- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study of Driver Test Station-based on Driver Behaviors Assessment: from 20s to 70s
운전운동평가-기반 연령별 운전자 행태 분석 연구: 20대부터 70대까지
- Song, Chiang-Soon (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Oan-Na (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- Im, Hyun-Jun (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- Park, Su-Jin (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- Jo, Jin-Min (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- On, Hyeong-Min (Department of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Chosun University)
- 송창순 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 이안나 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 임현준 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 박수진 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 조진민 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 온형민 (조선대학교 보건과학대학 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2018.08.11
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
Driving behaviors are reported to be vulnerable to safe driving in unexpected situations or driving in the city due to deterioration of physical and cognitive functions in elderly drivers. The purpose of this study was to investigate the difference in driving behaviors according to age of self-drivers and to identify changes in physical function related to driving caused by normal aging. The subjects of the study included 75 healthy adults (21 persons aged 20-39 years, 40 persons 40-64 years, 14 persons 65 years old) who were self-driving and possessed a driver's license. Data included sex, dominant hand, medication, exercise, age, and driving time obtained by a self-reported questionnaire. In addition, this study measured steering, acceleration and braking using a Driver Test Station. Results of the study showed there was no significant difference in power test according to age group, but the total time of the timer test and the emergency brake test significantly differed according to age. The timer test and emergency brake test were completed fastest in young adults between 20 and 39 years old and completed slowest in elderly people 65 years old or over. Based on our study results, it is suggested that normal aging affects the perceptual-cognitive processes associated with driving behaviors.
Supported by : 조선대학교
- Statistics Korea, 2016 Older Statistics, pp.1-77, Statistics Korea, 2016.
- Y. M. Kim, S. Y. Oh, "Problems of the aged in aging society and edu-work-fare polity", Korean Journal of Welfare Counseling, Vol.3, No.1, pp.1-23, 2008.
- Statistics Korea, 2017 traffic accident statistics, Statistics Korea, Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action, (accessed Apr. 2, 2018).
- Statistics Korea, Driving licence holder statistics, Available from: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1617, (accessed Apr. 2, 2018).
- KoROAD, The result of analysis of elderly driver accident Big data of recent 5 years, KoROAD, Available from: http://koroad.or.kr/kp_web/index.do, (accessed Apr. 2, 2018).
- E. Dugan, K. N. Barton, C. Coyle, C. M. Lee, "U.S. Policies to Enhance Older Driver Safety: A Systematic Review of the Literature", Journal of Aging & Social Policy, Vol.25, No.4, pp.335-352, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08959420.2013.816163 https://doi.org/10.1080/08959420.2013.816163
- Autoadapt. Driver Test Station, Available from: https://www.autoadapt.com/en/products/independent-driving/driver-test-station/, (accessed Apr. 2, 2018).
- J. Michales, R. Chaumillon, D. Nguyen-Tri, D. Watanabe, P. Hirsch, F. Bellavance, G. Giraudet, D. Bernardin, J. Faubert, "Driving simulator scenarios and measures to faithfully evaluate risky driving behavior: A comparative study of different driver age groups", Plos One, Vol.12, No.10, Article ID e0185909, pp.1-24, October 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0185909
- S. M. Miller, R. E. Taylor-Piliae, K. C. Insel, "The association of physical activity, cognitive processes and automobile driving ability in older adults: A review of the literature", Geriatric Nursing, Vol.37, No.4, pp.313-320, July-August, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2016.05.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2016.05.004
- K. J. Anstey, J. Wood, S. Lord, J. G. Walker, "Cognitive, sensory and physical factors enabling driving safety in older adults", Clinical Psychological Review, Vol.25, No.1, pp.45-65, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2004.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2004.07.008
- L. M. Trick, J. T. Enns, J. Mills, J. Vavrik, "Paying attention behind the wheel: a framework for studying the role of attention in driving", Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, Vol.5, No.5, pp.385-424, 2004. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14639220412331298938 https://doi.org/10.1080/14639220412331298938
- K. J. Anstey, M. S. Horswill, J. M. Wood, C. Hatherly, "Accident Analysis & Prevention The role of cognitive and visual abilities as predictors in the Multifactorial Model of Driving Safety", Accidental Analysis & Prevention, Vol.45, pp.766-774, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.10.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.10.006
- American Geriatrics Society. Clinician's guide to assessing and counseling older drivers. 3rd. ed. Available From: http://geriatricscareonline.org. (accessed Jul., 10, 2018)
- American Association of Retired Persons. Smart Driver Course. Available From:http://www.aarpdriversafety.org/.(accessed Jul., 10, 2018)
- Automobile Association of America. Senior driving. Physical fitness techniques. Available From: http://seniordriving.aaa.com/. (accessed Jul., 10, 2018)
- Foundation for Traffic Safety. Drivers 65p brochure. Available From: www.aaafoundation.org/. (accessed Jul., 10, 2018)
- H. Gwyther, C. Holland, "The effect of age, gender and attitudes on self-regulation in driving", Accidental Analysis & Prevention, Vol.45, pp.19-28, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.11.022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.11.022
- M. L. Ackerman, M. Crowe, D. E. Vance, V. G. Wadley, C. Owsley, K. K. Ball, "The Impact of Feedback on Self-rated Driving Ability and Driving Self-regulation Among Older Adults", The Gerontologist, Vol.51, No.3, pp.367-378, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnq082 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnq082
- J. G. Pickard, J. Tan, N. Morrow-Howell, Y. Jung, "Older Drivers Retiring From the Road: An Application of the Selection, Optimization, and Compensation Model", Journal of Human Behavior Social Environment, Vol.19, No.2, pp.213-229, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10911350802687232 https://doi.org/10.1080/10911350802687232