- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The factors affecting therapeutical diversification of domestic pharmaceutical companies in Korea
국내 제약기업의 치료제 질환분야 다각화 결정요인
- Jung, Seung-Yeon (School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Won (School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2018.07.24
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study is to identify factors influencing therapeutic diversification strategy for Korean pharmaceutical companies. So, it purposes to find deciding factors for companies to adopt strategy for diversification or specialization. In this paper, we set six factors that are expected to influence diversification. The factors are asset scale, sales, profitability, and growth potential. Also, we included number of employees and SG&A cost ratio as factors that reflect business characteristics. We analyzed the impacts of each factor on diversification and found a relationship amongst each other. In this paper, regression analysis is applied with forward selection method, considering that it takes 5 years for companies to decide on diversification strategy. As a result, asset scale, the number of employees and profitability have significantly influenced decisions of diversification at t-1 time, and growth potential was significantly influenced at t-2 time. Korean pharmaceutical companies generally tend to go with specialization model if they have larger asset scale, higher profitability and growth potential. However, they have tendency to decide on diversification strategy, if they have large number of employees. Overall, the result of this study is expected to provide useful information for Korean pharmaceutical companies to set the suitable strategy for their situation to become a competitive company in global pharmaceutical market.
Berry-Herfindahl Index;BHI;diversification;pharmaceutical;therapeutic area
- H. I. Ansoff, "Strategies for Diversification", Harvard Business Review, Vol.35, No.5, pp.113-124, 1957.
- T. H. Gwon, "A Firm's Growth and its Diversification Effects", Korean Journal of Financial Studies, Vol.45, No.4, pp.811-836, September, 2016.
- B. G. Kim, S. H. Park, M. H. Ku, "Does Corporate Diversification Decrease Corporate Value?", Korean Journal of Financial Studies, Vol.29, No.1, pp.215-243, September, 2001.
- S. G. Jun, "The Effect of Conglomerate restructurings in late 1990's: Do Size and Diversification Affect Performance of Korean Conglomerates", Korean Journal of Financial Studies, Vol.32, No.1, pp.219-254, February, 2003.
- D. H. Kim, A. S. Kim, C. C. Kim, "Study on the Performance Analysis between Conglomerate and Non-conglomerate M&A", Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.4, No.4, pp.422-427, December, 2003.
- D. S. Cho, K. S. Park, "The Interactive Effects of Diversification Strategy and Entry Mode on Economic Performance: Empirical Analysis of 30 Major Chaebol Groups in Korea", Korea trade review, Vol.27, No.2, pp.309-330, June, 2002.
- I. H. Hwang, O. L. Choi, Business Diversification and Financial Performance in Korean Chaebols, p. 3-159, Korea Economic Research Institute, 2014.
- I. W/ Jun, The determinants of diversification in Korean big business groups, pp.1-76, Korea Economic Research Institute, 1996.
- C. A. Montgomery, "Corporate Diversification", Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol.8, No.3, pp.163-178, Summer, 1994. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1257/jep.8.3.163 https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.8.3.163
- J. S. Chang, J. Ha, K. K. Lee, An Analysis of the Determinants and Diversification Trends of Large Business Groups in Korea, pp.1-126, Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade, 2011.
- I. C. Kang, "An empirical study on the determinants of business diversification strategy in Korean listed firms", Financial Engineering Research, Vol.6, No.2, pp.169-196, December, 2007.
- H. K. Kim, Company diversification status analysis, p.1-190, Statistical Research Institute, 2010
- S. J. Im, K. G. Yoon, "The effect of resource types on firm diversification", Chungang University Journal of Business Administration, Vol.28, No.1, pp.1-30, August, 2001.
- A. Gautam, X. Pan, "The changing model of big pharma: impact of key trends", Drug Discovery Today, Vol.21, No.3, pp.379-384, March, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2015.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2015.10.002
- Su-Jin Gwak, Yoon-Taek Jung, Seong-Han Jeon, Jeong-Sook Kim, Dea-Woong Park, Eun-Jin Yoon, A-Rang Jung, Na-Young Shin, Study on deriving business model of specialized pharmaceutical companies, p. 1-151, Korea Health Industry Development Institute, 2013.
- K. J. Yoon, D. J. Kim, B. Y. Lee, N. W. Hyung, S. H. Moon, S. R. Park, H. S. Yoo, J. Y. Cheon, Structure Analysis and Improving Strategies on Pharmaceutical Industry, pp.1-357, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affair, 2012.
- Y. M. Kwak, J. S. Choi, "Value Drivers for Korean Pharmaceutical Industry: The Roles of Sales Promotion vs. R&D Expenditures", Korea management review, Vol.42, No.2, pp.987-1025, August, 2013.
- G. A. Steiner, "Top management's role in planning", Long Range Planning, Vol.1, No.4 pp.2-9, June, 1969. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(69)90039-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(69)90039-9
- Y. K. Shin, Management of Korea, pp.1-839, Pakyoungsa, 1996.
- G. H. Jung, Growth strategy and management structure of Korean companies, pp.1-416, Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 1987.
- R. P. Rumelt, "Diversification strategy and profitability", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.3, No.4, pp.359-369, October/December, 1982. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030407 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030407
- C. K. Hong, J. H. Cheung, "The relationship between SG&A costs and future firm performance", Journal of Accounting, Vol.24, No.2, pp.153-182, April, 2015.