- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
LSTM Hyperparameter Optimization for an EEG-Based Efficient Emotion Classification in BCI
BCI에서 EEG 기반 효율적인 감정 분류를 위한 LSTM 하이퍼파라미터 최적화
- Aliyu, Ibrahim ;
- Mahmood, Raja Majid (Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lim, Chang-Gyoon (Chonnam National University)
- 임창균 (전남대학교 컴퓨터공학전공)
- Received : 2019.10.26
- Accepted : 2019.12.15
- Published : 2019.12.31
Emotion is a psycho-physiological process that plays an important role in human interactions. Affective computing is centered on the development of human-aware artificial intelligence that can understand and regulate emotions. This field of study is also critical as mental diseases such as depression, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and game addiction are associated with emotion. Despite the efforts in emotions recognition and emotion detection from nonstationary, detecting emotions from abnormal EEG signals requires sophisticated learning algorithms because they require a high level of abstraction. In this paper, we investigated LSTM hyperparameters for an optimal emotion EEG classification. Results of several experiments are hereby presented. From the results, optimal LSTM hyperparameter configuration was achieved.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Sander Koelstra, Christian Muhl, Mohammad Soleymanim, Jong-Seok Lee, Ashkan Yazdani, Touradj Touradj Ebrahimi, Thierry Pun, Anton Nijholt, and Ioannis Patras, "Deap: A database for emotion analysis; using physiological signals," IEEE transactions on affective computing, vol. 3, no. 1, 2011, pp. 18-31. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-AFFC.2011.15
- W.-L. Zheng, W. Liu, Y. Lu, B.-L. Lu, and A. Cichocki, "Emotionmeter: A multimodal framework for recognizing human emotions," IEEE transactions on cybernetics, vol. 49, no. 3, 2018, pp. 1110-1122.
- R. A. Calvo and S. D'Mello, "Affect detection: An interdisciplinary review of models, methods, and their applications," IEEE Transactions on affective computing, vol. 1, no. 1, 2010, pp. 18-37. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-AFFC.2010.1
- Al-Kaysi AM, Al-Ani A, Loo CK, Powell TY, Martin DM, Breakspear M, and Boonstra TW, "Predicting tDCS treatment outcomes of patients with major depressive disorder using automated EEG classification," Journal of affective disorders, vol. 208, 2017, pp. 597-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2016.10.021
- S. Jirayucharoensak, S. Pan-Ngum, and P. Israsena, "EEG-based emotion recognition using deep learning network with principal component based covariate shift adaptation," The Scientific World Journal, 2014, vol. 2014, pp. 1-10
- J. Atkinson and D. Campos, "Improving BCI-based emotion recognition by combining EEG feature selection and kernel classifiers," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 47, 2016, pp. 35-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2015.10.049
- Z. Mohammadi, J. Frounchi, and M. Amiri, "Wavelet-based emotion recognition system using EEG signal," Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 28, no. 8, 2017, pp. 1985-1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-015-2149-8
- Y. Kim, "Progressive Image Coding using Wavelet Transform," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Feb. 2014, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33-40. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2014.9.1.33
- A. E. Vijayan, D. Sen, and A. Sudheer, "EEG-based emotion recognition using statistical measures and auto-regressive modeling," in 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence & Communication Technology, Ghaziabad, India, 2015, pp. 587-591.
- Y. Zhang, X. Ji, and S. Zhang, "An approach to EEG-based emotion recognition using combined feature extraction method," Neuroscience letters, vol. 633, 2016, pp. 152-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2016.09.037
- N. Zhuang, Y. Zeng, L. Tong, C. Zhang, H. Zhang, and B. Yan, "Emotion recognition from EEG signals using multidimensional information in EMD domain," BioMed research international, vol. 2017, 2017, pp. 1-9.
- Z. Lan, O. Sourina, L. Wang, and Y. Liu, "Real-time EEG-based emotion monitoring using stable features," The Visual Computer, vol. 32, no. 3, 2016, pp. 347-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00371-015-1183-y
- S. K. D'mello and J. Kory, "A review and meta-analysis of multimodal affect detection systems," ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), vol. 47, no. 3, 2015, pp. 43:1-43:34.
- M. Soleymani, M. Pantic, and T. Pun, "Multimodal emotion recognition in response to videos," IEEE transactions on affective computing, vol. 3, no. 2, 2011, pp. 211-223. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-AFFC.2011.37
- S. Poria, I. Chaturvedi, E. Cambria, and A. Hussain, "Convolutional MKL based multimodal emotion recognition and sentiment analysis," in 2016 IEEE 16th international conference on data mining (ICDM), Barcelona, Spain, 2016, pp. 439-448.
- P. Tzirakis, G. Trigeorgis, M. A. Nicolaou, B. W. Schuller, and S. Zafeiriou, "End-to-end multimodal emotion recognition using deep neural networks," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol. 11, no. 8, 2017, pp. 1301-1309. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTSP.2017.2764438
- H. Ranganathan, S. Chakraborty, and S. Panchanathan, "Multimodal emotion recognition using deep learning architectures," in 2016 IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), Lake Placid, NY, USA, 2016, pp. 1-9.
- Z. Zhang, F. Ringeval, B. Dong, E. Coutinho, E. Marchi, and B. Schuller, "Enhanced semi-supervised learning for multimodal emotion recognition," in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Shanghai, China, 2016, pp. 5185-5189.
- Tong, I. Aliyu, and C. Lim, "Analysis of Dimensionality Reduction Methods Through Epileptic EEG Feature Selection for Machine Learning in BCI," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, vol. 13, no. 6, Dec. 2018, pp. 1333-1342. https://doi.org/10.13067/jkiecs.2018.13.6.1333
- W.-L. Zheng and B.-L. Lu, "Investigating critical frequency bands and channels for EEG-based emotion recognition with deep neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development, vol. 7, no. 3, 2015, pp. 162-175. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAMD.2015.2431497
- R.-N. Duan, J.-Y. Zhu, and B.-L. Lu, "Differential entropy feature for EEG-based emotion classification," in 2013 6th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER), San Diego, CA, USA, 2013, pp. 81-84.