- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of diffraction in regular head waves on added resistance and wake using CFD
- Lee, Cheol-Min (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Sung-Chul (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Yu, Jin-Won (Global Core Research Center for Ships and Offshore Plants, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Jung-Eun (Global Core Research Center for Ships and Offshore Plants, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Inwon (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.12.20
- Accepted : 2019.02.19
- Published : 2019.02.18
This paper employs computational tools to investigate the diffraction effects in regular head waves on the added resistance and wake on the propeller plane. The objective ships are a 66,000 DWT bulk carrier and a 3,600 TEU container ship. Fixed and free to heave and pitch conditions at design speed have been taken into account. Two-phase unsteady Reynolds averaged Navier-Stokes equations have been solved using the finite volume method; and a realizable k-ε model has been applied for the turbulent closure. The free surface is obtained by solving a VOF equation. The computations are carried out at the same scale of the model tests. Grid and numerical wave damping zones are applied to remove unwanted wave reflection at the boundaries. The computational results are analyzed using the Fourier series. The added resistances in waves at the free condition are higher than those at the fixed condition, which are nearly constant for all wavelengths. The wake velocity in waves is higher than that in calm water, and is accelerated where the wave crest locates on the propeller plane. When the vertical motion at the stern goes upward, the wake velocity also accelerated.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Ministry of Education, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
- Arribas, F.P., 2007. Some methods to obtain the added resistance of a ship advancing in waves. J. Ocean Eng. 34, 946-955.
- Blok, J.J., 1983. The Resistance Increase of a Ship in Waves. PhD thesis. Delft University of Technology.
- CDAdapco, 2016. STAR-CCM+ User Guide, Version 11.04.
- Choi, J., Yoon, S.B., 2009. Numerical simulations using momentum source wavemaker applied to RANS equation model. Journal of Costal Engineering 56, 1043-1060.
- Chun, H.H., 1992. On the added resistance of SWATH ships in waves. J. Soc. Nav. Archit. korea 29 (4), 75-86.
- El Moctar, O., Sigmund, S., Ley, J., Schellin, T.E., 2017. Numerical and experimental analysis of added resistance of ships in waves. J. Offshore Mech. Arctic Eng. 139 (1), 011301-011309.
- Faltinsen, O.M., 1990. Sea Loads on Ships and Offshore Structures. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Faltinsen, O.M., Minsaas, K.J., Liapis, N., Skjordal, S.O., 1980. Prediction of resistance and propulsion of a ship in a seaway. In: Proceedings of the 13th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, pp. 505-529.
- Fujii, H., Takahashi, T., 1975. Experimental study on the resistance increase of a ship in regular oblique waves. In: Proceeding of 14th International Towing Tank Conference, pp. 351-360.
- Gerritsma, J., Beukelman, W., 1972. Analysis of the resistance increase in waves of a fast cargo ship. Int. Shipbuild. Prog. 19, 285-293.
- Hirota, K., Matsumoto, K., Takagishi, K., Yamasaki, K., Orihara, H., Yoshida, H., 2005. Development of bow shape to reduce the added resistance due to waves and verification of full scale measurement. In: Proceedings of the first International Conference on Marine Research and Transportation (ICMRT05), Ischia, Italy, September 19-21, pp. 63-70.
- Hossain, Md A., Shibano, Y., Toda, Y., 2018. Forces, ship motions and velocity wake field for KRISO container ship model in regular head waves. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth (2018) International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, Sapporo, Japan, pp. 226-233.
- Journee, J.M.J., 1976. Motion, Resistance and Propulsion of Ship in Regular Head Waves. Delf University of Technology. Report 0428.
- Kim, M., Hizir, O., Turana, O., Incecika, A., 2017. Numerical studies on added resistance and motions of KVLCC2 in head seas for various ship speeds. J. Ocean Eng. 140, 466-476.
- Kim, W.J., Van, D.H., Kim, D.H., 2001. Measurement of flows around modern commercial ship models. Exp. Fluid 31, 567-578.
- Kim, Y.C., Kim, K.S., Kim, J., Kim, Y., Park, I.R., Jang, Y.H., 2017. Analysis of added resistance and seakeeping responses in head sea conditions for low-speed full ships using URANS approach. Int. J. Nav. Architect. Ocean Eng. 9 (6), 641-654.
- Kuroda, M., Tsujimoto, M., Fujiwara, T., Ohmatsu, S., Takagi, K., 2008. Investigation on components of added resistance in short waves. J. Jpn. Soc. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 8, 71-176.
- Lee, C.M., Yu, J.W., Choi, J.E., Lee, I., 2017. Effect of bow hull forms on the resistance performance in calm water and waves for 66k DWT bulk carrier. Int. J. Nav. Architect. Ocean Eng. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnaoe.2019.02.007 ([on reviewing]). Article in press.
- Lee, J.H., Seo, M.G., Park, D.M., Yang, K.K., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y., 2013. Study on the effects of hull form on added resistance. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures, Changwon, South Korea, 329-337.
- Liu, S.K., Papanikolaou, A., 2016. Fast approach to the estimation of the added resistance of ships in head waves. Ocean Eng. 112, 211-225.
- Naito, S., Kodan, N., Takagi, K., Matsumoto, K., 1996. An experiment study on the above water bow shape with a small added resistance in waves. J. Kansai So. Nav. Architect. 226, 91-98 ([in Japanese]).
- Orihara, H., Miyata, H., 2003. Evaluation of added resistance in regular incident waves by computational fluid dynamics motion simulation using an overlapping grid system. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 8, 47-60.
- Seo, M.G., Park, D.M., Yang, K.K., Kim, Y., 2013. Comparative study on computation of ship added resistance in waves. Ocean Eng. 73, 1-15.
- Shen, Z., Wan, D., 2013. RANS computations of added resistance and motions of a ship in head waves. Int. J. Offshore Polar Eng. 23 (4), 263-271.
- Tsujimoto, M., Shibata, K., Kuroda, M., Takagi, K., 2008. A practical correction method for added resistance in waves. J. Jpn. Soc. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 8, 177-184.
- Tsukada, Y., Hinatsu, M., Hasegawa, J., 1997. Measurement of unsteady ship wakes in waves. J. Kansai Soc. Nav. Archit. Jpn. 228, 15-20.
- Ueno, M., Tsukada, Y., Tanizawa, K., 2013. Estimation and prediction of effective inflow velocity to propeller in waves. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 18 (3), 339-348.
- Ursell, F., 1947. The effect of a fixed vertical barrier on surface wave in deep water. Proc. Phil. Soc. 42, 374-382.
- Wu, P.C., Okawa, H., Kim, H., Akamatsu, K., Sadat-Hosseini, H., Stern, F., Toda, Y., 2014. Added resistance and nominal wake in waves of KVLCC2 model ship in ballast condition. In: Proceedings of the 31stSymposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 2-7 November 2014.
- Yu, J.W., Lee, C.M., Lee, I., Choi, J.E., 2017. Bow hull-form optimization in waves of a 66,000 DWT bulk carrier. Int. J. Nav. Architect. Ocean Eng. 9 (5), 499-508.