- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Disaster Nursing Competency of Nursing Students
- Song, Eun Ju (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University) ;
- Park, Sook Kyoung (College of Nursing, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Yang, Ya Ki (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2019.09.04
- Accepted : 2019.12.16
- Published : 2019.12.25
Purpose: This study examined the relationships among disaster nursing knowledge, disaster preparedness attitudes, and disaster nursing competency among nursing students by identifying the predictors of disaster nursing competency. Methods: The study participants were 306 nursing students in the nursing departments of 3 universities located in G City and J Province. The data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, analysis of variance, the Pearson correlation coefficient, and multiple regression analysis. Results: The participants' scores for disaster nursing knowledge, disaster preparedness attitudes, and disaster nursing competency were 5.41±1.68, 4.29±0.46, and 2.84±0.78, respectively. Disaster nursing knowledge, disaster preparedness attitudes, and disaster nursing competency exhibited positive correlations. The factors influencing disaster nursing competency among nursing students included disaster nursing knowledge, disaster preparedness attitudes, year level, disaster training experience, first-aid training experience, disaster area experience, medical service experience, and disaster severity awareness. These variables explained 17% of the variance in disaster nursing competency. Conclusion: Disaster nursing knowledge and disaster preparedness attitudes was positively related to disaster nursing competency. The findings of this study indicate that it is important to develop and apply education programs aimed at increasing disaster nursing knowledge and enhancing disaster preparedness attitudes among nursing students to improve nursing students' disaster nursing competency.
Supported by : 원광대학교
- Ahn, E. K., & Kim, S. K. (2013). Disaster experience, perception and core competencies on diaster nursing of nursing students. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(6), 257-267.
- Ann, E. G., Keum, K. L., & Choi, S. Y. (2011). A study on the disaster preparedness of nurses in some Korean regional emergency medical centers. Journal of Military Nursing Research, 29(1), 94-109.
- Alim, S., Kawabata, M., & Nakazawa, M. (2015). Evaluation of disaster preparedness training and disaster drill for nursing students. Nurse Education Today, 35(1), 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.04.016
- Aluisio, A. R., Daniel, P., Grock, A., Freedman, J., Singh, A., Papanagnou, D., & Arquilla, B. (2016). Case-based learning outperformed simulation exercises in disaster preparedness education among nursing trainees in India: A randomized controlled trial. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, 31, 516-23. https://doi.org/10.1017/s1049023x16000789
- American Medical Association. (2012). Basic disaster life support version 3.0: Course manual (1st ed.). Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- Chan, S. S., Chan, W. S., Cheng, Y., Fung, O. W., Lai, T. K., Leung, A. W., Leung, K. L., Li, S., Yip, A. L., & Pang, S. M. (2010). Development and evaluation of an undergraduate training course for development international council of nurses' disaster nursing competencies in China. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42, 405-413. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2010.01363.x
- Cho, H. Y. (2018). The effect of disaster knowledge, disaster awareness and disaster preparedness on disaster response ability among nursing students. Crisisonomy, 14(12), 47-58. https://doi.org/10.14251/crisisonomy.2018.14.12.47
- Cusack, L., Arbon, P., & Ranse, J. (2010). What is the role of nursing students and schools of nursing during disaster? A discussion paper. Collegian, 17, 193-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2010.09.006
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41, 1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Guha-Sapir, D., Hoyois, P. H., & Below, R. (2015). Annual disaster statistical review 2014: The numbers and trends. Brussels: Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters.
- Harkrider, L. N., Thiel, C. E., Bagdasarov, Z., Mumford, M. D., Johnson, J. F., Connelly, S., & Devenport, L. D. (2012). Improving case‐based ethics training with codes of conduct and forecasting content. Ethics & Behavior, 22, 258-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508422.2012.661311
- Jennings-Sanders, A., Frish, N., & Wing, S. (2005). Nursing students' perceptions about disaster nursing. Disaster Management & Response, 3(3), 80-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dmr.2005.04.001
- Jose, M. M., & Dufrene, C. (2013). Educational competencies and technologies for disaster preparedness in undergraduate nursing education: An integrative review. Nurse Education Today, 34, 543-551. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.07.021
- Jung, H. G., & Yang, Y. K. (2019). Social disaster adaptation experiences of railroad workers: Focused on the Iri Station explosion of 1977. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 28(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2019.28.1.1
- Kang, K. H., Uhm, D. C., & Nam, E. S. (2012). A study on disaster experience and preparedness of university students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 18(3), 424-435.
- Kang, S. J., & Piao, M. H. (2014). The effect of global disaster competency development program on paramedic and nursing undergraduate students. The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services, 18(1), 83-4. https://doi.org/10.14408/kjems.2014.18.1.083
- Kim, H. J. (2015). A study on disaster preparedness, core competencies and educational needs on disaster nursing of nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(11), 7447-7455.
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation. (2014). The guideline of healthcare organizations accreditation general hospital, version 2.0. Seoul: Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation.
- Lee, O. C. (2014). Trends of nursing research on disasters in Korea. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 28(3), 432-444. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.3.432
- Lee, Y. R. (2014). Development and effects of a disaster nursing educational program for nursing students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2016). Emergency response manual of disaster emergency medicine in Korea. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Nakajima, K., Owatari, K., & Okumura, J. (2013). Study of the nursing students in the volunteer activities at the temporary houses. Bulletin of Japanese Red Cross Toyota College of Nursing, 8, 41-46.
- Naser, W. N., & Saleem, H. B. (2018). Emergency and disaster management training; knowledge and attitude of Yemeni health professionals -a cross-sectional study-. BMC Emergency Medicine, 18(1), 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12873-018-0174-5
- Nilsson, J., Johansson, E., Carlsson, M., Florin, J., Leksell, J., Lepp, M., Lindholm, C., Nordstrom, G., Theander, K., Wilde-Larsson, B., & Gardulf, A. (2016). Disaster nursing: Self-reported competence of nursing students and registered nurses, with focus on their readiness to manage violence, serious events and disasters. Nurse Education in Practice, 17, 102-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2015.09.012
- Noh, J. Y. (2010). Nurses' perception and core competencies on disaster nursing. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Park, K. Y. (2007). Rational emotive behavioral therapy. Seoul: Hakgisa.
- Park, H. Y., & Kim, J. S. (2017). Factors influencing disaster nursing core competencies of emergency nurses. Applied Nursing Research, 37, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2017.06.004
- Parry, S. B. (1996). The quest for competencies. Training, 33(7), 48-56.
- Woo, C. H., Yoo, J. Y., & Park, J. Y. (2015). Experience, awareness and preparedness of disaster among nursing college students. Korean Review of Crisis & Emergency Management, 11(11), 19-35. https://doi.org/10.14251/krcem.2015.11.11.19
- World Health Organization and International Council for Nurses. (2009). ICN framework of disaster nursing competencies. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization and International Council for Nurses.