- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Relationship between Parent Attachment and Career Maturity of Middle School Students
중학생들의 부모애착과 진로성숙도의 관계분석
- Jung, Kyung-Hwa (Dept. of oriental studies, University of Brain Education) ;
- Kim, Ki-Seung (Dept. of oriental studies, University of Brain Education)
- Received : 2018.08.10
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study analyzed whether differences in individual characteristics and parental attachment affect the career maturity of middle school students in grades 1-3 in Asan, South Korea. Individual characteristics included gender, grade, grades, parental education, and economic level, while parental attachment included mutual trust, alienation, and communication. Career maturity included determinism, objectivity, readiness, independence, and assurance. Results showed there were significant differences in gender, grades, and economic level. Only gender differences affected attachment to mothers, with female students exhibiting stronger effects than male students. Grades that both the father and the mother showed differences. The economic level differed only in father's attachment. The effects of parental attachment on career maturity were found to be higher in career maturity with lower father's alienation and higher mother's mutual trust. Career maturity did not affect the assurance variable. Mother's communication affected determinism and mutual trust affected objectivity. Father's mutual trust and mother's communication affected readiness, and father's alienation showed a negative relationship. Mother's mutual trust positively affected independence. These results may be a valuable reference for understanding the behavioral psychology of adolescents and their parents. However, there is a limit to the generalizability of this study.
Parental Attachment;Career Maturity;Mutual trust;Isolation;Communication;Determination;Purpose;Assurance;Readiness;Independence
- Y. J. Song, "Relationships of Parent Attachment, Self-Identity, and Career Maturity in Middle School Students", Master's Thesis, Seokang University, Seoul, 2006.
- S. Y. Kim, "A study of the effect of parental attitudes perceived by middle school students and parental attachment on career maturity", Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2005.
- Y .K. Hong, "The Study on The Effects of Attachment to Parents and Communication Type with Parents That Middle School Students Perceive on Career Maturity: Based on The Difference Between Genders", Master's Thesis, Dongguk University, Seoul, 2012.
- B. W. Lee, "A study for the effect of Adolescent's attachment factors and self-esteem on career maturity", Master's Thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 2008.
- B. G. Park, "The mediating effect of self-efficacy on the relationships between the youth's attachment and career maturity", Dongbang Culture University, Seoul, 2015.
- S. N. Shin, "The Influence of attachment on career maturity mediated by self-efficacy", Master's Thesis, Ewha womans University, Seoul, 2015.
- O. Jung,"(The) Relationship between Attachment Security and Depression in Adolescence : Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Perceived Competence", Master's Thesis, Ewha womans University, Seoul, 1998.
- J. M. Jung, "The effects of career decision making style and occupational engagement on career attitude maturity", Master's Thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2011.
- E. M. Lim, "The Short-term Longitudinal Study on the Development of Elementary Student's Career Maturation", The Korea Journal of counseling, Vol.5, No.3, pp.667-680, 2004.
- S. R. Kim, Y. J. Hwang, "The Influences of Career Experiential Learning and Program Evaluation on High School Students' Career Maturity", The Journal of Career Education Research, Vol.29, No.2, pp.167-190, 2016.
- J. E. Park, J. A. Lee, J. Y. Lee, I. J. Chung, "The Influence of Attachment on Career Maturity and Career Preparation Behavior: Focusing on Moderating Effects of Poverty", Korean Association of Adolescent Welfare, Vol.13, No.3, pp.93-116, 2011.
- S. Y. Jeon, "The Effect of Self-Esteen, Parent Attachment, and Social Support on Carrer Maturity of Undergraduate Students", Master's Thesis, Hoseo, University, Cheonan, 2015.
- K. H. Lee, "Relationship between career maturity and psychological variables of high school students: Self-esteem, Occupational Value", Doctoral Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 1997.
- O. H. Choi, "The Influence of Attachment Relationship and Style and Career Search Self-Efficacy on Career Development of College Students", Doctoral Thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 2006.
- J. A. Park, "A study on the effect of Career reading research program on the Career maturity", Doctoral Thesis, Kyonggi University, Seoul, 2015.
- Y. J. Jang, "The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of Career Decision Making Training Program on Career Maturity", Master's Thesis, Ewha womans University, Seoul, 2010.
- H. J. An, C. H. Lee, "The Effects of Attachment on Career Maturity through Career Decision-making Self-efficacy", The Educational Research for Tomorrow, Vol.24, No.1, pp.1-21, 2011.
- S. Y. Kwon, Y. S. Park, J. Y. Song, "The Influence of Peer Attachment on Career Maturity of the high school student : Focused on the Multiple Mediating effect of Depression and Self-Esteem", Korea Journal of Social welfare Education, Vol.28, pp.123-146, 2014.
- W. S. Hee, "Developmental Trajectories of Career Maturity and Parental Attachment in Adolescence: The Longitudinal Effect of Self-Control As a Mediator", Doctoral Thesis, Hanyang University, Gyeonggi, 2013.
- J. Y. Choi, "A Study on Longitudinal Relationship between Palent-Adolescent Relationships and Career Maturity of High School Students", Master's Thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul, 2016.
- C. M, Seol, "The Relationship between Juvenile mental health, Attachment to Friends and Parents and Career Maturity", Master's Thesis, Catholic University, Daegu, 2010.