- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influencing Factors on the Performance of Healthcare-associated Infection Control and Microbiological Hand Contamination among Caregivers at a Tertiary Hospital
일개 상급종합병원에 근무하는 간병인의 의료관련감염 관리 수행도 및 손의 미생물 오염도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, Hee Jin (Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Eun Ju (Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Bak, Mi Hui (Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Ju, Hye Young (Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Seo, Joo We (Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Jeon, Mi Yang (College of Nursing.Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- 이희진 (경상대학교병원) ;
- 박은주 (경상대학교병원) ;
- 박미희 (경상대학교병원) ;
- 주혜영 (경상대학교병원) ;
- 서주위 (경상대학교병원) ;
- 전미양 (경상대학교 간호대학 간호학과.건강과학연구원)
- Received : 2019.11.04
- Accepted : 2019.12.02
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify influencing factors on the performance of healthcare-associated infection control and microbiological hand contamination among caregivers at a tertiary hospital. Methods: The participants of this study were 59 caregivers woring at a tertiary hospital. Data were collected from July 1 to 30, 2018. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Scheffé test, Pearson's correlation coefficients and stepwise multiple regression by SPSS 23.0 Win program. Results: Multiple regression analysis revealed that factors influencing performance of healthcare-associated infection control were awareness (β=.63, p<.001) and the experience of infection-related education (β=-3.40, p=.042). Regression equations describing the performance of healthcare-related infection control were found to be appropriate (F=27.29, p<.001) and accounted for 68% of variance. Factors affecting the degree of microbiological hand contamination were work experience (β=-0.28, p=.026) and healthcare-related infection performance (β=-0.28, p=.029). A regression equation describing the microbiological hand contamination was appropriate (F=6.10, p=.004) and accounted for 42% of variance. Conclusion: The findings of this study suggest that it is necessary to increase performance of healthcare-associated infection control by caregivers. Also, educations for preventing healthcare-associated infection and guidelines for increasing compliance with healthcare-associated infection control are recommended to improve performance of healthcare-associated infection control.
- Askarian, M., Memish, Z. A., & Khan, A. A. (2007). Knowledge, practice, and attitude among iranian nurses, midwives, and students regarding standard isolation precautions. Infection Control and Hospital Epidermiology, 28(2), 241-244. https://doi.org/10.1086/510868 https://doi.org/10.1086/510868
- Brennan, T. A., Leape, L. L., Laird, N. M., Hebert, L., Localio, A. R., Lawthers, A. G., et al. (1991). Incidence of adverse events and negligence in hospitalized patients: Results of the harvard medical practice study I. New England Journal of Medicine, 324(6), 370-376. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199102073240604
- Choi, J. H. (2009). The legal aspets of hospital infection. Korean Journal of Medicine, 76(2), 286-289.
- Correea, I., Moralejo, D., Barretti, P., & El Dib, R. P. (2013). Intervention to improve adherence to guidelines on 'standardprecautions' for the control of healthcare associated infections. The Cochrane Library, 10, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010768 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010768
- Elixhauser, A., & Steiner, C. (2007). Infections with methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus(MRSA) in u.s. hospitals, 1993-2005. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs; 2007. Retrieved August 6, 2019, from https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb35.pdf
- Hur, S. Y., Kwon, H. J., & Kim, J. S. (2010). A study on recognition and performance of medical manpower about the hand washing. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 12(4), 1979-1991.
- Hwang, N. M. (2010). An analysis of the debates on introduction of public caregivers' services in acute medical centers. Health and Social Welfare Forum, 170, 60-71.
- Jeong, E. H. (2011). Awareness and performance for standard precautions among outpatient clinics nursing staffs in a universityaffiliated hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, University of Ulsan, Ulsan.
- Jung, M. R. (2017). Effects of empowerment and regarding standard precautions for healthcare associated infection control in healthcare workers on performances. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(2), 243-250. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.243 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.243
- Kang, S. M. (2018) The relationship between anxiety of tuberculosis infection and self care behaviors for tuberculosis infection prevention among workers of a specialty hospital for tuberculosis. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeonsang National University, Jinju.
