- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Energy System Contribution on Isokinetic Muscle Strength in Various Sport Events Athletes
무산소, 유산소 운동종목별 엘리트선수의 등속성 근기능에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Hyeong-Tae (Center For Sports Science in Incheon, Incheon Sports Council) ;
- Kim, Ki-Hoon (Department of sports training, Ulsan College)
- Received : 2018.07.09
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to compare the muscle strength, muscle power, and H/Q ratio according to energy system contribution in athletes participating in various sports. Subjects of the study were assigned into an Anaerobic Exercise Group (AEG, n=60; Short-Distance, Weight Lifting, Jumping, Throwing, Bowling, Golf) and an Endurance Exercise Group (EEG, n=60; Modern Pentathlon, Field Hockey, Handball, Cycle, Boxing, Rowing) groups. Isokinetic peak torque/body weight% and flexor/extensor ratio at 60, 180 deg/sec of knee extension and flexion were measured using an cybex 770. Data analysis was conducted using an independent t-test and one-way ANOVA. Based on the results of this study, there was higher extension, flexion strength and flexion power in the AEG than the EEG (p<0.05). We also confirmed higher muscle strength and muscle power in short distance and jumping athletes than other athletes participating in other events (p<0.05). However, there was no significant difference within the endurance exercise group. The HS ratio was within a stable range of 50% to 60% in all events. Collectively, the outcomes of this study indicate that routine physiological and performance testing can provide measurable benefits for elite athletes and their coaches.
Energy System Contribution;Isokinetic;Muscle Strength;Muscle power;H/Q ratio
- P. Schons, G. Fischer, R. G. da Rosa, G. P. Berriel, L. A. Peyre-Tartaruga, "CORRELATIONS BETWEEN THE STRENGTH OF KNEE EXTENSOR AND FLEXOR MUSCLES AND JUMP PERFORMANCE IN VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS: A REVIEW", Journal of Physical Education, Vol.29, Article ID e2926, 2018 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4025/jphyseduc.v29i1.2926
- B. Requena, J. J. Gonzalez-Badillo, E. S. S. de Villareal, J. Ereline, I. Garcia, H. Gapeyeva, M. Paasuke, "Functional Performance, Maximal Strength, and Power Characteristics in Isometric and Dynamic Actions of Lower Extremities in Soccer Players", Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol.23, No.5, pp.1391-1401, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181a4e88e https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181a4e88e
- H. J. Hislop, J. Perrine, "The Isokinetic Concept of Exercise", Physical Therapy, Vol.47, No.1, pp.114-117, 1967. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ptj/47.1.114 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/47.2.114
- H. G. Thistle, H. J. Hislop, M. Moffroid, E. W. Lowman, "Isokinetic contraction: a new concept of resistive exercise", Arch. of Physical Med. & Rehabilitation, Vol.48, No.6, pp.279-281, 1967.
- J. M. Rosene, T. D. Fogarty, B. L. Mahaffey, "Isokinetic Hamstrings:Quadriceps Ratios in Intercollegiate Athletes", Journal of Athletic Training, Vol.36, No.4, pp.378-383, 2001.
