- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Validity and Reliability of a Korean Version of the Satisfaction with Simulation Experience Scale for Evaluating Satisfaction with High-Fidelity Simulation Education for Nursing Students
간호대학생의 고성능 인체 환자 모형 시뮬레이션 교육 평가를 위한 한국판 시뮬레이션 만족도 경험 도구의 타당도와 신뢰도 연구
- Kim, Jiyoung (Department of Nursing, Dongeui University) ;
- Heo, Narae (Department of Nursing, Hansei University)
- Received : 2018.07.24
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
The purpose of this study was to test the validity and reliability of the Satisfaction with Simulation Experience (SSE) scale for evaluating high-fidelity simulation education for nursing students. Participants were 174 nursing students, seniors enrolled in two colleges in two different regions. Collected data were analyzed using SPSS / WIN 22.0 and tested for construct validity (factor analysis, group comparison test) and reliability (internal consistency). Factor analysis revealed 17 items and 3 factors explaining 71.581% of the variance. Group comparisons showed that satisfaction with simulation training differed significantly across satisfaction to a college life and school record. Internal consistency reliability for all items was .945. For each sub-domain, the reliability coefficient was .929 for 'Debrief', .908 for 'Clinical learning and reflection', and .860 for 'Clinical reasoning'. Nursing students' mean satisfaction with simulation using the high-fidelity simulator was 3.92. Results of this study are expected to be used for evaluating the satisfaction of nursing college students receiving high-fidelity simulation education, and to serve as groundwork for the development and application of nursing simulation education.
Nursing education;Patient simulation;Satisfaction;Reliability;Validity
- P. P. Carson, N. Harder, "Simulation Use within the classroom: Recommendations From the literature", Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.12, No.10, pp.429-437, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.03.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.03.009
- H. S. Byun, K. H. Kwon, B. D. Suh, "Effect of a simulation-based education for advanced cardiovascular life support on knowledge, self-efficacy, clinical performance ability and problem solving process in nursing students", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol.8, No.4, pp.261-273, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2014.12.8.4.261
- J. Kim, N. Heo, "Effect of a simulated education-based hypoglycemia scenario using a high-fidelity simulator on acquisition and retention of diabetes knowledge and academic self-efficacy in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.23, No.3, pp.319-329, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.3.319 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2017.23.3.319
- J. Kim, N. Heo, "Effects of simulation education using a high-fidelity simulator combined with standard patient", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol.17, No.23, pp.333-353, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.23.333
- S. Kardong-Edgren, K. A. Adamson, C. Fitzgerald, "A review of currently published evaluation instruments for human patient simulation", Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.6, No.1, pp.e25-e35, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2009.08.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2009.08.004
- J. H. Kim, I. H. Park, S. Shin, "Systematic review of Korean studies on simulation within nursing education", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.19, No.3, pp.307-319, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.307 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.307
- H. H. Nam, H. Y. Song, B. R. Lee, "A study on the development of a measuring instrument for Korean nursing student' evaluation of the effect of simulation education", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.3, pp.381-390, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.3.381 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.3.381
- Y. J. Lee, J. Y. Yeo, S. K. Lee, "The reliability and validity of the evaluation tool for the performance outcomes in simulation practicum -focused on 'applying nursing process through critical thinking' in women's health nursing simulation practicum -", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.4, pp.154-162, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.154
- T. Levett-Jones, M. McCoy, S. Lapkin, D. Noble, K. Hoffman, J. Dempsey, C. Arthur, J. Roche, "The development and psychometric testing of the Satisfaction with Simulation Experience Scale", Nurse Education Today, Vol.31, No.7, pp.705-710, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.01.004
- H. R. Kim, E. Y. Choi, H. Y. Kang, S. M. Kim, "The relationship among learning satisfaction, learning attitude, self-efficacy and the nursing students' academic achievement after simulation-based education on emergency nursing Care", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.17, No.1, pp.5-13, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2011.17.1.005 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.005
- Y. J. Son, Y. A. Song, E. Y. Choi, "Effects of problem-based learning of nursing student", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.17, No.1, pp.82-89, 2010.
- E. N. Ryoo, Y. S. Park, E. H. Ha, "Outcomes and Satisfaction of Simulation-based Learning in Nursing of Patient with UGI Bleeding", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.3, pp.1274-1282, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.3.1274 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1274
- H. Y. Kang, E. J. Kim, Y. J. Oh, "Development of a scenario and evaluation for simulation learning of care for patients with hyperkalemia of liver cirrhosis in emergency unit", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.9, pp.312-321, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2013.13.09.312 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.09.312
- J. Y. Seo, E. H. Choi, K. E. Lee, "Effect of role rotation experience on learning flow, self leadership and debriefing satisfaction of nursing students in simulation learning", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.7, pp.423-430, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.7.423
- E. H. Ha, H. S. Song, "The effects of structured self-debriefing using on the clinical competency, self-efficacy, and educational satisfaction in nursing students after simulation", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.21, No.4, pp.444-453, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.4.445
- S. J. Ko, E. H. Choi, "Effect of team debriefing in simulation-based cardiac arrest emergency nursing education", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.29, No.6, pp.667-676, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.6.667 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.6.667
- E. J. Cho, "Effects of four team-based high-risk neonatal nursing simulation methods comprising peer turnover on baccalaureate nursing students' perceived outcomes; clinical judgment, core skills performance, and satisfaction", Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol.39, No.2, pp.13-31, 2014.
- H. J. Kwon, S. K. Yoon, "Validation of a Korean version of the satisfaction with simulation experience scale for paramedic students", The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services, Vol.18, No.2, pp.7-20, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14408/kjems.2014.18.2.007 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.2.007
- Y. S. Roh, "Validation of a Korean version of the satisfaction with simulation experience scale", Journal of Healthcare Simulation, Vol.1, No.1, pp.6-11, 2012.
- E. Y. Lee, A. J. Park, N. Y. Lim, I. Lee, J-I, Kim, J. Bae et al., Nursing research and statistics analysis, Seoul: Soomoonsa, 2009.
- K. R. Murphy, C. O. Davidshofer, Psychological testing: principle & applications (2nd ed.), Englewood cliffs, NJ: prentice-Hall, 1991.
- S. Chaiy, Social science research: investigation Methodology (3rd ed), Hakhyunsa, 2013.
- B. Williams, S. Dousek, "The satisfaction with simulation experience scale (SSES): a validation study", Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, Vol.2, No.3, pp.74-80, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v2n3p74
- T. Levett-Jones, K. Hoffman, J. Dempsey, S. Y. S. Jeong, D. Noble, C. A. Norton, J. Roche, N. Hickey, "The 'five rights' of clinical reasoning: an educational model to enhance nursing students' ability to identify and manage clinically 'at risk' patients", Nurse Education Today, Vol.30, No.6, pp.515-520, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.10.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.10.020
- K. E. Kim, B. Y. Lee, "The relationship between satisfaction with clinical practice and clinical performance ability for nursing students", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.10, pp.885-896, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.10.885 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885
- M. S. Park, M. H. Lee, J. A. Gu, "Clinical competency, professional self-concept, and satisfaction of clinical practice in undergraduate nursing students", Journal of Military Nursing Research, Vol.29, No.2, pp.111-123, 2011.
- M. S. Chu, Y. Y. Hwang, "Development and effects of the integrative fidelity simulation curriculum", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.19, No.3, pp.362-370, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.362 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.362
- J. Kim, N. Heo, "Academic self-efficacy and clinical nursing competence of nursing students", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol.17, No.2, pp.611-623, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.2.611