- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Exercise Intention, Exercise Habits, and Exercise Self-efficacy on Regular Exercise Behaviors in the Elderly
노인의 운동의도, 운동습관, 운동자기효능감이 규칙적 운동행위에 미치는 영향
- Nam, Song Mi (Department of Nursing, International University of Korea) ;
- Eun, Young (College of Nursing, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2019.10.23
- Accepted : 2019.11.26
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of exercise intention, exercise habit, exercise self-efficacy on exercise behavior with elders at welfare center. Methods: The subjects were 152 elders at the welfare center at J city. Data were collected using the questionnaires which consisted of the Exercise intention scale and the Exercise habit scale developed by Lee and Gu (2018), and the Exercise self-efficacy scale developed by Lee and Chang (2001). The collected data were analyzed with the SPSS/WIN 22.0 program, which was used for frequency, percentage, mean, standard deviation, x2 test, and multiple logistic regression. Results: The regular exercise group consisted of 92 elders (62.5%) and the irregular exercise group of 60 elders (39.5%). The scores for exercise intention, exercise habits, exercise self-efficacy were 3.28±0.70, 3.92±0.61, 2.80±0.88 in regular exercise group, and 2.38±0.99, 3.00±1.07, 2.04±0.73 in irregular exercise group, respectively. Two groups were significantly different between the two groups. Multiple logistic regression analysis showed that exercise intention (OR: 2.26, 95% CI:1.19~4.28), exercise habits (OR: 1.79, 95% CI:1.01~3.15), exercise self-efficacy (OR: 1.99, 95% CI:1.11~3.57) were affecting factors for regular exercise in elders. Conclusion: To increase the regular exercise behaviors of the elderly at the welfare center, it is needed the strategies to increase exercise intention, exercise self-efficacy, and exercise habits.
- Ajzen I. (1991). The Theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Fielding, R. A., Vellas, B., Evans, W. J., Bhasin, S., Morley, J. E., Newman, A. B., et al. (2011). Sarcopenia: An undiagnosed condition in older adults. Current consensus definition: Prevalence, etiology, and consequences. International working group on sarcopenia. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 12(4), 249-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2011.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2011.01.003
- Hashim H, A., Jawis M, N., Wahat, A., & Grove, J. R. (2014). Children's exercise behavior: The moderating role of habit processes within the theory of planned behavior. Psychology Health & Medicine, 19(3), 335-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2013.808751 https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2013.808751
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. (2017). Annual Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2019 from http://www.hira.or.kr/bbsDummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020041000100&brdScnBltNo=4&brdBltNo=9675&pageIndex=1
- Hwang, E. H., & Chung, Y. S. (2008). Effects of the exercise self-efficacy and exercise benefits/barriers on doing regular exercise of the elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38(3), 428-436. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.428 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.428
- Jeong, G. H., Oh. H., Yoon, K. L., Oh, M. A., Kang, E. N., Kim, K. R., et al. (2017). Survey of the elderly (Policy report No 2017-53). Seoul; Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Retrieved April 10, 2019 from http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/entire/retrieveEntireDetail.do?research_id=1351000-201800182
- Joo, C. H., & Kim, O. N. (2018). The study on the analysis and development direction of the elderly welfare center programs by region characteristics. Journal of The Korea Contents Association, 18(1), 370-380. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.01.370 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.01.370
- Kim, I. J., Lee, E. O., Kim, I., Kang, H. S., & Bae, S. C. (2001). Pender prediction of exercise behavior in patients with chronic arthritis based on Pender's health promotion model. The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 8(1), 173-178.
