ship block. J. Ocean Eng. Technol. 25 (2), 101-107.
- Ham, Juh-Hyeok, Kim, Dong-Jin, 2009. Consideration of the lifting lug structure using the hybrid structural design system. J. Ocean Eng. Technol. 23 (2), 104-109.
- Hoshino, Manabu, Saitoh, Naoki, Muraoka, Hirohide, Saeki, Osamu, 2004. Development of super-9%Ni steel plates with superior low-temperature toughness for LNG storage tanks. Nippon Steel Tech. Rep. 90, 20-24.
- Kim, Sang-il, 2003. Design for raising the rate of recovering use of lifting lug. J. Soc. Naval Architect. Korea 40 (4), 59-65.
- Kim, Sang-il, 2006. Block lifting analysis to examine the cause of cracking in the hopper top plate. J. Ocean Eng. Technol. 20 (1), 16-19.
- Kim, Oi-Hyun, Kim, Jeong-Je, 1998. Reliability assessment of ship longitudinal strength for the rational ship structural design. J. Ocean Eng. Technol. 12 (4), 8-15.
- Kim, Gwang-Soo, Kim, Dae-Sun, Choi, Young-Ki, 1996. Study on the formation and prevention of weld defect on the surface ground after removing the weld for lifting lug. In: Summer Conference of the Korean Welding and Joining Society 1996.
- Nouri, M., Abdollah-zadehy, A., Malek, F., 2007. Effect of welding parameters on dilution and weld bead geometry in cladding. J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 23 (6), 817-822.
- Om, Hari, Pandey, Sunil, 2013. Effect of heat input on dilution and heat affected zone in submerged arc welding process. Sadhaba _Acad. Proc. Eng. Sci. 38 (6), 1369-1391.
- Park, Seung Hwan C., Sato, Yutaka S., Kokawa, Hiroyuki, 2003. Microstructural evolution and its effect on Hall-Petch relationship in friction stir welding of thixomolded Mg alloy AZ91D. J. Mater. Sci. 38 (21), 4379-4383.
- Welding handbook (8th), 1991. American Welding Society, vol. 1, pp. 95-100.