- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing the Communication Behavior of nurses caring for people with Dementia: Focused on the compassionate competence and Burnout
치매대상자를 돌보는 간호사의 의사소통행위 영향요인: 공감역량과 소진을 중심으로
- Lee, Jihye (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Gang, Moonhee (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.07.26
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of nurse's compassionate competence and burnout on their communication behavior with dementia patients. The subjects of this study were 190 nurses who were taking care of patients with dementia at long-term care hospitals and who agreed with the survey. The collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson Correlation Coefficient, and multiple regression. The communication behavior of nurses caring for dementia patients was found to have a significant correlation with compassionate competence and burnout. Multiple regression analysis showed that nurses' compassionate competence and burnout affected communication behavior, and the total explanatory power was 31%. It is suggested that the results of this study can be used as basic data for developing programs to improve communication behavior with patients with dementia.
Compassionate competence;Burnout;Communication behavior;Dementia;Nurse
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. "2001-2017 A Study on the National Health and Medical Status [Ienternet]", Sejong (GA): Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2018[cited 2018 April 10], Available From: http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/sch/index.jsp
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. "Case reviews of long-term care hospital evaluation. Executive education program", p65-81. Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, 2010.
- American Psychiatric Association. "Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorder(5th ed.)", Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- S. K. Lee, D.E. Seong, D.E. Seo, H. S. Bae. "Effects of theatre-based group language therapy on communication abilities of nursing home patients with dementia", Drama Art Therapy study, Vol.5, pp. 161-179, 2016.
- J. H. Lee. "Development and Validation of the Communication Behavioral Scale of nurses caring for people with Dementia", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungnam University, Daejeon, 2018.
- J. Perry, S. Galloway, J. L. Bottorff, S. Nixon. "Nurse-patient communication in dementia: improving the odds", Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 31(4), 43-52. 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20050401-10 https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20050401-10
- E. B. Ryan, S. D. Meredith, M. J. MacLean, & J. B. Orange. "Changing the way we talk with elders: promoting health using the communication enhancement model", The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, Vol 41, NO 2, pp. 89-107. 1995. https://doi.org/10.2190/FP05-FM8V-0Y9F-53FX
- M. L Schant. "Compassion: A concept analysis", Nursing Forum, Viol 42, No 2, pp. 48-55. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6198.2007.00067.x
- Y. Lee, G. Seomun. "Development and validation of an instrument to measure nurses' compassion competence", Applied Nursing Research, Vol 30, pp. 76-82. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.09.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.09.007
- Naomi Feil, Vicki De Klerk-Rubin, David Nilson. "The Validation Breakthrough, Third Edition Simple Techniques for Communicating With People With Alzheimer's and Dementia", Baltimore: Health Professions Press, 2012.
- P. McEvoy, R. Plant. "Dementia care: using empathic curiosity to establish the common ground that is necessary for meaningful communication", Journal of psychiatric and mental health nursing, Vol 21, No 6, pp. 477-482, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpm.12148
- J. W. Park, E. J. Choi. "Factors Influencing Job Satisfaction of Nurses Working in Long-term Care Hospitals: Focused on Burnout and Burden for Caring Problematic Behaviors in Dementia", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society Vol. 16, No. 11 pp. 7403-7413, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7403 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7403
- J. A. Song, J. W. Park, H. J. Kim. "Impact of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia on Caregiver Burden in Nursing Homes", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. Vol 15, No 1, 62-74, 2013.
- M. R. Kim, G. A. Seomun, "Relationships among Burnout, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention to Resign in Hospital Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 93-101, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93
- R. K., James, B. E. Gilliland. "Crisis intervention strategies(4th.)", Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole Thomson Learning, 2001.
- J. H. Kang, "Effect of a Social Support Program on Caregivers of Elders with Dementia", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 2, 142-153, 2010.
- M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach. "Nurse turnover: The mediating role of burnout", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol 17, pp. 331-339, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01004.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01004.x
- M. S. Chung. "Relations on Self-esteem, Empathy and Interpersonal Relationship for Reinforcing Competence in Communication of Nursing Students", Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.20 No.2, pp. 332-340, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.332 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.332
- H. P. Jeong, K. C. Su. "The Relationship among Self-esteem, Empathy, Communication Skill and Clinical Competency of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society Vol. 16, No. 11 pp. 7698-7707, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7698 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7698
- S. J. Jeong, K. H. Kim. "Empathy Ability, Communication Ability, and Nursing Performance of Registered Nurses and Nursing Assistants in Long-term Care Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 23 No. 3, PP. 249-258, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.3.249 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.3.249
- E. J. Oh, M. H. Lee, S. H. Ko. "Influence of Emotional Intelligence and Empathy on the Facilitative Communication Ability of Psychiatric Nurses", J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs Vol. 25 No. 4, pp. 283-293, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.283 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.283
- A. M. Pines, E. Aronson, D. Kafry. "Burnout: From Tedium to Personal Growth", New York: The Free Press, 1981.
- E. H. Peek. "A study of the correlation between burnout and job satisfaction levels among nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 1982.
- J. Kim, H. Y. Ahn, M. R. Eom, M. Y. Lee. A "Study of Emergency Room Nurses' Burn-out, Nursing Performance, and Professional Identity]", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing Vol.19, No.1, 2010.
- H. Moon1, J. Y. Kim. "The Influence of Clinical Nurses' Emotional Intelligence and Job Stress on Burnout". Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2018.2.12.2.173
- S. I. Im, J. Park, H. S. Kim. "The Effects of Nurses Communication and Self-Leadership on Nursing Performance", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol 21, No 3, 274-282, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- H. S. Lee, J. K. Kim. "Relationship among Communication Competence, Communication Types, and Organizational Commitment in Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol 16, No 4, pp. 488-496, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- Y. J. Son, Y. A. Lee, K. N. Sim, S. S. Kong, Y. S. Park. "Influence of Communication Competence and Burnout on Nursing Performance of Intensive Care Units Nurses", J Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 278-289, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.3.278 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.3.278
- G. Ancel. "Developing empathy in nurses: an inservice training program", Archives of psychiatric nursing, Vol 20, No 6, pp. 249-57. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2006.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2006.05.002