- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy and Organizational Commitment in the Relationship between Emotional Labor, Occupational Stress and Depression in a Call Center Counselor
콜센터 상담원의 감정노동, 직무스트레스와 우울과의 관계에서 자기효능감, 조직몰입의 매개효과
- Baek, Jong-Tae (Division of Nursing, Doowon Technical University College) ;
- Lee, Hu-Yeon (Myeongseok High School)
- Received : 2018.07.13
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to clarify the mediating effects of self-efficacy and organizational commitment on the level of depression associated with emotional labor and occupational stress of call center representatives. The survey subjects were 486 representatives working in four call centers in D city. Data collection was conducted using structured, self-addressed questionnaires from January 5th to 25th, 2017. The results showed that the depression level of the representatives was significantly higher in the emotional labor and occupational stress groups and higher in the low self-efficacy and organizational commitment groups. The correlations between variables revealed a positive correlation between depression, emotional labor, and occupational stress, but a negative correlation between self-efficacy and organizational commitment. Path model analysis revealed that emotional labor and occupational stress had positive effects on depression, while self-efficacy and organizational commitment was negatively influenced. In addition, self-efficacy and organizational commitment had a mediating effect on emotional labor and depression, while organizational commitment had a mediating effect on occupational stress and depression. Therefore, to reduce the depression level of call center representatives, it is necessary to reduce the emotional labor and occupational stress factors, as well as to have a mental health mediation plan to increase self-efficacy and organizational commitment.
Call center;Depression;Emotional Labor;Occupational stress;Self-efficacy;Organizational commitment;Mediation effects
- Korea Occupation Safety & Health Agency, "Emotional Labor Status of Employment Labor Workers, Risk Factors, Health Effects Research", Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute, pp.1-319, 2015.
- S. J. Chang, H. T. Kang, S. Y. Kim, I. A. Kim, J. I. Kim, H. R. Kim, "Study on Applied Research Tools for Korean Emotional Labor Scale and Korean Workplace Violence Scale(2013)", Korea Occupation Safety & Health Agency, pp.1-128, 2014.
- A. R. Hochschild, "The managed heart: Commercialization of human feeling", Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, pp.1-327, 1983.
- H. C. Park, "A Study on the Women's Emotional Labor: in case of the department stores in Seoul", Graduate School Ewha Womans University, Master's thesis, pp.1-131, 1995.
- S. Y. Kim, S. J. Chang, H. R. Kim, J. H. R, "A Study on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Depressive Symptoms among Korean Industrial Service Employees", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.14, No.3, pp.227-235, 2002.
- S. J. Chang, S. B. Koh, D. M. Kang, S. A. Kim, M. G. Kang, C. G. Lee, et al, "Developing an Occupational Stress Scale for Korean Employees", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.17, No.4, pp.297-317, 2005.
- H. J. Kim, "Occupational Diseases Produced by Emotional Labor", Hanyang Medical Reviews, Vol.30, No.4, pp.284-289, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2010.30.4.284 https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2010.30.4.284
- A. Bandura, A, "Self efficacy in changing societies". New York: Cambridge University Press. pp.1-334, 1995.
- J. H. Kim, E. O. Park, "The Effect of Job-stress and Self-efficacy on Depression of Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.21, No.2, pp.134-144, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.2.134 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.2.134
- J. P. Meyer, N. J. Allen, "A three-component conceptualization of organization commitment", Human Resource Management Review, Vol.1, No.1, pp.61-89, 1991. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- M. S. Chung, "Mediating Effects of Job Stress and Moderating Effects of Autonomy on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Organizational Commitment", Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol.16, No.3. pp.121-138, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15703/kjc.16.3.201506.121
- World Health Organization, "Mental health/ Management/depression", [Updated July 2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/en/news-room /fact-sheets/detail/depression, [cited 2018 July 12].
- J. H. Lee, U. G. Baek, I. I. Han, S. J. Lee, "Distribution Industry Emotional Labor Studies", Seoul Labor Center, pp.1-182, 2015.