- Kim, J. G. (2008). Relationship between recognition and performance of a caregiver on management of nosocomial infection. Unpublished master's thesis, Konyang University, Daejeon.
- Kim, J. T., & Shin, D. K. (1978). A study based on the standardization of the STAI for Korea. Newest Medical Journal, 21(11), 69-75.
- Kim, J. Y., & Kim, B. J. (2012). Awareness and performance for standard precautions among health care workers in a general hospital. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, 5(2), 49-60.
- Kim, Y. S. (2012). A study for nosocomial infection control in the emergency rooms. National Institute of Health; 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2019, from https://www.cdc.go.kr/board.es?mid=a40801000000&bid=0050&act=view&list_no=1309
- Ko, Y. S., & Park, B. (2016). Awareness and performance level for healthcare-associated infection control among caregivers at medium and small hospitals. Korean Journal of Healthcare-Associated Infection Control and Prevention, 21(2), 74-84. https://doi.org/10.14192/kjhaicp.2016.21.2.74 https://doi.org/10.14192/kjhaicp.2016.21.2.74
- Korean Society for Nosocomical Infection Control. (2011). Infection control and prevention in healthcare facilities (4th ed.). Hanmi book, Seoul. 2011.
- Kown, J., & Yang, M. S. (2013). A job analysis of acute care hospitals' formal caregiver. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(10), 639-651.
- Kwak, Y. G., Cho, Y. K., Kim, J. Y., Lee, M. S., Kim, H. Y., Kim, Y. K., et al. (2011). Korean nosocomial infections surveillance system, intensive care unit modul report: Data summary from July 2009 through June 2010. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 15, 1-12.
- Lee, J. H., & Lee, G. E. (2012). Perception and practice of hospital infection control of nursing staff depending on the supplementation of nurses in long-term care hospitals. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), 308-316. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.308
- Lee, S. E., Kim, M. J., Sohn, J. W., & Chun, B. C. (2011). Hand-washing practices followed by health care workers in an tertiary care hospital depending on their carriage status for nasally transmitted methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 16, 18-28.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2018). Comprehensive countermeasures for healthcare-associated infection prevention ('18-'22). Retrieved August 6, 2019, from http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=345237
- Oh, J. E., & Park, J. Y. (2018). Influencing factors on performance for standard precaution of healthcare workers of general hospital for infection control. (2018). Journal of Digital Convertgence, 16(4), 231-249. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.231 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.231
- Ryu, B. M., & Ryu, S. M. (2010). The effects of infection prevention education program on infection prevention knowledge and attitude to nursing caregiver students. Journal of the Korea Industrial Information Systems Research, 15(5), 167-177.
- Seibert, D. J., Speroni, K. G., Oh, K. M., DeVoe, M. C., & Jacobsen, K. H. (2014). Knowledge, perceptions, and practices of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus transmission prevention among health care workers in acute-care settings. American Journal of Infection Control, 42, 254-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2013.09.005
- Seo, J. H., & Jung, E. Y. (2017). Factors influencing nursing students' performance on standard precautions of infection control. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 19(2), 69-75. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2017.19.2.69 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2017.19.2.69
- Seol, S. Y., Chang, H. K., Kim, J. M., Shin, H. S., Lee, J. C., Lee, Y. C., et al. (1997). Molecular epidemiologic analysis of nosocomial escherichia coli isolates. The Journal of the Korean Society for Microbiology, 32(1), 1-14.
- Siegel, J. D., Rhinehart, E., Jackson, M., & Chiarelle, L. (2007). Guidelines for isolation precautions: Prevention transmission of infectious agents in healthcare settings. American Journal of Infection Control, 35(10), S65-S164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.10.007
- Spielberger, C. D., Gorsuch, R. L., & Lushene, R. E. (1970). STAI manual for the state-trait anxiety inventory ("self-evaluation questionnaire"). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Yoo, M. Y. (2007). The effect of the hand hygiene education on hand hygiene knowledge, hand hygiene perception and number of bacterial cononies on the hands in care helpers. Unpublished master's thesis, Sahmyook University, Seoul.