- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Resilience between Novice and Experienced Nurses
신규간호사와 경력간호사의 극복력 비교
- Hwang, Eun-Hee (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University)
- 황은희 (원광대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.07.24
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to compare the resilience, social support, psychosocial stress and burnout between novice and experienced nurses. Data collection was conducted using structured questionnaires for 65 novice nurses with less than one year of clinical experience and 70 experienced nurses with at least seven years of clinical experience working in general hospitals. The results revealed that the resilience of novice nurses was lower than that of experienced nurses, and there were significant differences according to educational level, job satisfaction, and subjective health status. Conversely, experienced nurses' resilience differed according to their position. In addition, the resilience of novice and experienced nurses showed the highest correlation with psychosocial stress (r=-0.633, p<0.001; r=-0.586, p<0.001), while novice nurses' social support (r=0.560, p<0.001) and experienced nurses' burnout (r=-0.404, p=0.001) showed the second highest correlations. These results demonstrate that the factors related to resilience of novice and the experienced nurses differ. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a differentiated program according to the characteristics of resilience of each nurse to improve the resilience of novice and experienced nurses.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- S. J. Jang, S. H. Ko, D. M. Kang, S. A. Kim, M. G. Kang, C. G. Lee, J. J. Chung, J. J. Cho, M. Son, C H. Chae, J. W. Kim, J. I. Kim, H. S. Kim, S. C. Roh, J. B. Park, J. M. Woo, S. Y. Kim, J. Y. Kim, M. N. Ha, J. S. Park, K. Y. Rhee, H. R. Kim, J. O. Kong, I. A. Kim, J. S. Kim, J. H. Park, S. J. Huyun, D. K. Son, "Developing an occupational stress scale for korean employees", Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 297-317, 2005.
- Korean Hospital Nurses Association, Hospital nurses staffing state survey, Korean Hospital Nurses Association. 2016.
- G. McDonald, D. Jackson, L. Wilkes, L. H. M. Vickers, "Personal resilience in nurses and midwives: effects of a work-based educational intervention", Contemporary Nurse: A Journal of the Australian Nursing Profession, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 134-143, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2013.45.1.134 https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2013.45.1.134
- K. Edward, G. Hercelinskyi, "Burnout in the caring nurse: learning resilient behaviors", British Journal of Nursing, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 240-242, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2007.16.4.22987 https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2007.16.4.22987
- J. Block, A. M. Kremen, "IQ and ego-resiliency: Conceptual and empirical connections and separateness", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.70, No.2, pp. 349-361, 1996. DOI: https//doi.org/10.10370022-35188.8.131.529 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- B. M. Gillespie, W. Chaboyer, M. Wallis, P. Grimbeek, "Resilience in the operating room: Developing and testing of a resilience model", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.59, No.4, pp. 427-438, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04340.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04340.x
- I. O. Moon, S. K. Park, J. M. Jung, "Effects of resilience on work engagement and burnout of clinical nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 525-535, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.525 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.525
- B. N. Kim, H. S. Oh, Y. S. Park, "A study of nurses' resilience, occupational stress and satisfaction", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 14-23, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.014
- T. A. Hudgins, "Resilience, job satisfaction and anticipated turnover in nurse leaders", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol.24, pp. E62-E69, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12289 https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12289
- Y. Guo, Y. Luo, L. Lam, W. Cross, V. Plummer, J. Zhang, "Burnout and its association with resilience in nurses: A cross-sectional study", Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.27, pp. 441-449, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13952
- M. R. Jung, E. Jeong, "Convergence influence of clinical nurses' resilience to the job stress turnover intention and vitality", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 305-314, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.305 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.305
- S. H. Kim, "The influencing factors on the resilience in clinical nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Kunsan National University, Kunsan, 2016.
