- Volume 35 Issue 6_1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Data Acquisition in the Invisible Zone of UAV through LTE Remote Control
LTE 원격관제를 통한 UAV의 비가시권 데이터 취득방안
- Jeong, HoHyun (Spatial Information Research Institute, LX) ;
- Lee, Jaehee (Spatial Information Research Institute, LX) ;
- Park, Seongjin (Sistech co., LTD)
- Received : 2019.12.10
- Accepted : 2019.12.18
- Published : 2019.12.31
Recently the demand for drones is rapidly increasing, as developing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and growing interest in them. Compared to traditional satellite and aerial imagery, it can be used for various researches (environment, geographic information, ocean observation, and remote sensing) because it can be managed with low operating costs and effective data acquisition. However, there is a disadvantage in that only a small area is acquired compared to the satellite and an aircraft, which is a traditional remote sensing method, depending on the battery capacity of the UAV, and the distance limit between Ground Control System (GCS) and UAV. If remote control at long range is possible, the possibility of using UAV in the field of remote sensing can be increased. Therefore, there is a need for a communication network system capable of controlling regardless of the distance between the UAV and the GCS. The distance between UAV and GCS can be transmitted and received using simple radio devices (RF 2.4 GHz, 915 MHz, 433 MHz), which is limited to around 2 km. If the UAV can be managed simultaneously by improving the operating environment of the UAV using a Long-Term Evolution (LTE) communication network, it can make greater effects by converging with the existing industries. In this study, we performed the maximum straight-line distance 6.1 km, the test area 2.2 ㎢, and the total flight distance 41.75 km based on GCS through LTE communication. In addition, we analyzed the possibility of disconnected communication through the base station of LTE communication.
Grant : 수요처 맞춤형 실감형 3D 공간정보 갱신 및 활용지원 기술개발
Supported by : 국토교통부
- Ardupilot, 2019. MAVLink Commands, http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/mavlink-commands.html, Accessed on Nov. 18, 2019.
- ABI Research, 2010. LTE and LTE-Advanced; Infrastructure, ABI Research, New York, NY, USA.
- Choi, H. T. and G. S. Ryu, 2017. A study on UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) Real Time Location Tracking Control Using Mobile Communication Network, Journal of Korea Institute of Information, 10(6): 535-5440 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Gu, S. H., D. W. Kim, C. M. Park, and K. H. Kim, 2013. Influence of LTE Characteristic and Personal Innovativeness on LTE Smart Phone Acceptance, Journal of Digital Contents Society, 14(3): 291-301 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2013.14.3.291
- Hernandez-Aquino, R., S. A. R. Zaidi, D. McLernon, M. Ghogho, and A. Imran, 2015. Tilt angle optimization in two-tier cellular networks-A stochastic geometry approach, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 63(12): 5162-5177. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2015.2485981
- Hong, J., H. S. Lee, and H. C. Shim, 2016. Building a Long-distance Ground Control System for Multi-UAV Using Commercial LTE Modems, Proc. of 2016 the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences (KSAS) Spring Conference, Jeonbuk, South Korea, Apr. 17-20, pp. 784-786.
- Jeon, H. S., 2017. Drone wireless communication technology development trend, Institute of Information & communications Technology Planning & Evaluation (IITP), Daejeon, South Korea.
- Jeong, H. H., 2019. Development and Accuracy Evaluation of Customized UAV for Photogrammetry, Pukyong University, Busan, South Korea.
- Korea Meteorological Administration, 2019. http://www.weather.go.kr/weather/climate/past_cal.jsp, Accessed on Nov. 18, 2019.
- Kweather, 2019. http://www.kweather.co.kr/kma/kma_past.html, Accessed on Nov. 18, 2019.
- Lee, K. S., W. H. Seok, and Y. K. Song, 2011. Current status and prospect of LTE market, Electronics and Telecommunications Trends, 26(4): 152-164 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S. Y., 2018. A Study on Communication of Multi-Drone System based LTE, Proc. of the Society for Aerospace System Engineering (SASE) 2018 Spring Conference, Jeju, Apr. 25-28, pp. 183-184 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lin, X., V. Yajnanarayana, S. D. Muruganathan, S. Gao, H. Asplund, H. L. Maattanen, and Y. P. E. Wang, 2018. The sky is not the limit: LTE for unmanned aerial vehicles, IEEE Communications Magazine, 56(4): 204-210.
- Ho Green Air, 2018. Spatial Information Quarterly Magazine, LX Spatial Information Research Institute, Jeonju, South Korea.
- Park, J. Y., S. J. Oh, and D. J. Lee, 2017. Development and Operation of Ground Control System for Heterogeneous Multiple UAVs using 3-Dimensional Spatial Information and LTE, Proc. of 2017 the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences (KSAS) Spring Conference, Gangwon, South Korea, Apr. 19-22, pp. 491-492.
- Qualcomm Technologies, 2017. LTE Unmanned Aircraft Systems Trial Report v1.0.1, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., San Diego, CA, USA.
- Wiki, 2019. https://www.speedcheck.org/wiki/rssi, Accessed on Nov. 18, 2019.