- Volume 20 Issue 5
Accrual system in accounting aims to align timing difference between cash inflow or outflow and recognition of revenue or expense. However, the implementation of the accrual system requires judgement and forecasting. In addition, the longer operating cycle results in more uncertainties and less precision in measurement and recognition. The purpose of this research is to examine the value relevance of accruals and cash flow from operations using samples partitioned on the length of operating cycles. It is hypothesized that the longer operating cycle contributes to the increase in uncertainty and more discretionary judgment in applying accrual system. As expected, a strong sign of value relevance of accruals and cash flow from operations in short operating cycles samples has been found. However, in the longest operating cycle sample, the value relevance of accruals and CFOs obtained in the former samples virtually disappear. The value relevance of accruals remain partly in the longest operating cycle sample because accruals contribute to decision usefulness through the timing role of accruals.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- Ahn, H. B. (2014). A study on the relationship between firm's innovation and accruals, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 16(5B), 2563-2576. (in Korean).
- Bushman, R. M., Lerman, A., Zhang, X. F. (2016). The changing landscape of accrual accounting, Journal of Accounting Research, 54(1), 41-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.12100
- Dechow, P. M. (1994). Accounting earnings and cash flows as measures of firm performance: The role of accounting accruals, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 18(1), 3-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(94)90016-7
- Dechow, P. M., Dichev, I. D. (2002). The quality of accruals and earnings: The role of accrual estimation error, The Accounting Review, 77(Supplement), 35-59. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2002.77.s-1.35
- Francis, J., Schipper, K. (1999). Have financial statements lost their relevance?, Journal of Accounting Research, 37, 319-352. https://doi.org/10.2307/2491412
- Goh, J., Kim, S., Lee, H. (2009). The association between proxies for audit quality and the quality of accruals, Korean Accounting Review, 34(2), 1-43. (in Korean).
- Kim, J. J. (2013). The value relevance of operating cash flows and accruals, Journal of Business Research, 28(3), 311-334. (in Korean).
- Kim, S., Kim, J., Kim, D. (2018). A study on the effect of corporate governance on discretionary accruals, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 20(1), 331-342. (in Korean).
- Lee, M. S. (2017). The difference analysis of return on inventory investment by the firm's characteristics and industry, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 19(5B), 2623-2635. (in Korean).
- Lev, B., Thiagarajan, S. R. (1993). Fundamental information analysis, Journal of Accounting Research, 31(2), 190-215. https://doi.org/10.2307/2491270
- Ryu, S. (2011). Asymmetry of changes in operating cash flows on changes in accruals and it's determinants, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 13(2B), 941-953. (in Korean).
- Shim, K. Y., Yu, H. K. (2001). An empirical analysis on the operating cycles and cash cycles of listed manufacturing firms, Korean Accounting Journal, 10(3), 75-99. (in Korean).
- Shin, M., Kim, S. (2011). The determinants and adjustment speed of operating cycle, Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 24(4), 1925-1950. (in Korean).