- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Individualized Upper Extremity Exercise Program for Patients after Mastectomy
유방절제술 후 환자를 위한 맞춤형 상지 운동프로그램 효과
- Lim, Kyung Hee (College of Nursing & Research Institute of Nursing Science, Keimyung University)
- 임경희 (계명대학교 간호대학 & 간호과학연구소)
- Received : 2018.07.19
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to develop an individualized upper extremity exercise program for patients after mastectomy and evaluate its effectiveness. A nonequivalent control-group pretest-posttest design was used for this investigation. Research participants were patients with breast cancer who underwent mastectomy at two university hospitals (experimental group, n=17; control group, n=16). The experimental group received an individualized upper extremity exercise program three times a week for 7 weeks. Data were analyzed by the
Breast Cancer;Mastectomy;Exercise;Upper Extremity;Flexion;Rotation;Grip Strength
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- K. W. Jung, Y. J. Won, H. J. Kong, C. M. Oh, H. S. Cho, D. H. Lee et al. Cancer statistics in Korea: Incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2012. Cancer Research and Treatment. Vol.47.No.2, pp. 127-141. 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2015.060 https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2015.060
- Korean Breast Cancer Society. Breast cancer facts & figures 2016[Internet]. Seoul: Korean Breast Cancer Society, 2016 [cited 2018 March 30]. Available from: http://www.kbcs.or.kr/journal/file/2016_Breast_Cancer_Facts_and_Figures_updated.pdf
- B. Y. Chung, H. S. Byun, K. D. Kim, K. H. Kim. Risk factors of breast cancer. Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 120-127, 2008.
- H. J. Won, J. I. Kim. The effect of cancer-overcome BeHaS exercise program on pain, flexibility, grip strength and stress in breast cancer patients following surgery. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol.16, No.2, pp. 181-189, 2009.
- G. Isaksson, B. Feuk. Morbidity from axillary treatment in breast cancer: a follow-up study in a district hospital. Acta Oncologica, Vol.39, No.3, pp. 335-336. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/028418600750013104
- A. L. Cheville, J. Tchou. Barriers to rehabilitation following surgery for primary breast cancer. Journal of Surgical Oncology. No.5, pp. 409-418, 2007. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20782
- S. Y. Park, J. I. Kim. Effects of BeHaS exercise program on flexibility, grip strength, stress and self-esteem in breast cancer survivors. The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. Vol.20, No.3. pp. 171-179. 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2013.20.3.171 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.171
- Y. W. Kim, M. S. Kim. The change of upper body functional fitness on lymph massage and resistance exercise by the type of surgery for breast cancer. Korean Journal of Physical Education. Vol.49, No.1, pp. 491-497, 2010.
- O. H. Cho. Effects of a comprehensive rehabilitation program for mastectomy patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol.34, No.5, pp. 809-819, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.809 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.809
- M. L. McNeely, K. L. Campbell, B. H. Rowe, T. P. Klassen, J. R. Mackey, K. S. Courneya. Effects of exercise on breast cancer patients and survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Medical Association Journal. Vol.175, No.1, pp. 34-41, 2006. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.051073 https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.051073
- D. R. Shamley, K. Barker, V. Simonite, A. Beardshaw. Delayed versus immediate exercises following surgery for breast cancer: a systematic review. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. Vol.90, No.3, pp.:263-271, 2005. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-004-4727-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-004-4727-9
- C. M. Kaelin. The breast cancer survivor's fitness plan. p.200-285, 1st ed. Bae HS, Translator. Seoul: Joyoon Communication; 2008.
- K. S. Courneya, R. J. Segal, J. R. Mackey, K. Gelmon, R. D. Reid, M. Friedenreich et al. Effects of aerobic and resistance exercise in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol.25, No.28, pp. 4396-404, 2007. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2006.08.2024 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.2024
- A. Y. Eom. Effects of a TaiChi program for early mastectomy patients. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. Vol.13, No.1, pp. 43-50, 2007.
- Korea Sport Science Institute. The latest exercise regimen loans. p. 203-215, 3rd ed. Seoul: 21st Century Educator; 2010.
- American College of Sports Medicine(ACSM). ACSM's resource manual for guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. p. 437-447, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Williams & Wilkins; 1998.
- D. L. Riddle, J. M. Rothstein, R. L. Lamb. Goniometric reliability in a clinical setting shoulder measurements. Journal of the American Physical Therapy Association. Vol.67, No.5, pp. 668-673, 1987.
- M. Von Korff, R. A. Deyo, D. Cherkin, W. Barlow. Back pain in primary care: Outcomes at 1 year. Spine Journal. Vol.18, No.7, pp. 855-862, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199306000-00008
- K. S. Courneya, J. R. Mackey, L. W. Jones. Coping with cancer: can exercise help? Physician Sport medicine. Vol.28, No.5, pp. 49-73, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3810/psm.2000.05.896
- T. Lee, S, Kilbreath, K. Refshauge, S. Pendlebury, J. Beith, I. M. Lee. Pectoral stretching program for women undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. Vo.102, No.3, pp. 313-321, 2007. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9339-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9339-0
- Y. M. Park. Effects of an early upper-limb exercise program on the shoulder joint function after breast cancer surgery, Unpublisehd master's thesis, Sahmyook University, Seoul, 2008.
- G. W. Lee, C. W. Yi, S. H. Cho, J. M. Park. The therapeutic effects of an early exercise program after mastectomy. Journal of the Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapists. Vol.89, No.1, pp.35-50, 2001.
- H. S. Park, K. Y. Cho, K. Y. Park. The effects of a rehabilitation program on physical health, physiological indicator and quality of life in breast cancer mastectomy patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol.36, No.2, pp. 310-320, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.2.310 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.2.310
- M. Y. Seoung. Effect of Tai Chi exercise program on physical functioning and psychological problems of breast cancer patients after surgery, Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam University, Chungnam, 2008.
- Y. R. Chae, M. A. Choe. Effects of exercise on cardiopulmonary functions and shoulder joint functioning in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy after breast surgery. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol.31, No.3, pp. 454-466, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.3.454 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.3.454
- Y. W. Kim, M. S. Kim. The effects of 12 week's yoga, elastic band swiss ball exercise program on physical function improvement for breast cancer survivor. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics. Vol.35, No.2, pp. 1051-1060, 2009.
- M. S. Kim. The change of physical function in accordance with rehabilitation exercise frequency for the breast cancer survivors. Korean Journal of Physical Education. Vol.49, No.4, pp. 315-323, 2010.
- S. L. Kilbreath, K. M. Refshauge, J. M. Beith, L. C. Ward, J. M. Simpson, R. D. Hansen. Progressive resistance training and stretching following surgery for breast cancer: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMC Cancer. Vol.6, p.273, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-273 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-273
- S. Modi, A. W. Stanton, R. H. Mellor, A. M. Peters, J. R. Levick, P. S. Mortimer. Regional distribution of epifascial swelling and epifascial lymph drainage rate constants in breast cancer-related lymphedema. Lymphatic Research and Biology. Vol.3, No.1, pp. 3-15, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2005.3.3 https://doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2005.3.3