- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Social Support, Self-Efficacy on Aging Anxiety of the Middle-Aged Women
중년여성의 사회적지지, 자기효능감이 노화불안에 미치는 영향
- Park, Jung-Hoon (Department of Healthcare Management, Youngsan University)
- 박정훈 (영산대학교 의료경영학과)
- Received : 2018.08.08
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to determine the effects of middle-aged women's social support and self-efficacy on their aging anxiety, with the ultimate goal of providing basic information for devising educational and interventive programs to help reduce aging anxiety. Participants of this study were 210 middle-aged women living in B Metropolitan City. Data were collected from May 10 to 28, 2018, and statistically processed using t-tests, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient and stepwise multiple regression analysis. Participants showed significant differences in aging anxiety depending on age, education, monthly income, marital life satisfaction, leisure time activities, and number of friends. In addition, aging anxiety had significant negative correlations with social support and self-efficacy, and the main factors affecting middle-aged women's aging anxiety were found to be self-efficacy, marital satisfaction and social support. Of these, self-efficacy had the greatest effect, explaining 42.7% of the participants' aging anxiety. To help middle-aged women reduce their aging anxiety, it is necessary to provide them with programs that improve social activity participation, raise self-efficacy and promote relationships with family and communities. It is also recommended that these women be provided with educational and interventive programs that help them adjust to aging and develop a positive awareness of it.
Aging Anxiety;Middle-Aged Women;Regression Analysis;Self-Efficacy;Social Support
- J. Y. Park, "An Effect of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy in Middle-Aged Women's on the Behavior for Preparing Their Old Age", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.8, No.4, pp.257-270, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.257 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.257
- E. H. Kim, "A Study on Anxiety about Aging of Middle Aged and Elderly Women", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.13, No.2, pp.192-202, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, J. I. Lee, "A Study on Aging Anxiety, Depression, and Self-esteem of Middle-aged People", The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.14, No.1, pp.103-109, 2007.
- K. P. Lasher, P. J. Faulkender, "Measurement of Aging Anxiety: Development of the Anxiety about Aging Scale", The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, Vol.37, No.4, pp.247-259, 1993. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2190/1u69-9au2-v6lh-9y1l https://doi.org/10.2190/1U69-9AU2-V6LH-9Y1L
- J. H. Kim, J. Y. Park, "The Influence of Anxiety over Aging of the Elderly Group on Successful Aging and the Mediation Effect of Social Support", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.9, pp.210-222, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.09.210 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.210
- S. R. Suh, H. J. Choi, "Aging Anxiety and Related Factors of Middle-Aged Adults", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.25, No.4, pp.464-472, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.4.464 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.4.464
- E. J. Jeong, "The Effects of Family Health, Psychological Well-being and Perceived Health Status on Aging Anxiety of the Middle-aged Women", Graduate School of Education at Dong-A University, 2017.
- Y. O. Jung, "The Effects of Social support, Self-efficacy and Perceived health status on Aging anxiety of the Middle-aged women", Department of Nursing Graduate School at Honam University, 2015.
- Y. J. Bark, "A study on the relationship between powerlessness and social support in elderly women", Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, Vol.10, pp.75-95, 2001.
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change", Vol.84, No.2, pp.191-215, 1977. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037//0033-295x.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037//0033-295x.84.2.191
- J. W. Park, "A Study to Development a Scale of Social Support", Department of nursing The Graduate School at Yonsei University, 1985.
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, "The Self-Efficacy Scale: Construction and Validation", Psychological Reports, Vol.51, No.2, pp.663-671, 1982. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.523 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2063
- H. Y. Hong, "The Relationship of Perfectionism, Self-Efficacy and Depression", Department of Psychology The Graduate School at Ewha Womans University, 1995.
- S. N. Kim, S. O. Choi, K. I. Shin, J. H. Lee, "Validation of the Anxiety about Aging Scale", The Journal of Korean Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Academic Society, Vol.17, No.3, pp.292-301, 2008.
- S. K. Kim, J. E. Lee, M. K. Youn, "Influencing Factors on Successful Aging of Middle-aged Women from an Aesthetic Point of View", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.8, pp.3682-3690, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.8.3682 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3682
- J. E. Heo, Y. S. Tae, "Influence of Spiritual Wellbeing and Social Support on Depression in Middle-aged Women", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.26, No.2, pp.181-190, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.181 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.181
- J. M. Seo, H. S. Park, S. R. Lee, "A Study on Relationship among Knowledge of Menopause, Self-efficacy and Menopausal Management in Middle-aged Women", Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, Vol.7, No.1, pp.85-95, 2003.
- S. K. Kim, "A study on the relationship between social participation and self efficacy in middle aged women", Department of Public Administration Graduate School at Korea National Open University, 2011.
- M. K Lee, "Relationship among health promotion behaviors, aging anxiety and quality of life of middle aged women", Department of nursing science Graduate School at Catholic University of Pusan, 2018.
- E. J. Lee, "Effects of Health Perception, Aging Anxiety and Perception of Successful Aging on Health Promotion Behavior of Late Middle-Aged Women", Department of nursing Graduate School at Inje University, 2017.