- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of bow hull forms on the resistance performance in calm water and waves for 66k DWT bulk carrier
- Lee, Cheol-Min (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Yu, Jin-Won (Global Core Research Center for Ships and Offshore Plants, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Jung-Eun (Global Core Research Center for Ships and Offshore Plants, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Inwon (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.04.27
- Accepted : 2019.02.19
- Published : 2019.02.18
This paper employs computational tools to investigate the cause of resistance reductions in calm water and waves of the sharp bow form compared to the blunt bow in 66,000 DWT bulk carriers. A more slender shape at the fore-shoulder without a bulbous bow is a prominent feature of the sharp bow. The blunt bow incorporates a bulbous shape. A two-phase unsteady Reynolds averaged Navier-Stokes equations have been solved; and a realizable k-ε model has been applied for the turbulent closure. The free-surface is obtained by solving a VOF equation. The computational results have been validated with model tests carried out at a towing tank. The pressure component of resistance in the sharp bow is reduced by 8.9% in calm water, and 6.4-12.7% in regular head waves. The frictional components of resistance in the sharp and blunt bows are largely the same.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
- Blok, J.J., 1983. The Resistance Increase of a Ship in Waves. PhD thesis. Delft University of Technology.
- Buchner, B., 1996. The influence of the bow shape of FPSOs on drift forces and green water. In: Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference, No.8073, Houston, Texas, 6-9 May, 1996.
- CD adapco, 2016. STAR-CCM+ User Guide, version 11.04.
- Chun, H.H., 1992. On the added resistance of SWATH ships in waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea 29 (4), 75-86.
- Ebira, K., Iwasaki, Y., Komura, A., 2004. Development of a new stem to increase the propulsive performance of LPG carriers. Journal of Kansai Society of Naval Architect 241, 25-32 ([in Japanese]).
- Faltinsen, O.M., Minsaas, K.J., Liapis, N., Skjordal, S.O., 1980. Prediction of resistance and propulsion of a ship in a seaway. Proceedings of the 13th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics 505-529.
- Gerritsma, J., Beukelman, W., 1972. Analysis of the resistance increase in waves of a fast cargo ship. Int. Shipbuild. Prog. 19, 285-293.
- Ghassemi, H., Yari, E., 2011. The added mass coefficient computation of sphere, ellipsoid and marine propellers using boundary element method. Pol. Marit. Res. 18, 17-26.
- Grigoropoulos, G.J., Chalkias, D.S., 2010. Hull-form optimization in calm and rough water. Journal of Computer-Aided Design 42 (11), 977-984.
- Guo, B., Steen, S., 2011. Evaluation of added resistance of KVLCC2 in short waves. J. Hydrodyn. 23 (6), 709-722.
- Hirota, K., Matsumoto, K., Takagishi, K., Yamasaki, K., Orihara, H., Yoshida, H., 2005. Development of bow shape to reduce the added resistance due to waves and verification of full scale measurement. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Marine Research and Transportation (ICMRT05), Ischia, Italy, September 19-21, pp. 63-70.
- Hwang, S.H., Kim, J., Lee, Y.Y., Ahn, H.S., Van, S.H., Kim, K.S., 2013. Experimental study on the effect of bow hull forms to added resistance in regular head waves. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures(PRADS 2013), Changwon, Korea, October 20-25, pp. 39-44.
- Jeong, K.L., Lee, Y.G., Yu, J.W., 2013. A fundamental study on the reduction of added resistance for KCS. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures(PRADS 2013), Changwon, Korea, October 20-25, pp. 23-30.
- Joncquez, S.A.G., 2009. Second-order Forces and Moments Acting on Ships in Waves. PhD Thesis. Technical University of Denmark.
- Journee, J.M.J., 1976. Motion, Resistance and Propulsion of Ship in Regular Head Waves. Delf University of Technology. Report 0428.
- Kim, K.H., Kim, Y., 2011. Numerical study on added resistance of ships by using a time-domain Rankine panel method. Ocean. Eng. 38, 1357-1367.
- Kim, Y.C., Kim, K.S., Kim, J., Kim, Y., Park, I.R., Jang, Y.H., 2017. Analysis of added resistance and seakeeping responses in head sea conditions for low-speed full ships using URANS approach. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 9 (6), 641-654.
- Kuroda, M., Tsujimoto, M., Sasaki, N., Ohmatsu, S., Takagi, K., 2012. Study on the bow shapes above the waterline in view of the powering and greenhouse gas emission in actual seas. Journal of Engineering the Maritime Environment 226 (1), 23-35.
- Lee, J.H., Seo, M.G., Park, D.M., Yang, K.K., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y.H., 2013. Study on the effects of hull form on added resistance. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures, Changwon, South Korea, pp. 329-337.
- Maruo, H., 1960. The drift of a body floating on waves. J. Ship Res. 4 (3), 1-10.
- Newman, J.N., 1967. Marine Hydrodynamics. The MIT Press, the U.S.
- Orihara, H., Miyata, H., 2003. Evaluation of added resistance in regular incident waves by computational fluid dynamics motion simulation using an overlapping grid system. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 8, 47-60.
- Sadat-Hosseini, H., Wu, P.C., Carrica, O.M., Toda, Y., Stern, F., 2013. CFD verification and validation of added resistance and motions of KVLCC2 with fixed and free surge in short and long head waves. Ocean. Eng. 59, 240-273.
- Seo, M.G., Park, D.M., Yang, K.K., Kim, Y., 2013. Comparative study on computation of ship added resistance in waves. Ocean. Eng. 73, 1-15.
- Shen, Z., Wan, D., 2013. RANS computations of added resistance and motions of a ship in head waves. Int. J. Offshore Polar Eng. 23 (4), 263-271.
- Tvete, M. R. and Borgen, H., 2012. Ship's fore body form. U.S. Patent No. 8,875,644.
- Yang, K.K., Kim, Y.H., 2017. Numerical analysis of added resistance on blunt ships with different bow shapes in short waves. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 22, 245-258.
- Yu, J.W., Lee, C.M., Choi, J.E., Lee, I.W., 2017a. Effect of ship motions on added resistance in regular head waves of KVLCC2. Ocean. Eng. 146, 375-387.
- Yu, J.W., Lee, C.M., Lee, I.W., Choi, J.E., 2017b. Bow hull-form optimization in waves of a 66,000 DWT bulk carrier. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 9 (5), 499-508.