- Volume 61 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of group integrated intervention program combined animal-assisted therapy and integrated elderly play therapy on live alone elderly
- Kil, Taeyoung (Institute of Agricultural Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yoon, Kyeong-A (Department of Social Welfair, Daejeon University) ;
- Ryu, Hansu (Department of Social Welfair, Woosong University) ;
- Kim, Minkyu (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2019.11.05
- Accepted : 2019.11.08
- Published : 2019.11.30
The purpose of this study is to identify the effects of a group integrated intervention program that simultaneously conducts cognitive activities, physical activities, emotional activities and social interactions by integrating animal-assisted therapy (AAT) and integrated elderly play therapy based on the cognitive functions and depression of the elderly who live alone. This study follows a pre-test post-test design with a nonequivalent control group, to verify the effectiveness of a group integrated intervention. It applies a group integrated intervention program to 20 elderly people who live alone, aged 65 and above (10 in the experimental group, 10 in the control group), once a week for 90 minutes across eight weeks. The study went through MMSE-K, TMT-A and GDSSF-A to assess cognitive functions and the level of depression. The group integrated intervention increased the cognitive functions of the experimental group and decreased levels of depression. Therefore, this study verified that a group integrated intervention program of AAT and integrated play therapy of the elderly, is an effective for increasing cognitive functions and decreasing depression levels of the elderly who live alone. Based on these findings, the study suggests that there is a need to continuously expand group integrated intervention programs and provide relevant political support.
Supported by : Korea Health Industry Development Institute (KHIDI)
- Statistics Korea. Population in old ages. 2018. http://kosis.kr/search/search.do. Accessed 12 Oct 2019.
- Noh JC, Ko ZK. 2013. Current status and problems of support polices and legal improvement devices for the aged living alone. J Korea Contents Soc. 2013;13:257-68. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.257
- Jung KH. Elderly living alone and policy response strategies. Health Welf Issue Focus. 2015;300:1-8.
- Lee HJ, Kahng SK, Lee JY. The effects of socioeconomic position and health behavior on geriatric depressive symptom. J Korean Gerontol Soc. 2008;28:1129-45.
- Kok RM, Reynolds CF. Management of depression in older adults: a review. JAMA. 2017;317:2114-22. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.5706
- Jung BJ, Choi YJ. Effects of a short-term multimodal group intervention program on cognitive function and depression of the elderly. Ther Sci Rehabil. 2019;8:57-68.
- Shin SJ, Lee JS, Kim SK, Jeon BJ. The effect of a group occupational therapy on cognitive function and depression for mild dementia patients in a community. J Korean Soc Occup Ther. 2013;21:45-60.
- Lee YJ, Lee JH, Kim YJ, Yang NY, Park JH. The effect of multimodal intervention on quality of life, depression, and cognitive function in elderly people with dementia: a pilot study. J Korean Soc Occup Ther. 2014;22:85-97. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2014.22.3.07
- Lenehan ME, Summers MJ, Saunders NL, Summers JJ, Ward DD, Ritchie K, et al. Sending your grandparents to university increases cognitive reserve: the tasmanian healthy brain project. Neuropsychology. 2016;30:525-31. https://doi.org/10.1037/neu0000249
- Scarmeas N, Albert SM, Manly JJ, Stern Y. Education and rates of cognitive decline in incident Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:308-16.
- Burgener SC, Yang Y, Gilbert R, Marsh-Yant S. The effects of a multimodal intervention on outcomes of persons with early-stage dementia. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2008;23:382-94. https://doi.org/10.1177/1533317508317527
- Kee BS. A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version. J Korean Neuro Assoc. 1996;35:298-307.
- Kil TY. The effect of integrated play therapy with elderly program on self-expression and depression of the elderly with disabilities. Korean J Gerontol Soc Welf. 2017;74:9-28.
- Trautwein S, Scharpf A, Barisch-Fritz B, Niermann C, Woll A. Effectiveness of a 16-week multimodal exercise program on individuals with dementia: study protocol for a multicenter randomized controlled trial. JMIR Res Protoc. 2017;6:e35. https://doi.org/10.2196/resprot.6792
- Ju ES, Bang YS. The effects of multimodal activity program on physical function, cognitive function and depression of the elderly stroke. J Korea Entertain Ind Assoc. 2018;12:317-28.
- Park YS, Jee YJ. Effects of intervention program on cognitive function, depression, activity of daily living and psycho-emotional function among patients with dementia. Asia Pac J Multimed Serv Converg Art Hum Sociol. 2015;5:187-96.
- Park KY, Shin SJ. The effects of multimodal cognitive intervention focused on instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) for the elderly with high-risk of dementia: a pilot study. J Converg Inf Technol. 2019;9:201-16.
- Kim HJ, Lee CY, Jung HR, Lee GH, Kim DH. The effect of the multi intervention program applying to dementia elderly. J Korean Soc Commun-Based Occup Ther. 2015;5:11-21.
- Ham MJ, Kim SK, Yoo DH, Lee JS. The effects of a multi-modal interventional program on cognitive function, instrumental activities of daily living in patients with mild Alzheimer's disease. J Korean Soc Occup Ther. 2018;26:91-102.
- Acree LS, Longfors J, Fjeldstad AS, Fjeldstad C, Schank B, Nickel KJ, et al. Physical activity is related to quality of life in older adults. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2006;4:37. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-4-37
- de Kloet ER, Joels M, Holsboer F. Stress and the brain: from adaptation to disease. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2005;6:463-75. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrn1683
- Kil TY. The effectiveness verification of integrated elderly play therapy for the older people living alone in a urban and rural complex area: focusing on the depression and interpersonal relationships. Korean Rural Sociol Soc. 2017;72:115-40.
- Pitkala KH, Routasalo P, Kautiainen H, Sintonen H, Tilvis RS. Effects of socially stimulating group intervention on lonely, older people's cognition: a randomized, controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011;19:654-63. https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181f7d8b0
- Cespon J, Miniussi C, Pellicciari MC. Interventional programmes to improve cognition during healthy and pathological ageing: cortical modulations and evidence for brain plasticity. Ageing Res Rev. 2018;43:81-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2018.03.001
- Kim OJ. Literature review on the benefits of companion animals to elderly persons. J Anim Assist Psychother. 2018;7:17-31.
- Fine AH. Handbook on animal-assisted therapy theoretical foundations and guidelines for practice. 3rd ed. San Diego (CA): Academic Press; 2010.
- Shin HW, Chung SD. Program development and evaluation of integrative play therapy for older people with suspected early dementia. J Play Ther. 2015;19:95-109.
- Folstein MF, Folsten SE, McHugh PR. Mini-mental state: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatry Res. 1975;12:189-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Park JH, Kwon YC. Standardization of Korean version of the mini-mental state examination (MMSE-K) for use in the elderly. Part II. diagnostic validity. J Korean Neuropsychiatry Assoc. 1989;28:508-13.
- Reitan RM. Validity of the trail making test as an indicator of organic brain damage. Percept Mot Skills. 1958;8:271-6. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19188.8.131.521
- Kee BS. A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc. 1996;35:298-307.
- Bernstein PL, Friedmann E, Malaspina A. Animal-assisted therapy enhances resident social interaction and initiation in long-term care facilities. Anthrozoos. 2000;13:213-24. https://doi.org/10.2752/089279300786999743