- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Impact on department adaptation of field practice adaptation, college adaptation, and awareness of death of nursing students
간호대학생의 현장실습적응, 대학적응, 죽음에 대한 인식이 학과적응에 미치는 영향
- Je, Nam Joo (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Park, Meera (Department of Nursing, Changshin University)
- Received : 2018.07.16
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to identify the impact on department adaptation of field practice adaptation, college adaptation, and awareness of death of nursing students, as well as to establish basic data for adaptation of the major, adaptation to field practice, and measures to raise awareness of death. The subjects of this study were 252 Junior and Senior nursing students living in C, J city. Data were collected after approval from the IRB of C University on April 30, 2018 and analyzed by the mean values, percentages, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient and multiple regression using IBM SPSS 21.0. The subjects' field practice adaptation was 3.58, college adaptation was 3.33, awareness of death was 3.15 and department adaptation was 3.38. There were significant correlations between department adaptation and field practice adaptation (r=0.56, p<0.001), negative of death (r=-0.15, p=0.016), respect for life (r=0.33, p<0.001) of nursing students, field practice adaptation and college adaptation (r=0.48, p<0.001) and respect for life (r=0.16, p=0.009) of nursing students and between college adaptation and respect for life (r=0.32, p<0.001) of nursing students. The factors that have effect on the department adaptation of the subjects; As a factor influencing the department adaptation, department adaptation, field practice adaptation, and respect for life were explained by 67.5% (F=171.67, p<0.001). Therefore, a positive attitude toward death and a curriculum related to change in perception must be provided to undergraduates to change the attitude toward death. It is also suggested that research regarding nursing department adaptation effects be conducted after implementing the program to improve respect for life.
- E. A. Kim, K. S. Jang, "Developing a Prediction Model regarding Adjustment of Nursing Students to College Life", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol.18, no.2, pp. 312-322, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312
- H. J. Park, J. W. Oh, "The Relationships of the Clinical Practice Stress and the Major Satisfaction with the Nursing Professionalism of Nursing College Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol.12, no.12, pp.417-426, 2014. DOI: http://www.earticle.net/article.aspx?sn=237221 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417
- S. J. Kim, H. K. Moon. "Status and Consciousness of Freshman year 2004". The Journal of creativity Development Research. vol.8, pp.1-48. 2005
- S. N. Kim, H. J. Kim, S. O. Choi, "Effects of a Hospice and Palliative Care Education Program Including Meaning in Life on Attitudes Toward End-of-Life Care and Meaning in Life Among Nursing College Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol.17, no.3, pp.454-463, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.454
- D. Barron, E. West, R. Reeves, "Tied to the Job: Affective and Relational Components of Nurse Retention.", Journal of Health Service Research Policy, vol.12, pp.46-51, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1258/135581907780318419
- H. S. Park, K. S. Jeong, "Influence of Self-directed Learning Ability and Creativity on College Adjustment in Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol.19, no.4, pp.549-557, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.549
- S. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, H. M. Son, "Comparison of Attitudes of Nursing Students toward Death, Self-esteem and Life Satisfaction according to Clinical Experience", The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol.14, no.3, pp.144-151, 2011.
- S. Y. Jung, E. K. Lee, B. H. Kim, J. H. Park, M. K. Han, I. K. Kim, "Attitude toward Death in Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol.17, no.2, pp.168-177, 2011. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02348521 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.168
- A. E. Stewart, J. H. Lord, D. L. Mercer, "A Survey of Professional's Training and Experience in Delivering Death Notifications", Death Study, vol.27, no.4, pp.611-613. 2000.
- M. S. An, K. J. Lee. "Awareness of Good Death and Attitudes toward Terminal Care among Geriatric Hospital Nurses", The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol.17, no.3, pp.122-133, 2014. DOI: http://scholar.ndsl.kr/schDetail.do?cn=JAKO201426059105111 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2014.17.3.122
- K. H. Kim, K. D. Kim, H. S. Byun, B. Y. Chung, "Spiritual Well-Being, Self Esteem, and Attitude to Death among Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing, vol.10, no.1, pp.1-9, 2010.
