- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Sexual assertiveness of Unmarried Women
미혼 여성의 성적 자기주장 영향요인
- Kim, Hyo-Jung (College of Nursing, Suwon Women's University)
- 김효정 (수원여자대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.08.02
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of unmarried women's self-efficacy and sex role stereotypes on sexual assertiveness. This study is a descriptive research study. The subjects of this study were unmarried women who had experience of dating. Data collection was conducted by online from July 17th to 19th, 2018. The final 190 subjects were the subject of the study and data analysis was performed using the SPSS 24.0 program. Pearson's correlation was used for correlations between variables, and multiple regression analysis was performed to determine the effect on sexual assertiveness. The results showed that there was a significant difference in the scores of the sexual assertiveness according to the age, having a boyfriend, number of intimate relationship, and sexual intercourse experience. There was a positive correlation between sexual assertiveness and self-efficacy, while there was a negative correlation between sexual assertiveness and sex role stereotypes. Factors influencing sexual assertiveness were sexual intercourse experience and sex role stereotypes, which accounted for 41.7%. This study was meaningful in that it analyzed the factors influencing sexual assertiveness among unmarried women who are not college students. In order to increase the sexual assertiveness of unmarried women, it is necessary to have a program that takes into account stereotypes of sex roles.
sexual assertiveness;self-efficacy;sex role stereotypes;unmarried;women
- S. W. Hwang, "Structural equation modeling on cont raceptive behaviors of unmarried men and women in Korea", Unpublished doctoral thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2013.
- L. F. O'Sullivan, S. Hoffman, A. Harrison, C. Dolezal, "Men, Multiple Sexual Partners, and Young Adults' Sexual Relationships: Understanding the Role of Gender in the Study of Risk", Journal of Urban Health, Vol.83, No.4, pp.695-708. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5
- J. I. Ahn, Y. G. Ko, "Effects of consensual unwanted sex and attachment on satisfaction with romantic relationship", The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, Vol.19, No.3, pp.233-251, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2014.19.3.003 https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2014.19.3.003
- S. B. Chang, "Development of Sexual Autonomy Measurement for College Students", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol.8, No.1, pp.106-115, 2001.
- S. Y. Son, S. M. Lim, "The relationship between adult attachment and consent to unwanted sex : The mediating effects of self-esteem and sexual assertiveness", University Life Research, Vol.17, No.2, pp.17-36, 2011.
- J. Y. Lee, E. S. Lee, "The Explanatory Models of Dating Violence and Victimization With Dating Partners Among College Students", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 419-436, 2005.
- Y. S. Seo, Y. C. Kwon, "A Path Analysis of Variables Influencing convergence-based Safer Sexual Behavior of Early Adults", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.7, pp.299-307, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.299 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.299
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company, 1997.
- Y. M. Ha, H. K. Choi, "Relationships among Self Efficacy, Social Support, and Health Promoting Behaviors in Correctional Officers", Korea Occupational Health Nursing Society, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 163-170, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.163 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.163
- J. H. Kim, M. J. Kwon, S. K. Jung, "The Influence of Health Locus of Control, Social Support, and Self-Efficacy on Health Promoting Behavior in Middle-Aged Adults", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.4, pp.494-503, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.494 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.494
- K. W. Kim, K. H. Kang, G. H. Jeoung, "Self-Efficacy and Sexual Autonomy among University Students", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.51-59, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.051 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.051
- J. Pearson, "Personal control, self-efficacy in sexual negotiation, and contraceptive risk among adolescents: The role of gender", Sex Roles, Vol.54, pp.615-625, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-006-9028-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-006-9028-9
- E. S. Do, Y. S. Seo, "Factors Influencing Sexual Autonomy in College Students", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.20, No.2, pp.129-136, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.129 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.129
- C. S. Kang, J. H. Park, "The Mediating Effect of permissiveness of Sexual violence on Correlation between College students' stereotypes of Gender role and Experience of Sexual Violence Ability : Surveying residing in Jeju", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.8, pp.274-279, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.273 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.274
- S. H. Choi, "Factors Influencing Sexual Assertiveness of Women University Students in Nursing", Journal of Korean Academic Psychology Mental Health Nursing, Vol.25, No.4, pp.367-374, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.367 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.367
- S. J. Kim, "Factors Affecting Gender-Role Stereotype", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol.44, No.1, pp.89-111, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2013.44.1.89 https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2013.44.1.89
- Y. H. Kim, S. T. Moon, H. S. Kang, "Factors Influencing on Sexual Assertiveness of College Students", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol.19, No.3, pp.166-175, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.3.166 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.3.166
- S. M. Park, "The Influence of Myths about Sexual Violence and Acceptance of Dating Violence on Sexual Assertiveness of Female College Students", Unpublished master thesis, Konyang University, Chungnam, Korea, 2015.
- K. Y. Jo, Y. H. Kim, "Factors Influencing Sexual Assertiveness of Women College Students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.16, No.5, pp.2795-2806, 2014.
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, R. W. Rogers, "The Self-Efficacy Scale: Construction and Validation", Psychological Reports, Vol.51, No.2, pp.663-671, 1982. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1243 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- A. S. Jeong, "A Study on the Relationship between Health Promotion Behavior and Self-Efficacy in Nurses", Unpublished master thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, 2007.
- D. I. Kim, Gender Differences (3): Social Psychological Aspects, Sociology of sexuality, Seoul, Mooneumsa, 1991.
- P. J. Morokoff, K. Quina, L. L. Harlow, L. Whitmire, D. M. Grimley, P. R. Gibson, G. J. Burkholder, "Sexual Assertiveness Scale (SAS) for women: Development and validation", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.73, No.4, pp.790-804, 1997. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.520 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2060
- M. H. Choi, "Factors influencing sexual assertiveness among women college students", Unpublished master thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, 2005.
- K. S. Shon, S. M. Jeoung, "The Mediation Effects of Sexual Assertiveness between Gender-role Stereotypes and Dating Violence Acceptability of Female College Students", The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, Vol.21, No.3, pp.441-457, 2016. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2016.21.3.005
- I. Y. Han, S. H. Hong, "Do Gender Role Attitudes Affect on Depression?", The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, Vol.16, No.4, pp.477-498, 2011. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2011.16.4.004
- D. Davis, P. R. Shaver, M. L. Vemon, "Attachment Style and Subjective Motivations for Sex", Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.30, pp.1076-1090, 2004. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0146167204264794 https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167204264794
- J. I. Ahn, "Effects of attachment and consensual unwanted sex on satisfaction with romantic relationship", Unpublished master thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2014.