- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effects of Social Support on the Relation between Emotional Labor and Organizational Commitment of Franchise Food Service Industry Employees
프랜차이즈 외식업체 종사자의 감정노동과 조직몰입 관계에서 사회적지지의 매개효과 분석
- Choi, Tae-Sun (Department of liberal arts College, Seowon University)
- 최태선 (서원대학교 교양학부)
- Received : 2018.07.20
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This empirical study examined the relationships among emotional labor, social support, and organizational commitment of franchise food service industry employees, and analyzed the mediating effects of social support from the fellow and director on the relationship between emotional labor and organizational commitment. A total of 268 employees in the franchise food service industry, such as fast food, chicken, and coffee in Seoul, were analyzed by frequency analysis, reliability analysis, correlation analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, and structural equation model analysis using the SPSS Program. The results of verifying the research hypotheses could be summarized as follows. First, the surface emotional labor of franchise food service industry employees had negative effects on the organizational commitment. Deep emotional labor had significant positive effects on the organizational commitment, and fellow and director support had significant positive effects on the organizational commitment. Second, the social support from the fellow and director had partially mediating effects on the relationship between emotional labor and organizational commitment. This suggests that emotional labor and social support play essential roles in enhancing the organizational commitment of franchise food service industry employees.
franchise food service industry employee;emotional labor;fellow support;director support;organizational commitment
- M. Y. Park, "Study on influence of emotion labor of worker in the food service industry on emotion performance strategy and exhaustion", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Kyonggi University, Seoul, 2008.
- M. J. Kim, "A Study on the Re-conceptualization of Emotional Labor", The Korean Society of Management Consulting, Vol.17, No.2, pp.73-87, 2017.
- G. Lee, "Korean Emotional Laborers' Job Stressors and Relievers: Focus on Work Conditions and Emotional Labor Properties", Safety and Health at Work, Vol.6, No.4, pp.338-344, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2015.08.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2015.08.003
- D. H. Yoon, "The Influence of Emotional Display Rule on the Internal Customer's Emotional Labor: Focused on Emotional Labor toward Consumers, Superiors and Coworkers", Consumer Policy and Education Review, Vol.13, No.1, pp.135-157, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15790/cope.2017.13.1.135 https://doi.org/10.15790/cope.2017.13.1.135
- J. C. Park, "The relationship among emotional labor, job satisfaction, co-worker trust, and customer orientation of professional chef", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Honam University, GwangJu, 2017.
- W. B. Kim, K. Y. Rhee, G. R. Lee, "Work Environment and Stress of Emotional Laborers", Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol.46, No.2, pp.123-149.
- J. M. Kim, "The influence that social support network of hotel organization and self-directness of employee have on job involvement and turnover", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Kyonggi University, Seoul, 2015.
- E. M. Baek, "A structural equation modeling of the effects of emotional labor and job stress on depression among nurse practitioners with long working hours: with mediating effects of resilience and social support", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, 2017.
- M. A. Go, J. G. Kim, "The differences of exhaustion and organizational commitment from emotional labor depending on employees in open kitchens", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.31, No.8, pp.223-238, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21298/IJTHR.2017.08.31.8.223
- H. C. Kim, "The effects of emotional labor on job performance", The Korean Society of Management Consulting, Vol.17, No.2, pp.23-35, 2017.
- Y. O. Park, S. S. Ahn, "A Study on the Influences of Emotional Labor on the Quality of Service, Organizational Commitment, and Job Satisfaction : Focusing on the flight attendants", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.29, No.6, pp.167-186, 2015.
- A. Hochschild, "The managed heart: commercialization of human feeling", Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1983.
- K. H. L. Chu, S. K. Murrmann, "Development and validation of the hospitality emotional labor scale", Tourism Management, Vol.27, No.6, pp.1181-1191, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2005.12.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2005.12.011
- S. Cobb, "Social support as a moderator of life stress", Psychosomatic Medicine, Vol.38, No.5, pp.300-314, 1976. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197609000-00003 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197609000-00003
- N. E. Betz, "Implications of the Null Environment Hypothesis for Women's Career Development and for Counseling Psychology", The Counseling Psychologist, Vol.17, No.1, pp.136-144, 1989. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0011000089171008 https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000089171008
- U. Schulz, R. Schwarzer, "Long-Term Effects of Spousal Support on Coping with Cancer After Surgery", Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, Vol.23, No.5, pp.716-732, 2004. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.716.50746 https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.716.50746
- T. A. Beehr, "The process of retirement: a review and recommendations for future investigation", Personnel Psychology, Vol.39, No.1, pp.31-55, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1986.tb00573.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1986.tb00573.x
- R. C. Kessler, R. H. Price, C. B. Wortman, "Social Factors in Psychopathology: Stress, Social Support, and Coping Processes", Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.36, No.1, pp.531-572, 1985. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.002531 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.002531
- S. K. Lee, "The impact of psychological contract violation on organizational commitment - focusing on the moderating role of transaction characteristics", Journal of Tourism Management Research, Vol.46, No.1, pp.89-106, 2011.
- K. D. Park, "The effect relationship between organizational justice and organizational commitment of food industry employees", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Honam University, GwangJu, 2014.
- J. P. Meyer, N. J. Allen, "A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment", Human Resource Management Review, Vol.1, No.1, pp.61-89, 1991. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- C. O'Reilly, J. Chatman, "Organizational commitment and psychological attachment: the effects of compliance, identification, and internalization on prosocial behavior", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.71, No.3, pp.492-499, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.492 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.492
- S. H. In, K. E. Eom, K. I. Chung, "The Effects of Foodservice Employees' Perceived Servant Leadership on Their Role of Group Cohesiveness and Organizational Commitment", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.29, No.11, pp.163-180, 2015.
- P. R. Yook, J. H. Oh, T. Y. Cho, "A multigroup study on the effect relationship of emotional labor and social support on job burnout: focusing on group and non-group employees of a casino company", Korean Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol.24, No.1, pp.205-226, 2015.
- Y. S. Kim, M. A. Ko, "The impact of five-star hotel employees' emotional labor on job burnout and organizational commitment", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.31, No.3, pp.151-165, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21298/IJTHR.2017.03.31.3.151
- H. Y. Lee, A. J. Hong, "Impact of Support from Spouses and Supervisors on Career Commitment and Work-Life Conflict among Married Workers", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol.31, No.2, pp.45-66, 2012.
- M. J. Kim, "The effects of work-life balance on social support, affective commitment, job satisfaction and turnover intention of employee's -focusing on the hospitality industry", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Dong-Eui University, Busan, 2016.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, No.6, pp.1173-1182, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- M. E. Sobel, "Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models", In S. Leinhart (Ed.),"Sociological methodology", San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1982.
- B. G. Cha, K. W. Cha, "The methodology of social science", Seoul: Seoul National University, 2013.
- S. W. Lee, "The structural relationship between emotional labor, emotional dissonance, organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior of employees in golf clubs", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, KyungHee University, Seoul, 2017.
- B. Lakey, E. Orehek, "Relational regulation theory: a new approach to explain the link between perceived social support and mental health", Psychological Review, Vol.118, No.3, pp.482-495, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0023477 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023477
- J. R. B. Halbesleben, "Sources of social support and burnout: a meta-analytic test of the conservation of resources model", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, No.5, pp.1134-1145, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.5.1134 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.5.1134