- Y. O. Suh, K. W. Lee, "Lived experiences of new graduate nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 227-238, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.227 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.227
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kwon, M. S. Jeon, J. H. An, "Factors Influencing Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention: A Cross-sectional Survey", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 94-106, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.094 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.094
- H. N. Kim, J. S. Kim, "Work-family compatibility experience of married nurse: Focusing on the expanding stage of the family life cycle", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 545-559, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.545
- Y. H. Yom, H. S. Son, H. S. Lee, M. A. Kim, "The relationship between physical discomfort, burnout, depression, social supports and emotional labor of clinical nurses in Korea", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.23, No.2, pp.222-235, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2017.23.2.222 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2017.23.2.222
- J. H. Kim, Y. S. Park, "Effects of emotional labor and self-efficacy on psychosocial stress of nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administraion, Vol.21, No.1, pp.111-121, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.111 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.111
- S. J. Jang, "Standardization of Health Statistics Data Collection and Measurement: stress", p.92-143, Gaechuk moon wha co., 2000.
- K. A. Park, "Psychosocial stress, Hardiness, Burnout and Turnover intention of Emergency Department Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Busan, 2013.
- D. Jackson, A. Firtko, M. Edenborough, "Personal resilience as a strategy for surviving and thriving in the face of workplace adversity: a literature review", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 1-9, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04412.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04412.x
- K. S. Jang, "A Study on Establishment of Clinical Career Development Model of Nurses", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2000.
- M. M. Park, "Development of resilience scale for nurses", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ajou University, Suwon, 2015.
- J. S. House, "Work Stress and Social Support. Reading", MA: Addison-Wesley, 1981.
- K. A. Son, J. W. Ko, "The moderating effect of social support on the relations between teachers' job stress and job satisfaction, and organizational commitment", The Journal of Educational Administration, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 73-94, 2007.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 99-113, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- H. Y. Choi, "Perfectionism Tendency, Social Support, and Burnout Among Counselors", Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, 2002.
- R. Y. Seo, "Interpersonal relationship(Guardian-patient) stress of emergency room nurse and resilience", Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon, 2016.
- K. A. Kang, S. H. Park, "The effects of self-efficacy and job stress coping on the resilience in clinical nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 549-558, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.6.549
- S. K. Park, J. O. Kim, Y. C. Cho, "Relationships between job stress and psychosocial stress among nurses in a university hospital", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.12, No.9, pp. 3887-3896, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.3887 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.3887
- S. H. Lee, I. Y. Yoo, "A Study of Psychosocial distress, Intention to Quit and Nursing Performance in General Ward Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 236-245, 2010.
- H. K. Cho, Y. J. Choi, M. K. Jeon, G. H. Jung, "Factors Affecting Nursing Productivity of Clinical Nurses : Focused on Emotional Intelligence and Burnout", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.9, pp. 307-316, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.307 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.307
- C. Maslach, W. Schaufeli, "Historical and conceptual development of burnout", Washinton, D. C. : Taylor & Frances, 1993.
- F. Cameron, S. Brownie, "Enhancing resilience in registered aged care nurses", Australasian Journal on Ageing, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 66-71, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6612.2009.00416.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6612.2009.00416.x
- M. H. Jun, "Role transition, resilience and intention to leave in new nurses working at secondary general university hospitals", Unpublished master's thesis, Cha University, Pocheon, 2018.
- H. S. Kim, "The Lived Experience of New Graudate Nurse Within the First 4 monthes of Employment: How soon can we escape from a difficult time", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2018.
- L. Wang, H. Tao, B. J. Bowers, R. Brown, Y. Zhang, "Influence of social support and self-efficacy on resilience of early career registered nurses", Western Journal of Nursing Research, Vol.40, No.5, pp. 648-664, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945916685712 https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945916685712
- A. Demir, M. Ulusoy, "Investigation of factors influencing burnout levels in professional and private lives of nurses", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.40, No.8, pp. 807-827, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(03)00077-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(03)00077-4
- K. S. Heather, L. Michael, D. Aria, G. Debra, "Workplace empowerment, incivility, and burnout: Impact on staff nurse recruitment and retention outcomes", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 302-311, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.00999.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.00999.x
- S. Y. Kang, "The process of overcoming the professional burnout of clinical nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 427-436, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.427 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.427