- Volume 56 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prevalence and Phylogenetic Analyses of Trichuris suis in Pigs in Hunan Province, Subtropical China
- Tan, Lei (College of Veterinary Medicine, Hunan Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, Aibing (College of Veterinary Medicine, Hunan Agricultural University) ;
- Yi, Jing (College of Veterinary Medicine, Hunan Agricultural University) ;
- Liu, Yisong (College of Veterinary Medicine, Hunan Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Jiayu (College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University) ;
- Liu, Wei (College of Veterinary Medicine, Hunan Agricultural University)
- Received : 2018.07.26
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
Trichuris suis infection in pigs is ubiquitous in intensive and extensive farms, which causes potential threat to human health. The objective of this research was to investigate the prevalence of T. suis in pigs in Hunan province. Total 2,267 fresh fecal samples distributed in 28 pig farms from 7 different administrative regions (Hunan province) were evaluated for the existence of T. suis eggs using saturated NaCl floating method. The average infection rate of T. suis in pigs was 8.91% in Hunan province. To determine genetic variation of the gained T. suis isolates in the present study, the internal transcribed spacer (ITS) regions from nuclear ribosomal DNA (rDNA) of 7 T. suis isolates were cloned and analyzed. Nucleotide diversities were 1.0-3.5% and 0-3.8% for ITS-1 and ITS-2, respectively. Phylogenetic analyses indicated that all isolates collected in the present study and T. suis available in Genbank generated a monophyletic clade. The present investigation revealed high infection rates of T. suis in pigs in Hunan province, which shed light on making effective measures to prevent and control T. suis infection in pigs in Hunan province.
Supported by : Department of Science and Technology, Hunan Province
- Meekums H, Hawash MB, Sparks AM, Oviedo Y, Sandoval C, Chico ME, Stothard JR, Cooper PJ, Nejsum P, Betson M. A genetic analysis of Trichuris trichiura and Trichuris suis from Ecuador. Parasit Vectors 2015; 8: 168. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13071-015-0782-9
- Roepstorff A, Murrell KD. Transmission dynamics of helminth parasites of pigs on continuous pasture: Ascaris suum and Trichuris suis. Int J Parasitol 1997; 27: 563-572. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7519(97)00022-2
- Roepstorff A, Mejer H, Nejsum P, Thamsborg SM. Helminth parasites in pigs: new challenges in pig production and current research highlights. Vet Parasitol 2011; 180: 72-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2011.05.029
- Weng YB, Hu YJ, Li Y, Li BS, Lin RQ, Xie DH, Gasser RB, Zhu XQ. Survey of intestinal parasites in pigs from intensive farms in Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China. Vet Parasitol 2005; 127: 333-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2004.09.030
- Liu GH, Zhou W, Nisbet AJ, Xu MJ, Zhou DH, Zhao GH, Wang SK, Song HQ, Lin RQ, Zhu XQ. Characterization of Trichuris trichiura from humans and T. suis from pigs in China using internal transcribed spacers of nuclear ribosomal DNA. J Helminthol 2014; 88: 64-68. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022149X12000740
- Cutillas C, de Rojas M, Ariza C, Ubeda JM, Guevara D. Molecular identification of Trichuris vulpis and Trichuris suis isolated from different hosts. Parasitol Res 2007; 100: 383-389. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-006-0275-z
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol 2011; 28: 2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Burland TG. DNASTAR's Lasergene sequence analysis software. Methods Mol Biol 2000; 132: 71-91.
- Inpankaew T, Murrell KD, Pinyopanuwat N, Chhoun C, Khov K, Sem T, Sorn S, Muth S, Dalsgaard A. A survey for potentially zoonotic gastrointestinal parasites of dogs and pigs in Cambodia. Acta Parasitol 2015; 60: 601-604.
- Krishna Murthy CM, Ananda KJ, Adeppa J, Satheesha MG. Studies on gastrointestinal parasites of pigs in Shimoga region of Karnataka. J Parasit Dis 2016; 40: 885-889. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12639-014-0598-0
- Lai M, Zhou RQ, Huang HC, Hu SJ. Prevalence and risk factors associated with intestinal parasites in pigs in Chongqing, China. Res Vet Sci 2011; 91: 121-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2011.01.025
- Luo HQ, Wang XQ, Zhang H, Lan YF, Qiu G, Li JK, Yangzom C. Investigation of intestinal parasite infections in Tibetan pigs in Nyingchi of Tibet. Chin J Vet Sci 2016 (In Chinese).
- Choubisa SL, Jaroli VJ. Gastrointestinal parasitic infection in diverse species of domestic ruminants inhabiting tribal rural areas of southern Rajasthan, India. J Parasit Dis 2013; 37: 271-275. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12639-012-0178-0
- Yin DM, Lv CC, Tan L, Zhang TN, Yang CZ, Liu Y, Liu W. Prevalence of Balantidium coli infection in sows in Hunan province, subtropical China. Trop Anim Health Prod 2015; 47: 1637-1640. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0904-6
- Nissen S, Al-Jubury A, Hansen TV, Olsen A, Christensen H, Thamsborg SM, Nejsum P. Genetic analysis of Trichuris suis and Trichuris trichiura recovered from humans and pigs in a sympatric setting in Uganda. Vet Parasitol 2012; 188: 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2012.03.004
- Dolezalova J, Obornik M, Hajduskova E, Jirku M, Petrzelkova KJ, Bolechova P, Cutillas C, Callejon R, Jozef J, Berankova Z, Modry D. How many species of whipworms do we share? Whipworms from man and other primates form two phylogenetic lineages. Folia Parasitol 2015; 62: 63.
- Liu GH, Gasser RB, Su A, Nejsum P, Peng L, Lin RQ, Li MW, Xu MJ, Zhu XQ. Clear genetic distinctiveness between human- and pig-derived Trichuris based on analyses of mitochondrial datasets. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2012; 6: e1539. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0001539
- Callejon R, Robles Mdel D, Panei CJ, Cutillas C. Molecular diversification of Trichuris spp. from Sigmodontinae (Cricetidae) rodents from Argentina based on mitochondrial DNA sequences. Parasitol Res 2016; 115: 2933-2945. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-016-5045-y
- Callejon R, Halajian A, Cutillas C. Description of a new species, Trichuris ursinus n. sp. (Nematoda: Trichuridae) from Papio ursinus Keer, 1792 from South Africa. Infect Genet Evol 2017; 51: 182-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2017.04.002