- E. Hong, M. Jun, E. S. Park, E. Ryu, "Death Perceptions, Death Anxiety, and Attitudes to Death in Oncology Nurses", Asian Oncology Nursing, vol.13, pp.265-272, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.265
- National Cancer Information Center. Korean National Cancer Screening Guideline for Seven Major Cancers [Internet]. Goyang: National Cancer Information Center; 2015 [cited 2018 Apr 24]. Available from: https://www.cancer.go.kr/lay1/bbs/S1T674C680/B/26/view.do?article_seq=20969
- S. N. Kim, S. O. Choi, "Nurses' Death Anxiety and Spirituality", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol.16, no.1, pp.101-110, 2010. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02346302 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.101
- S. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, "Development and Evaluation of Death Education Program for Nursing Students", Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol.22, no.3, pp.277-286, 2015. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE06504742 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.277
- Y. W. Woo, K. H. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Death Anxiety and Terminal Care Stress among Nurses and the Relationship to Terminal Care Performance", Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol.16, no.1, pp.33-41, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.033 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.033
- H. J. Lee, "A Study on the Nursing Student's Attitude Toward Death and Perception on Hospice Care", Journal East-West Nursing Research, vol.19, pp.88-95, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.88
- H. R. Kim, "Attitude towards Death, Stress and Attitude on the Terminal Care among Medical Ward Nurses with Terminal Experience", Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic university, 2014.
- E. Y. Yu, Y. J. Yang, E. Y. Jung, "Attitudes toward Death Awareness among Department of Health University Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 241-251, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.241 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.241
- K. H. Kim, K. D. Kim, H. S. Byun, B. Y. Chung, "Spiritual Well-Being, Self Esteem, and Attitude to Death among Nursing Students", Asian Oncology Nursing, vol.10, no.1, pp.1-9, 2010.
- M. S. Koh. "The Observational Experience of Labor and Delivery by Student Nurses in the Clinical Setting". Journal of Korean academic Nursing, vol.27, no.4, pp.892-900. 1997.
- M. S. Suh. "The Study on the Experience of Psychiatric Nursing Practice among Nursing Students using Q-methodological Approach". Journal Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, vol.10, no.4, pp.686-698. 2001.
- Y. J. Choi. "Therapeutic Effects of Ojungyousik Meditation on Mental Health State of Nursing Students". Journal Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, vol.12. no.2, pp.127-135. 2006.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, A. G. Lang, "Statistical Power Analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for Correlation and Regression Analyses," Behavior Research Methods. vol.41, no.4, pp. 1149-1160, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- E. H. Kim, E. J. Lee, "Effects of a Death Education Program on Life Satisfaction and Attitude toward Death in College Students", Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, vol.39, no.1, pp.1-9, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.1.1
- S. Y. Park, "Development and Validation of the College Life Adjustment Instrument for Nursing Students", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dankook university, 2017
- E. I. Jeong, Y. H. Park, "Development and Validation of the College Adjustment Scale", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, vol.21, No.2, pp.69-92, 2009.
- Y. R. Cha. (2006). "A Study on the Nurses' Attitude to Death in Korea - Centering on University Hospital in Jeollabuckdo Province -". Unpublished master's thesis, WonKwang University, Iksan.
- S. M. Kim. (2017). "Factors Affecting Nursing Students' Activeness in Clinical Education". Perspectives in Nursing Science. vol.14, No.1, pp.32-36, 2017. https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.1.32
- M. H. Han. "Factors Affecting College Adaptation and Academic Achievement in Nursing Students". Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics. vol.42, no.1, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2017.42.1.36
- Y. R. Chong, Y. H..Lee, "Affecting Factors of the Awareness of Biomedical Ethics in Nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education vol.23, no.4, pp.389-397, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.389 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2017.23.4.389
- H. J. Jung, Cho Chung HI. Effect of self-esteem, emotional intelligence and social support on college adjustment in first nursing college students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2012;21(3):188-196 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188
- J. H. Park, Y. G. Lee, "Effects of Academic Stress on College Adjustment in Nursing Female Students: The Mediating Effect of Professor Trust", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol.16, no.7, pp.831-844, 2016. DOI: http://www.riss.kr/link?id=A101969481 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.11.831
- M. K. Lee, S. H. Lim, "Relationships among Academic Burnout, Stress Coping and College Adjustment in Nursing Students", Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol.7, no.6, pp.521-534, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.06.74
- I. S. Byun. "Health Locus of Control for College Students Specializing in Dancing and Research on Health Promoting Lifestyle". Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women. vol.17, no.1, pp.127-137, 2003.
- Y. J. Oh, "Predictors of College Life Adjustment among Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol.15, no.7, pp.307-317, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.307 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.307
- G. H. Ko, I. S Cho, "Attitudes towards Death and Euthanasia among Nurses and General Population", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol.15, no.3, pp.229-240, 2015. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE06236382 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.03.229
- Y. J. Lee, Y. S. Kim, "The Difference of the Death Perception, Death attitude and the Awareness of Biomedical Ethics of Nursing Students According to the Completion of Bioethics Education", Journal of the Korean Bioethics Association, vol.18, no.2, pp.95-109, 2017. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE07289268