- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Low cycle fatigue and ratcheting failure behavior of AH32 steel under uniaxial cyclic loading
- Dong, Qin (Key Laboratory of High Performance Ship Technology(Wuhan University of Technology), Ministry of Education) ;
- Yang, Ping (Key Laboratory of High Performance Ship Technology(Wuhan University of Technology), Ministry of Education) ;
- Xu, Geng (School of Transportation, Wuhan University of Technology)
- Received : 2018.01.02
- Accepted : 2018.09.17
- Published : 2019.02.18
In this paper, the low cycle fatigue failure and ratcheting behavior, as well as their interaction of AH32 steel were experimentally investigated under uniaxial cyclic loading. The effects of mean stress, stress amplitude and stress ratio on the low cycle fatigue life and ratcheting strain were discussed. It was found that the ratcheting strain increased while the fatigue life decreased with the increase of mean stress and stress amplitude, and the increasing stress ratio would result in smaller ratcheting and larger fatigue life. Two kinds of failure modes, i.e. low cycle fatigue failure due to crack propagates and ratcheting failure due to large plastic strain will take place respectively. Based on the experimental results, considered the effect of ratcheting on fatigue life, a model with the maximum stress and ratcheting strain rate was proposed. Comparison with the experimental result showed that the new model provided a good prediction for AH32 steel.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Coffin, L.F., 1970. The deformation and fracture of ductile metal under superimposed cyclic and monotonic strain. ASTM STP 467 Am. Soc. Test. Mater. 53-76.
- Fatemi, A., Yang, L., 1998. Cumulative fatigue damage and life prediction theories: a survey of the state of the art for homogeneous materials. Int. J. Fatig. 20 (1), 9-34.
- Fujita, Y., Nomoto, T., Yuge, K., 1984. Behavior of deformation of structural members under compressive and tensile loads (1st report) on the buckling of a column subjected to repeated loading. Jpn. Soc. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 156, 346-354.
- Fukumoto, Y., Kusama, H., 1985. Local instability tests of plate elements under cyclic uniaxial loading. J. Struct. Eng. 111, 1051-1067.
- Fukumoto, Y., Kusama, H., 1985. Cyclic bending tests of thin-walled box beams. J. Earthq. Eng. 2 (1), 141-151.
- Hu, Y.R., Chen, B.Z., 1997. Fatigue Reliability Analysis of Ship and Offshore Structure. China Communications Press, Beijing.
- Huang, Z.Q., 1999. Some problems in the study of ship strength. Wuhan Ship Building 3, 1-5.
- Isobe, N., Sukekawa, M., Nakayama, Y., 2008. Clarification of strain limits considering the ratcheting-fatigue strength of 316FR steel. Nucl. Eng. Des. 238, 347-352.
- Kang, G.Z., Liu, Y.J., 2008. Uniaxial ratcheting and low cycle fatigue failure of the steel with cyclic stabilizing or softening feature. Mater. Sci. Eng. 472, 258-268.
- Kang, G.Z., Gao, Q., Cai, L.X., Sun, Y.F., 2002. Experimental study on uniaxial and nonproportionality multiaxial ratcheting of SS304 stainless at room and high temperature. Nucl. Eng. Des. 216, 13-26.
- Kang, G.Z., Liu, Y.J., Zhao, L., 2006. Experimental study on ratcheting-fatigue interaction of SS304 stainless steel in uniaxial cyclic stressing. Mater. Sci. Eng. 435-436, 396-404.
- Liu, Y.J., Kang, G.Z., Gao, Q., 2008. Stress-based fatigue failure models for uniaxial ratcheting-fatigue interaction. Int. J. Fatig. 30, 1065-1073.
- Mansour, A., Yang, J.M., Thayamballi, A., 1990. An experimental investigation of ship hull ultimate strength. Ultim. Strength 98, 411-439.
- Murray, J.M., 1953. Structural development of tankers. Eur. Shipbuild. 3 (5), 1-5.
- Rider, R.J., Harvey, S.J., Chandler, H.D., 1995. Fatigue and ratcheting interactions. Int. J. Fatig. 17 (7), 507-511.
- Sinaha, S., Ghosh, S., 2006. Modeling cyclic ratcheting based fatigue life of HSLA steels using crystal plasticity FEM simulations and experiments. Int. J. Fatig. 28, 1690-1704.
- Xia, Z., Kujawski, D., Ellyin, F., 1996. Effect of mean stress and ratcheting strain on fatigue life of steel. Int. J. Fatig. 18 (5), 335-341.
- Yang, X.J., 2005. Low cycle fatigue and cyclic stress ratcheting failure behavior of carbon steel 45 under uniaxial cyclic loading. Int. J. Fatig. 27, 1124-1132.
- Yang, X.J., 2007. A unified time dependent model for low cycle fatigue and ratcheting failure based on microcrack growth. Nucl. Eng. Des. 237, 1381-1387.
- Yao, T., Nikolov, P.I., 1990. Buckling/plastic collapse of plates under cyclic loading. Jpn. Soc. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 168, 449-462.