- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Stability analysis of deepwater compliant vertical access riser about parametric excitation
- Lou, Min (College of Petroleum Engineering, China University of Petroleum (East China)) ;
- Hu, Ping (College of Petroleum Engineering, China University of Petroleum (East China)) ;
- Qi, Xiaoliang (College of Engineering, Ocean University of China) ;
- Li, Hongwei (College of Petroleum Engineering, China University of Petroleum (East China))
- Received : 2018.08.18
- Accepted : 2019.02.19
- Published : 2019.02.18
If heave motion in the platform causes horizontal parametric vibration of a Compliant Vertical Access Riser (CVAR), the riser may become unstable. A combination of riser parameters lies in the unstable region aggravates vibrational damage to the riser. Change of axial tensile stress in the riser combined with its natural frequency and mode shape change results in mode coupling. In accordance with the state transition matrices of the riser in the coupled and uncoupled states, the stable and unstable regions were obtained by Floquet theory, and the vibration response under different conditions was obtained. The parametric excitation of the CVAR is shown to occur mainly in first-order unstable regions. Mode coupling may cause parametric excitation in the least stable regions. Damping reduces the extent of unstable regions to a certain extent.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Brouwers, J.J.H., 2011. Asymptotic solutions for mathieu instability under random parametric excitation and nonlinear damping. Phys. Nonlinear Phenom. 240 (12), 990-1000.
- Brugmans, J., 2005. Parametric Instability of Deep-Water Risers. Tu Delft Faculty of Civil Engineering & Geosciences Hydraulic Engineering.
- Chatjigeorgiou, I.K., Mavrakos, S.A., 2002. Bounded and unbounded coupled transverse response of parametrically excited vertical marine risers and tensioned cable legs for marine applications. Appl. Ocean Res. 24 (6), 341-354.
- Chatjigeorgiou, I., Mavrakos, S., 2005. Nonlinear resonances of parametrically excited risers - numerical and analytic investigation for omega=2 omega (1). Comput. Struct. 83 (8), 560-573.
- Friedmann, P., Hammond, C.E., Woo, T.H., 2010. Efficient numerical treatment of periodic systems with application to stability problems. Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng. 11 (7), 1117-1136.
- Fujiwara, T., Uto, S., Kanada, S., 2011. An experimental study of the effects that change the vibration mode of riser VIV. In: ASME 2011, International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, pp. 487-492.
- Haquang, N., Mook, D.T., Plaut, R.H.A., 1987. A nonlinear analysis of the interactions between parametric and external excitations. J. Sound Vib. 118 (3), 425-439.
- Hsu, C.S., 1975. The response of a parametrically excited hanging string in fluid. J. Sound Vib. 39 (3), 305-316.
- Krolikowski, L.P., Gay, T.A., 1980. An Improved Linearization Technique for Frequency Domain Riser Analysis. Offshore Technology in Civil Engineering @sHall of Fame Papers from the Early Years: Volume Two. ASCE.
- Kuiper, G.L., Brugmans, J., Metrikine, A.V., 2008. Destabilization of deep-water risers by a heaving platform. J. Sound Vib. 310 (3), 541-557.
- Mao, H., Yang, H., 2016. Parametric pitch instability investigation of deep draft semi-submersible platform in irregular waves. International Journal of Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering 8 (1), 13-21.
- Mungall, C., Haverty, K., Bhat, S., Andersen, D., Sarkar, I., Wu, J., et al., 2004. Semisubmersible Based Dry Tree Platform with Compliant Vertical Access Risers. Offshore Technology Conference, pp. 1-13.
- Park, H.I., Jung, D.H., 2002. A finite element method for dynamic analysis of long slender marine structures under combined parametric and forcing excitations. Ocean Eng. 29 (11), 1313-1325.
- Patel, M.H., Seyed, F.B., 1995. Review of flexible riser modelling and analysis techniques. Eng. Struct. 17 (4), 293-304.
- Senjanovic, I., Ljustina, A.M., Parunov, J., 2006. Natural vibration analysis of tensioned risers by segmentation method. Oil Gas Sci. Technol. 61 (5), 647-659.
- Suzuki, H., Takano, K., Enomoto, K., Oka, N., 2004. Axial and lateral coupled response of a deepsea riser for scientific drilling. In: ASME 2004, International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, pp. 147-155.
- Thampi, S.K., Niedzwecki, J.M., 1992. Parametric and external excitation of marine risers. J. Eng. Mech. 118 (5), 943-960.
- Vandiver, J.K., Li, L., 2005. SHEAR7 V4.4 Program Theoretical Manual. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
- Yang, H.Z., Li, H.J., 2009. Instability assessment of deep-Sea risers under parametric excitation. China Ocean Eng. 23 (4), 603-612.
- Zhang, J., 2014. Vortex-induced Vibration and Fatigue Analysis of Deepwater Risers Considering Parametric Excitations. Tianjin University.