- Volume 60 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Protective effect of soursop (Annona muricata linn.) juice on oxidative stress in heat stressed rabbits
- Jimoh, Olatunji Abubakar (Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti) ;
- Ayedun, Eyanlola Soladoye (Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti) ;
- Oyelade, Waheed Abimbola (Department of Science Technology, Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti) ;
- Oloruntola, Olugbenga David (Department of Animal Science, Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko) ;
- Daramola, Olajumoke Temidayo (Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti) ;
- Ayodele, Simeon Olugbemiga (Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti) ;
- Omoniyi, Idowu Samuel (Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti)
- Received : 2018.09.25
- Accepted : 2018.11.02
- Published : 2018.11.30
Background: Preventing oxidative stress in heat stressed animals may be possible by increasing antioxidant defence via exogenous administration of antioxidant substrate and/or its precursors. The study aimed to investigate the effect of Soursop juice in mitigating oxidative stress induced by heat stress in rabbit. Methods: Sixty mixed breed rabbit bucks aged 12-18 months old with the average weight of
Antioxidants;Glutathione;Heat stress;Lipid peroxide;Rabbit;Soursop
- Jimoh OA, Ewuola EO. Thermoregulatory response of exotic rabbit breeds during peak temperature humidity index of Ibadan. Tropical Animal Production investigation. 2016;19(1):41-7.
- Jimoh OA, Ewuola EO, Balogun AS. Oxidative stress markers in exotic breeds of rabbit during peak of heat stress in Ibadan, Nigeria. Journal of Advances in Biology and Biotechnology. 2017;12(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.9734/JABB/2017/30437.
- Jimoh OA. Assessment of the oxidative stress markers and reproductive performance of four exotic breeds of rabbit in Ibadan. Ph.D. Thesis 2016, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Adewole SO,Ojewole JAO. Protective effects of Annona muricata linn. (annonaceae) leaf aqueous extract on serum lipid profiles and oxidative stress in hepatocytes of streptozotocin-treated diabetic rats. Afr. J. Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines 2009, 6 (1): 30-41.
- Marai IFM, Ayyat MS. Abd El-MonemUM. Growth performance and reproductive traits at first parity of New Zealand white female rabbits as affected by heat stress and its alleviation, under Egyptian conditions. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2001;33:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010369024658
- Sawant TP, Gogle DP. A brief review on recent advances in clinical research of Annona muricata. International journal of universal pharmacy and bio. Sciences. 2014;3(3):267-304.
- Zheng J, Zhou Y, Li S, Zhang P, Zhou T, D X, Li H. Review effects and mechanisms of fruit and vegetable juices on cardiovascular diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(555):1-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18030555.
- Han CH, Kim SH, Kang SH, Shin OR, Lee HK, Kim HJ, Cho YH. Protective effects of cranberries on infected-induced oxidative renal damage in a rabbit model of vesico-ureteric reflux. BJU Int. 2007;100:1172-5.
- Ahmed RS, Seth V, Pasha ST, Banerjee BD. Influence of dietary ginger (Zingiber Officinale Rosc) on oxidative stress induced by malathion in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38:443-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(00)00019-3
- Kota N, Krishna P, Polasa K. Alterations in antioxidant status of rats following intake of ginger through diet. Food Chem. 2008;106:991-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.07.073
- Smarsh DN, Liburt N, Streltsova J, Mckeever K, Williams CA. Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in intensely exercising horses administered nutraceutical extracts. Equine Vet J. 2010;42(Suppl. 38):317-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.2010.00182.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.2010.00182.x
- Syahida M, Maskat MY, Suri R, Mamot S, Hadijah H. Soursop (Annona muricata L.): blood hematology and serum biochemistry of Sprague-Dawley rats. Int Food Res J. 2012;19(3):955-9.