- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nitrogen and Phosphorus Starvation on Growth and Fatty Acid Production in Newly Isolated Two Freshwater Green Microalgae from Nakdonggang River
낙동강 수계에서 분리한 녹조류 2종의 질소와 인의 결핍에 따른 생장 및 지방산 변화 연구
- Yim, Kyung June (Microbial Research Department, Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Park, Hanwool (Department of Marine Science & Biological Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Lee, Chang Soo (Microbial Research Department, Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Jo, Bok Yeon (Bioresources Industrialization Support Department, Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Nam, Seung Won (Microbial Research Department, Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Lee, Choul-Gyun (Department of Marine Science & Biological Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Z-Hun (Microbial Research Department, Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources)
- 임경준 (국립낙동강생물자원관 미생물연구실) ;
- 박한울 (인하대학교 해양과학.생물공학과) ;
- 이창수 (국립낙동강생물자원관 미생물연구실) ;
- 조복연 (국립낙동강생물자원관 산업화지원실) ;
- 남승원 (국립낙동강생물자원관 미생물연구실) ;
- 이철균 (인하대학교 해양과학.생물공학과) ;
- 김지훈 (국립낙동강생물자원관 미생물연구실)
- Received : 2019.11.21
- Accepted : 2019.12.12
- Published : 2019.12.31
In this study, effects of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) starvation on the cell growth and fatty acid (FA) production of newly isolated freshwater microalgae were investigated. The microalgae were identified as Chlorella sp. and Parachlorella sp. through 18S rRNA sequencing. Optimal culture temperature and light intensity were investigated using a high-throughput photobioreator, and the result was validated in 0.5 L bubble column photobioreactors using BG-11 without NaNO3 and/or K2HPO4. Under nutrient starvation conditions, total FA contents of the microalgae were significantly changed rather than FA composition. Starvation of both N and P was most effective for increasing FA contents in Parachlorella sp (24.4±0.1%) whereas highest FA contents (42.6±1.8%) was achieved when only P was starved in Chlorella sp. among tested conditions. These results suggest an effective strategy for increasing FA production from microalgae using appropriate nutrient starvation.
Supported by : 국립낙동강생물자원관
Benemann, J. R. 1997.
$CO_2$mitigation with microalgae systems. Energ. Convers. Manage. 38, S475-S479. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(96)00313-5
Wang, B., Y. Li, N. Wu, CQ, Lan. 2008.
$CO_2$bio-mitigation using microalgae. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 79, 707-718. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1518-y
- Borowitzka, M. A. 2013. High-value products from microalgae-their development and commercialisation. J. Appl. Phycol. 25, 743-756. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-013-9983-9
- Joshi, S., R. Kumari and V. N. Upasani. 2018. Applications of algae in cosmetics: An overview. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Technol. 7, 1269-1278.
- Kim, Z.-H., H. Park, Y.-J. Ryu, D.-W. Shin, S.-J. Hong, H.-L. Tran, S.-M. Lim, and C.-G. Lee. 2015 Algal biomass and biodiesel production by utilizing the nutrients dissolved in seawater using semi-permeable membrane photobioreactors. J. Appl. Phycol. 27, 1763-1773. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-015-0556-y
- Baicha, Z., M.J. Salar-Garcia, V.M. Ortiz-Martinez, F.J. Hernandez-Fernandez, A.P. De los Rios, N. Labjar, E. Lotfi and M. Elmahi. 2016. A critical review on microalgae as an alternative source for bioenergy production: A promising low cost substrate for microbial fuel cells. Fuel Process. Technol. 154, 104-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2016.08.017
- Park, H., and C. -G. Lee. 2016. Theoretical calculations on the feasibility of microalgal biofuels: utilization of marine resources could help realizing the potential of microalgae. Biotechnol. J. 11, 1461-1470. https://doi.org/10.1002/biot.201600041
- Duong, V. T., F. Ahmed, S. R. Thomas-Hall, S. Quigley, E. Nowak, and P. M. Schenk, 2015. High protein-and high lipid-producing microalgae from northern Australia as potential feedstock for animal feed and biodiesel. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 3, 53.
- Solovchenko, A., I. Khozin-Goldberg, S. Didi-Cohen, Z. Cohen, and M. Merzlyak. 2008. Effects of light intensity and nitrogen starvation on growth, total fatty acids and arachidonic acid in the green microalga Parietochloris incisa. J. Appl. Phycol. 20, 245-251. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-007-9233-0
- Kim, Z.-H, Lee, H.-S. and C.-G. Lee. 2009. Red and Blue Photons Can Enhance the Production of Astaxanthin from Haematococcus pluvialis. Algae 24, 121-127. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2009.24.2.121
- Benvenuti, G., R. Bosma, M. Cuaresma, M. Janssen, M. J. Barbosa, and R.H. Wijffels. 2015. Selecting microalgae with high lipid productivity and photosynthetic activity under nitrogen starvation. J. Appl. Phycol. 27, 1425-1431. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-014-0470-8
- Takeshita, T., S. Ota, T. Yamazaki, A. Hirata, V. Zachleder, and S. Kawano. 2014. Starch and lipid accumulation in eight strains of six Chlorella species under comparatively high light intensity and aeration culture conditions. Bioresour. Technol. 158, 127-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2014.01.135
- Ruangsomboon, S., M. Ganmanee, and S. Choochote. 2013. Effects of different nitrogen, phosphorus, and iron concentrations and salinity on lipid production in newly isolated strain of the tropical green microalga, Scenedesmus dimorphus KMITL. J. Appl. Phycol. 25, 867-874. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-012-9956-4
- Tamura, K., G. Stecher, D. Peterson, A. Filipski, and S. Kumar. 2013. MEGA6: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 30, 2725-2729. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/mst197
Heo, J., Cho, D.-H., R. Ramanan, Oh, H.-M., and Kim, H.-S. 2015. PhotoBiobox: A tablet sized, low-cost, high throughput photobioreactor for microalgal screening and culture optimization for growth, lipid content and
$CO_2$sequestration. Biochem. Eng. J. 103, 193-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2015.07.013
- Choi, G.-G., Kim, B.-H., Ahn, C.-Y., and Oh, H.-M. 2011. Effect of nitrogen limitation on oleic acid biosynthesis in Botryococcus braunii. J. Appl. Phycol. 6. 1031-1037.
- Kamalanathan, M., M. Pierangelini, L. A. Shearman, R. Gleadow, and J. Beardall. 2016. Impacts of nitrogen and phosphorus starvation on the physiology of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. J. Appl. Phycol. 28, 1509-1520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-015-0726-y
- Li, Y., M. Horsman, B. Wang, N. Wu, and C. Q. Lan. 2008. Effects of nitrogen sources on cell growth and lipid accumulation of green alga Neochloris oleabundans. Appl. Micobiol. Biotechnol. 81, 629-636 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1681-1
- Woo, S.-G., and Park, J.-H. 2012. Effects of phosphorus starvation on fatty acid production by microalgae cultivated from wastewater environment. KSCE. J. Civ. Eng. 4, 253-259.