- K. O. Kim, Y. C. Cho, "The Relationships between Emotional Labour and Depressive Symptoms Among Nurses in University Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.8, pp.3794-3803, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- J. T. Baek, Y. C. Cho, "The Relationships between Emotional Labour, Depressive Symptoms and Presenteeism among Counselors in Call Centers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.6, pp.4086-4097, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4086 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4086
- S. I. Im, E. A. Cho, "Relationship between Emotional Labor, Job Stress and Eating Attitudes among Clinical Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.7, pp.4318-4328, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4318 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4318
- S. C. Youn, S. H. Kwon, H. J. Kang, "The Influence of Emotional Labor, Job Stress, and Burnout on Turnover Intention of Care Worker's at Long-Term Care Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.5, pp.428-440, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.428 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.428
- E. Y. Hong, "Factors Affecting Nurse's Health Promoting Behavior: Focusing on Self-efficacy and Emotional Labor", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.23, No.3, pp.154-162, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154
- J. H. Yang, K. H. Jeoung, "Effects of Emotional Labor, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Turnover Intention in Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.12, pp.7170-7178, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7170 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7170
- M. S. Song, "Influence of Emotional Labor on Job Involvement, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover Intention of Clinical Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.6, pp.3741-3750, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741
- H. E. Lee, "Review of Methods for Testing Mediating Effects in Recent HRD Research", The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol.16, No.2, pp.225-249, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2014.16.3.009 https://doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2014.16.3.009
- H. J. Suh, J. S. Kim, J. O. Kim, H. S. Kim, I. Y. Cho, H. S. Kim, "Effects of Emotional Labor, Depression and Self-Efficacy on Health Promotion Behavior of Taxi Driving Workers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.15, No.8, pp.489-500, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.8.489 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.489
- D. H. Chang, "Self-efficacy is an Effect Modifier on the Association Between Job-Stress and Depression Scores", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.16, No.2, pp.177-187, Nov. 2007.
- J. T. Baek, Y. C. Cho, "Structural Equation Model of the Quality of Life in the Call Center Representatives Applying the PRECEDE Model", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.19, No.7, pp.396-406, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.7.396
- E. B. Thorsteinsson, R .F. Brown, C. Richards, "The Relationship between Work-Stress, Psychological Stress and Staff Health and Work Outcomes in Office Workers", Psychology, Vol.5, No.10, pp.1301-1311, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4236/psych.2014.510141 https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2014.510141
- R. B. Kline, "Principles and practice of structural equation modeling", 3rd edition, New York London: Guilford Press, pp.1-428, 2011.
- B. Y. Bae, "Structural equation modeling with Amos 24", Cheongram Publishing Co, pp.1-506, 2017.
- C. G. Heo, "The Mediating Role of Perceived Customer-related Social Stressor on the Relation between Emotional Labor and Burnout", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.6, pp.3524-3533, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3524 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3524
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, A. G. Lang, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses", Behavior Research Methods, Vol.41, No.4, pp.1149-1160, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Y. K. Ko, "Identification of Factors related to Nurses' Individual Performance using a Multi level Analysis", Graduate School of Yonsei University, Doctoral thesis, pp.1-140, 2006.
- K. H. Cho, "Antecedents of Organizational Commitment in Korean Public Services: An Application of LISREL", The Korean Association For Public Administration, Vol.27, No.4, pp.1203-1226, 1993.
- K. K. Chon, S. C. Choi, B. C. Yang, "Integrated Adaptation of CES-D in Korea", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.6, No.1, pp.59-76, 2001.
- G. F. Templeton, "A two-step approach for transforming continuous variables to normal: Implications and recommendations for IS Research", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.28, No.4, pp.41-58, 2011.
- H. Y. Lee, E. S. Kim, M. S. Jung, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Occupational Stress on Nail Salon Workers' Depression", Journal of The Korean Society of cosmetology, Vol.22, No.5, pp.1026-1031, 2016.
- A. K. Jain, S. I. Giga, C. L. Cooper, "Stress, Health and Well-Being: The Mediating Role of Employee and Organizational Commitment", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol.10, No.10, pp.4907-4924, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10104907 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10104907
- Korea Occupation Safety & Health Agency, "Occupational Safety & Health Guideline Emotional labor worker", Occupational Safety & Occupational Health Department, pp.1-67, 2015.