- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
PSO-Based PID Controller for AVR Systems Concerned with Design Specification
설계사양을 고려한 AVR 시스템의 PSO 기반 PID 제어기
- Lee, Yun-Hyung (Offshore Training Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology)
- 이윤형 (한국해양수산연수원 해양플랜트교육팀)
- Received : 2018.07.16
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
The proportional-integral-derivative(PID) controller has been widely used in the industry because of its robust performance and simple structure in a wide range of operating conditions. However, the AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulator) as a control system is not robust to variations of the power system parameters. Therefore, it is necessary to use PID controller to increase the stability and performance of the AVR system. In this paper, a novel design method for determining the optimal PID controller parameters of an AVR system using the particle swarm optimization(PSO) algorithm is presented. The proposed approach has superior features, including easy implementation, stable convergence characteristic and good computational efficiency. In order to assist estimating the performance of the proposed PSO-PID controller, a new performance criterion function is also defined. This evaluation function is intended to reflect when the maximum percentage overshoot, the settling time are given as design specifications. The ITAE evaluation function should impose a penalty if the design specifications are violated, so that the PSO algorithm satisfies the specifications when searching for the PID controller parameter. Finally, through the computer simulations, the proposed PSO-PID controller not only satisfies the given design specifications for the terminal voltage step response, but also shows better control performance than other similar recent studies.
AVR System;Design Specification;Performance Criterion Function;PID Controller;PSO Algorithm
- P. Kunder, N. J. Balu, M. G. lauby, Power System Stability and Control, Vol.7, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1994
- H. Panagopoulos, K. J. Astrom, T. Hagglund, "Design of PID Controllers Based on Constrained Optimization", IEE Proceedings of Control Theory Application, Vol.149, No.1, pp.32-40, 2002. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1049/ip-cta:20020102 https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cta:20020102
- R. C. Panda, "Synthesis of PID controller for unstable and integrating processes", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol.64, No.12, pp.2807-2816, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2009.02.051 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2009.02.051
- M. A. Johnson and M. H. Moradi, PID Control: New Identification and Design Methods, Chapter 2, Springer, London, UK, 2005.
- U. S. Banu, G. Uma, "Fuzzy Gain Scheduled Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor with Particle Swarm Optimization Based PID Control Minimizing Integral Square Error", Instrumentation Science and Technology, Vol.36, No.4, pp.394-409, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10739140802151499 https://doi.org/10.1080/10739140802151499
- M. S. Arumugam, M. V. C. Rao, "On the performance of the particle swarm optimization algorithm with various inertia weight variants for computing optimal control of a class of hybrid systems", Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Vol.2006, Article ID 79295, pp.1-17, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/DDNS/2006/79295
- M. S. Arumugam and M. V. C. Rao, "On the optimal control of single-stage hybrid manufacturing systems via novel and different variants of particle swarm optimization algorithm", Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Vol.2005, No.3, pp.257-279, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/DDNS.2005.257 https://doi.org/10.1155/DDNS.2005.257
- R. M. Chen, C. M. Wang, "Project Scheduling Heuristics Based Standard PSO for Task-resource Assignment in Heterogeneous Grid", Abstract and Applied Analysis, Vol.2011, Article ID 589862, pp.1-20, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2011/589862
- R. F. Abdel-Kader, "Particle Swarm Optimization for Constrained Instruction scheduling", VLSI Design, Vol.2008, Article ID 930610, pp.1-7, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2008/930610
- S. M. G. Kumar, R. Jain, N. Anantharaman, V. Dharmalingam, K. M. M. S. Begum, "Genetic Algorithm Based PID Controller Tuning for a Model Bioreactor," Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol.50, No.3, pp.214-226, 2008.
- I. Chiha, N. Liouane, P. Borne, "Tuning PID Controller Using Multiobjective Ant Colony Optimization", Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Vol.2012, Article ID 536326, pp.1-7, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/536326
- V. Rajinikanth, K. Latha, "Bacterial Foraging Optimization Algorithm Based PID Controller Tuning for Time Delayed Unstable Systems", Mediterranean Journal of Measurement and Control, Vol.7, No.1, pp.197-203, 2011.
- J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, "Particle Swarm Optimization", Proceedings of ICNN'95 - International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol.4, Perth, Australia, pp.1942-1948, 1995. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICNN.1995.488968
- Y. Shi, R. Eberhart, "A Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer", 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Proceedings. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (Cat. No.98TH8360), Anchorage, USA, pp.69-73, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/icec.1998.699146
- Y. Shi, R. C. Eberhart, "Empirical Study of Particle Swarm Optimization", Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation-CEC99 (Cat. No. 99TH8406), Washington, DC, Vol.3, pp.1945-1950, 1999. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/cec.1999.785511
- R. C. Eberhart, Y. Shi, "Comparison between Genetic Algorithms and Particle Swarm Optimization", Evolutionary Programming VII, pp.611-616, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/bfb0040812
- P. J. Angeline, "Using Selection to Improve Particle Swarm Optimization," 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Proceedings. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (Cat. No.98TH8360), Anchorage, USA, pp.84-89, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/icec.1998.699327
- H. Yoshida, K. Kawata, Y. Fukuyama, "A Particle Swarm Optimization for Reactive Power and Voltage Control Considering Voltage Security Assessment," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.15, No.4, pp.1232-1239, 2000. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/59.898095
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, TMH, 8th reprint, 2009.
- O.I. Elgerd, Electric Energy Systems Theory. An Introduction, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1983.
- F. M. Miavagh, E. A. A. Miavaghi, A. R. Ghiasi, M. Asadollahi, "Applying of PID, FPID, TID and ITID controllers on AVR system using particle swarm optimization (PSO)", 2015 2nd International Conference on Knowledge-Based Engineering and Innovation (KBEI), Tehran, Iran, pp.866-871, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/kbei.2015.7436157
- S. Panda, B. K. Sahu, P. K. Mohanty, "Design and performance analysis of PID controller for an automatic voltage regulator system using simplified particle swarm optimization", Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol.349, No.8, pp.2609-2625, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfranklin.2012.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfranklin.2012.06.008
- H. Gozde, M. C. Taplamacioglu, M. Ari, "Automatic Voltage Regulator(AVR) design with Chaotic Particle Swarm Optimization", Proceedings of the 2014 6th International Conference on Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), pp.23-26, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ecai.2014.7090158
- H. Zhu, L. Li, Y. Zhao, Y. Guo, Y. Yang, "CAS algorithm-based optimum design of PID controller in AVR system", Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, Vol.42, No.2, pp.792-800, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chaos.2009.02.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chaos.2009.02.006