- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of a New Modeling Technique to Simulate 3-dimensional Electroplating System Considering the Effects of Fluid Flow
- Lim, Kyung-Hwan (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Minsu (Surface R&D group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Yim, Tai Hong (Surface R&D group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Seo, Seok (EXPRESSLAB CO., LTD.) ;
- Yi, Kyung-Woo (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.10.19
- Accepted : 2019.07.15
- Published : 2019.12.31
Electroplating is a widely used surface treatment method in the manufacturing process of electronic parts and uniformity of the electrodeposition thickness is very crucial for these applications. Since many variables including fluid flow influence the uniformity of the film, it is difficult to conduct efficient research only by experiments. So many studies using simulation have been carried out. However, the most popular simulation technique, which calculates secondary current distribution, has a limitation on the considering the effects of fluid flow on the deposition behavior. And modified method, which is calculating a tertiary current distribution, is limited to a two-dimensional study of simple shapes because of the massive computational load. In the present study, we propose a new electroplating simulation method that can be applied to complex shapes considering the effect of flow. This new model calculates the electroplating process with three steps. First, the thickness of boundary layers on the surface of the cathode plane and velocity magnitudes at the positions are calculated from the simulation of fluid flow. Next, polarization curves of different velocities are obtained by calculations or experiments. Finally, both results are incorporated into the electroplating simulation program as boundary conditions at the cathode plane. The results of the model showed good agreements with the experimental results, and the effects of fluid flow of electrolytes on the uniformity of deposition thickness was quantitatively predicted.
Grant : Nanometallurgy Processing and Calculation Platform
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- C.T.J. Low, E.P.L. Roberts, F.C. Walsh, Electrochimica Acta, 2017, 52(11), 3831-3840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2006.10.056
- L.X. Ji, C. Wang, S.X. Wang, W. He, D.J. Xiao, Z. Tan, Circuit World, 2015, 41(1), 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1108/CW-09-2014-0037
- K.H. Lee, Journal of the Microelectronics and Packaging Society, 2012, 19(3), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.6117/kmeps.2012.19.3.001
- H. Garich, S. Shimpalee, V. Lilavivat, S. Snyder, E.J. Taylor, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2016, 163(8), E216-E222. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0491608jes
- J.K. Luo, D.P. Chu, A.J. Flewitt, S.M. Spearing, N.A. Fleck, W.I. Milne, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2005, 152(1), C36-C41. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1833320
- S. Kumar, S. Pande, P. Verma, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2015, 5(2), 700-703.
- S. Roy, Trans. Inst. Metal Finish., 2009, 87(3), 118-121. https://doi.org/10.1179/174591909X452194
- L.Z. Tong, Trans. Inst. Metal Finish., 2012, 90(3), 120-124. https://doi.org/10.1179/0020296712Z.00000000024
- F. Druesne, P. Paumelle, P. Villon, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2001, 118(1-3), 368-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00984-0
- Y.J. Oh, S.H. Chung, M.S. Lee, Mater. Trans., 2004, 45(10), 3005-3010. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.45.3005
- I. Belov, C. Zanella, C. Edstrom, P. Leisner, Mater. Des., 2016, 90, 693-703. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.11.005
- M. Purcar, A. Dorochenko, L. Bortels, J. Deconinck, B. Van den Bossche, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2008, 203(1-3), 58-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.09.082
- J. Newman, Thomas-Alyea, K.E., Electrochemical Systems, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2004.
- P.K. Adanuvor, R.E. White, J. Electrochem. Soc., 1987, 134(5), 1093-1098.
- Q.B. Dong, S. Santhanagopalan, R.E. White, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2007, 154(8), A816-A825. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2741056
- Y.I. Kharkats, A.V. Sokirko, F.H. Bark, Electrochimica Acta, 1995, 40(2), 247-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(94)00223-N
- J. Vazquez-Arenas, Electrochimica Acta, 2010, 55(10), 3550-3559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2010.01.050
- CFD-ACE+, manual, ESI group, 2014.
- C. Madore, D. Landolt, Plat. Surf. Finish., 1993, 80(11), 73-78.
- S. Mehdizadeh, J.O. Dukovic, P.C. Andricacos, L.T. Romankiw, H.Y. Cheh, J. Electrochem. Soc., 1992, 139(1), 78-91. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2069205
- S.M. Huang, C.W. Liu, W.P. Dow, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2012, 159(3), D135-D141. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.010203jes