- M. Fillyaw, T. Bevins, L. Fernandez, "Importance of Correcting Isokinetic Peak Torque for the Effect of Gravity when Calculating Knee Flexor to Extensor Muscle Ratios", Physical Therapy, Vol.66, No.1, pp.23-29, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ptj/66.1.23 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/66.1.23
- K. Perrine, "Differential aspects of conceptual processing in the category test and wisconsin card sorting test", Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, Vol.15, No.4, pp.461-473, 1993. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01688639308402571 https://doi.org/10.1080/01688639308402571
- P. Aagaard, E. B. Simonsen, M. Trolle, J. Bangsbo, K. Klausen, "Isokinetic hamstring/quadriceps strength ratio: influence from joint angular velocity, gravity correction and contraction mode", Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, Vol.154, No.4, pp.421-427, 1995. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1716.1995.tb09927.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1716.1995.tb09927.x
- R. C. Li, N. Maffulli, Y. C. Hsu, K. M. Chan, "Isokinetic strength of the quadriceps and hamstrings and functional ability of anterior cruciate deficient knees in recreational athletes", British Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol.30, No.2, pp.161-164, 1996. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.30.2.161 https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.30.2.161
- P. Aagaard, E. B. Simonsen, N. Beyer, B. Larsson, P. Magnusson, M. Kjaer, "Isokinetic Muscle Strength and Capacity for Muscular Knee Joint Stabilization in Elite Sailors", International Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol.18, No.7, pp.521-525, 1997. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-972675 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-972675
- H. Gur, B. Akova, Z. Punduk, S. Kucukoglu, "Effects of age on the reciprocal peak torque ratios during knee muscle contractions in elite soccer players", Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, Vol.9, No.2, pp.81-87, 1999. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.1999.tb00213.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.1999.tb00213.x
- Y. K. Kim, "The study on ratios of conventional and functional for isokinetic Hamstring : Quadriceps muscle strength in soccer player", Korean Journal of Sport Studies, Vol.42, No.6, pp.713-719, 2003.
- S. L. Jung, "A comparative study on isokinetic knee strength between competition athletes and demonstration team players in taekwondo", Master's thesis of Kyunghee university graduate school, 2006.
- P. B. Gastin, "Energy System Interaction and Relative Contribution During Maximal Exercise", Sports Medicine, Vol.31, No.10, pp.725-741, 2001. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200131100-00003 https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200131100-00003
- S. A. Sharp, B. J. Brouwer, "Isokinetic strength training of the hemiparetic knee: effects on function and spasticity", Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.78, No.11, pp.1231-1236, 1997. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90337-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90337-3
- T. W. Nesser, W. L. Lee, "THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CORE STRENGTH AND PERFORMANCE IN DIVISION I FEMALE SOCCER PLAYERS", Journal of Exercise Physiology Online, Vol.12, No.2, pp.21-28, 2009.
- I. Garthe, T. Raastad, P. E. Refsnes, A. Koivisto, J. Sundgot-Borgen, "Effect of Two Different Weight-Loss Rates on Body Composition and Strength and Power-Related Performance in Elite Athletes", International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, Vol.21, No.2, pp.97-104, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1123/ijsnem.21.2.97 https://doi.org/10.1123/ijsnem.21.2.97
- D. Y. Kim, S. W. Yoon, "Comparison the Isokinetic Exercise Test of Various Sport Events Athletes", Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol.16, No.3, pp.1-14, 2005.
- F. M. Iaia, J. Bangsbo, "Speed endurance training is a powerful stimulus for physiological adaptations and performance improvements of athletes", Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, Vol.20, No.s2, pp.11-23, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01193.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01193.x
- A. Thorstensson, B. Sjodin, P. Tesch, J. Karlsson, "Actomyosin ATPase, Myokinase, CPK and LDH in Human Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibres", Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, Vol.99, No.2, pp.225-229, 1977. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1716.1977.tb10373.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1716.1977.tb10373.x
- P. Kannus, "Ratio of Hamstring to Quadriceps Femoris Muscles' Strength in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Insufficient Knee: Relationship to Long-term Recovery", Physical Therapy, Vol.68, No.6, pp.961-965, 1988. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ptj/68.6.961 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/68.6.961
- T. O. Clanton, K. J. Coupe, "Hamstring Strains in Athletes: Diagnosis and Treatment", Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Vol.6, No.4, pp.237-248, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5435/00124635-199807000-00005 https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-199807000-00005
- L. O. Dunnam, G. R. Hunter, B. P. Williams, C. J. Dremsa, "BRIDGING THE GAP-RESEARCH: Comprehensive evaluation of the University of Alabama at Birmingham women's volleyball training program", Strength & Conditioning Journal, Vol.10, No.1, pp.43-53, 1988.