- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Safety Usage Guidelines for Sedative Hypnotics Using the Delphi Technique
델파이 기법을 이용한 다빈도 수면진정제 안전사용지침 개발
- Nam, Yoon-Ju (Department of Psychiatry, Maeumsarang Hospital) ;
- Cho, Chul-Hyun (Department of Psychiatry, Korea University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Yujin (Department of Psychiatry, Korea University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Heon-Jeong (Department of Psychiatry, Korea University College of Medicine)
- 남윤주 (전라북도 마음사랑병원 정신건강의학과) ;
- 조철현 (고려대학교 의과대학 정신건강의학교실) ;
- 이유진 (고려대학교 의과대학 정신건강의학교실) ;
- 이헌정 (고려대학교 의과대학 정신건강의학교실)
- Received : 2019.12.09
- Accepted : 2019.12.10
- Published : 2019.12.31
Objectives: The objective of this study was to develop evidence- and consensus-based clinical safety usage guidelines for sedative hypnotics using the Delphi technique. Methods: A group of 15 sleep experts from Korean Academy of Sleep Medicine were chosen for this study comprising a three-round web-based Delphi survey. The first round survey was composed of 39 questions to identify problems with sedative hypnotics usage in Korean clinical practice and the result roughly outlined what should be included in the guidelines. The second round survey was composed of 21 questions to collect specific opinions of experts on clinically important issues in prescribing sedative hypnotics, and its result provided the basis for the guidelines. A third round survey aimed to evaluate the reliability and validity of the established guidelines. Results: In the third round, all 17 items showed a median of 4 or more, with an average of 4.12 and a standard deviation of 0.32. Thus we present safety usage guidelines with 13 propositions for prescription, maintenance, and withdrawal of sedative hypnotics. Conclusion: The safety usage guidelines on sedative hypnotics developed from this study could lead to safe and effective prescription of hypnotics in clinical practice, especially for the non-experts in sleep medicine. Furthermore, the guidelines will help to improve the quality of insomnia treatment by contributing to the establishment of a safe regime for sedative hypnotics without excessive use of drugs.
Supported by : 식품의약품안전처
- Fink A, Kosecoff J, Chassin M, Brook RH. Consensus methods: characteristics and guidelines for use. Am J Public Health 1984;74:979-983. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.74.9.979
- Gallacher J, Elwood P, Pickering J, Bayer A, Fish M, Ben-Shlomo Y. Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: evidence from the Caerphilly Prospective Study (CaPS). J Epidemiol Community Health 2012;66:869-873. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2011-200314
- Katie S, Kiran H. Hypnotics-Anxiolytics Guidelines, Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust;2012.
- Kelly CM, Jorm AF, Kitchener BA. Development of mental health first aid guidelines for panic attacks: a Delphi study. BMC Psychiatry 2009;9:49. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-9-49
- Kripke DF, Langer RD, Kline LE. Hypnotics' association with mortality or cancer: a matched cohort study. BMJ Open 2012;2:e000850. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-000850
- Lawshe CH. A quantitative approach to content validity 1. Personnel Psychology 1975;28:563-575. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1975.tb01393.x
- Lee YJ. Final report on insomnia treatment status and its effect on Korean health. Foundation S R D;2016.
- Merrigan JM, Buysse DJ, Bird JC, Livingston EH. Insomnia. JAMA 2013;309:733. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.524
- Milholland AV, Wheeler SG, Heieck JJ. Medical assessment by a Delphi group opinion technic. NEJM 1973;288:1272-1275. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197306142882405
- Morin CM, Hauri PJ, Espie CA, Spielman AJ, Buysse DJ, Bootzin RR. Nonpharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia. Sleep 1999;22:1134-1156. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/22.8.1134
- Moul DE, Nofzinger EA, Pilkonis PA, Houck PR, Miewald JM, Buysse DJ. Symptom reports in severe chronic insomnia. Sleep 2002;25:548-558. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/25.5.548
- Noh S. Delphi Technique: Forecasting the future with professional insight. Planning and policy, Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements;2006. p.53-62.
- Roth T, Ancoli-Israel S. Daytime consequences and correlates of insomnia in the United States: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation Survey. II. Sleep 1999;1:S354-S358.
- Salva P, Costa J. Clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of zolpidem. Clin Pharmacokinet 1995;29:142-153. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003088-199529030-00002
- Sateia MJ, Buysse DJ, Krystal AD, Neubauer DN, Heald JL. Clinical practice guideline for the pharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia in adults: an american academy of sleep medicine clinical practice guideline. J Clin Sleep Med 2017;13:307-349. https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.6470
- Schutte-Rodin S, Broch L, Buysse D, Dorsey C, Sateia M. Clinical guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic insomnia in adults. J Clin Sleep Med 2008;4:487-504. https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.27286
- Sun Y, Lin CC, Lu CJ, Hsu CY, Kao CH. Association between zolpidem and suicide: a nationwide population-based case-control study. Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91:308-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.10.022
- You S, Yu H, Lee JS, Sim M, Lee MS, Paik JW, et al. Development of Management Guidelines for a Disaster Mental Health Crisis Assistance Team using a Delphi Process. Kor J Clin Psychol 2018;37:131-143. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2018.37.2.001
- Zammit GK, Weiner J, Damato N, Sillup GP, McMillan CA. Quality of life in people with insomnia. Sleep 1999;1:S379-S385.
- AASM. International Classification of Sleep Disorders 3rd ed. American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2014.
- Arthur L, Ling YH, Gan GL, Yeong NB. Prescribing of Benzodiazepines. Health Moh, MOH Clinical Practice Guideline;2008.
- Assessment HIR. "Insomnia medical statistics index" 2016. From http://www.hira.or.kr/bbsDummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020045010000.
- Bisson JI, Tavakoly B, Witteveen AB, Ajdukovic D, Jehel L, Johansen VJ, et al. TENTS guidelines: development of post-disaster psychosocial care guidelines through a Delphi process. Br J Psychiatry 2010;196:69-74. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.109.066266
- Boulkedid R, Abdoul H, Loustau M, Sibony O, Alberti C. Using and reporting the Delphi method for selecting healthcare quality indicators: a systematic review. PLoS One 2011;6:e20476. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0020476
- Buysse DJ, Thompson W, Scott J, Franzen PL, Germain A, Hall M, et al. Daytime symptoms in primary insomnia: a prospective analysis using ecological momentary assessment. Sleep Med 2007;8:198-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2006.10.006
- Chen PL, Lee WJ, Sun WZ, Oyang YJ, Fuh JL. Risk of dementia in patients with insomnia and long-term use of hypnotics: a population-based retrospective cohort study. PLoS One 2012;7:e49113. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0049113
- Dalkey NC. The Delphi method: An experimental study of group opinion, Rand Corp Santa Monica Calif;1969.