- Kim, J. C., Song, S. T., Kim, K. H., Jung, Y. H., Ju, R. A., Cha, E. J., et al. (2010). A Study on the improvement of exercise programs for the elderly in senior welfare centers. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Retrieved April 10, 2019 from http://dl.nanet.go.kr/SearchDetailView.do?cn=MONO1201238573_1
- Kim, J. S., & Hyun, H. J. (2015). Effect of program promoting intention to exercise performance based theory of planned behavior in the elderly, Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 17(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.1 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.1
- Kim, S. W., Kim, W. C., & Kim, H. C. (2019). The effects of exercise video game on elderly adults' exercise self-efficacy and selfperceived health status. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, 30(1), 33-42. https://doi.org/10.14385/KSSP.30.1.33 https://doi.org/10.14385/KSSP.30.1.33
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). The fourth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. (KNHANES IV-3). 2009. Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved April 10, 2019 from http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/index.jsp
- Lee, B. H., Ko, D. S., Bae, S. Y., Noh, J. S., Choi, M. S., & Park, J. (2010). Factors associated with physical activity among female college students: Using TPB. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 27(3), 23-31.
- Lee, C. I., Hong, K. J., & Lee, W. H. (2014). The effect of participation in the elderly exercise program on successful aging. Korean Journal of Care Management, 13, 47-67.
- Lee, M. J. (2011). An empirocal study on sports programs for the aged in case of Dobong-gu, Seoul. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. S. (2018). Development and effects of exercise habit formation program for undergraduate nursing students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, National Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- Lee, M. S., & Gu, M. O. (2017). Level of physical activity and influencing factors of the first and second year nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 18(6), 53-67. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.53 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.53
- Lee, P. S., & Chang, S. O. (2001). The study on the effect of stage based exercise motivational intervention program for the elderly Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31(5), 818-834. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.5.818 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.5.818
- Lee, S. H. (2017). Comparison of health status and depression of the elderly in senior center by region: Focus on metropolitan areas, medium sized and small city areas, and rural areas. Hallym Journal of Aging Studies, 5(1), 21-35.
- Manini, T. M., & Pahor, M. (2009). Physical activity and maintaning physical function in order adults. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 43(1), 28-31. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2009.058230
- Marcus, B. H., Selby, B. C., Niaura, V. C., & Rossi, J. S. (1992). Self-efficacy and stage of exercise behaviors change. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 63(1), 60-66. https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.1992.10607557 https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.1992.10607557
- Morley, J. E., von Haehling, S., & Anker, S. D. (2014). Are we closer to having drugs to treat muscle wasting disease?. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, 5(2), 83-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13539-014-0149-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13539-014-0149-7
- Park, S. Y., & Gu, M. O. (2018). Development and effects of combined exercise program for older adults with sarcopenia based on transtheoretical model. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 48(6), 656-668. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2018.48.6.656 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2018.48.6.656
- Shin, J., K., Ahn, J. K., Kim, K. H., Kim, E. Y., & Kwon, Y. S. (2016). Aging research panel (KLoSA) basic analysis report. Korea Employment Information Service, p. 63. Retrieved May 15, 2019 from https://survey.keis.or.kr/openresearch/pubboard/List.jsp
- Statistics Korea. (2018). Population aging population in 2018. Retrieved 12, 2018, from http://kosis.kr/conts/nsportalStats/nsportalStats_0102Body.jsp;jsessionid=nwLvGSc9DHVCDX65qkcy85PF9SpLYqDoHUMHp0IDi0faXkllU7HXYFDvy0PXNyNv.STAT_WAS1_servlet_engine4?menuId=10&NUM=1014
- Sung, S. C., Lee, M. G., & Kim, H. S. (2004). Effects of age, falling experience, and exercise habit on fitness level in the elderly men. Journal of the Korea Exercise Science Academy, 13(3), 367-380.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. (2008). Physical activity guidelines fact sheets for professionals: Physical activity guidelines for older adults. Retrieved April 10, 2019 from https://health.gov/paguidelines/2008/summary.aspx
- Verplanken, B., & Orbell, S. (2003). Reflections on past behavior: A self-report index of habit strength. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 33(6), 1313-1330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01951.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01951.x
- World Health Organization. (2010). Global recommendations on physical activity for health. Geneva: WHO. Retrieved April 10, 2019 from http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/index.jsp
- Yi, K. J. (2018). Effects of a therapy exercise program on quality of life in older adults with disabilities. Journal of Adapted Physical Activity and Exercise, 26(4), 83-94.