- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Visit to Dementia Home Experience Program on the Awareness of Dementia
치매 가정체험프로그램 관람이 치매 인식에 미치는 효과
- Park, So Yeon (Department of Occupational Therapy, Cheongju University) ;
- Kim, Deok Ju (Department of Occupational Therapy, Cheongju University)
- Received : 2018.07.13
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
The purpose of this study is to find that people's visit to a dementia home exhibition hall is effective at improving their perception of dementia. The satisfaction of visitors to the dementia home exhibition hall and a change in their perception of dementia after the visit were analyzed. The study subjects were 52 residents in S city. This study had been conducted from April, 5 to May, 25, 2018. The dementia home exhibition hall has welfare kits installed in an entrance, a rest room, a living, and a kitchen. Virtual reality experience program and the program of wearing clothes to experience an elderly person were performed together. As a result, the visitors' satisfaction was high overall, and their visit was educationally effective at improving their perception of dementia. After their visit to the hall, the residents showed high increases in the scores of the questions about the perception of dementia causes, dynamism & system, symptoms & diagnosis, and treatment & prevention. The residents with middle years and higher of age were more satisfied than those in other age groups with the introduction of dementia, and prevention methods, introduction of safe and comfortable home environment, and appropriateness of experience program. In this study, it was positive that the differentiated experience program which was not existed actively led the participation of the target person and attracted high education satisfaction in a short time. In the future, it will be necessary to develop an extended experience program, provide an environment for direct experience of dementia, and perform a continuous program to draw more citizens' attention.
Dementia;Home Experience Program;Awareness;Satisfaction;Environment
- Statistics Korea. Elderly statistics, 2014.
- Y. S. Han, A study on the welfare service improvement of the old with dementia, Master's Thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2011.
- J. D. Kwon, Dementia and family welfare, Seoul: Hakjisa, 2012.
- J. S. Jang, S. K. Kim, "A study on the difference of memory by the types of dementia and utility of CERADK to vascular dementia patients", Journal of Society of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia, Vol.12, No.1, pp.31-38, 2011.
- Y. Lee, M. Park, "Factors Influencing Caregiving Satisfaction among Family Caregivers of Patients with Dementia", Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, Vol.18, No.3, pp.117-127, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2016.18.3.117 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2016.18.3.117
- A. Feast, E. Moniz-Cook, C. Stoner, G. Charlesworth, M. Orrell, "A systematic review of the relationship between behavioral and psychological symptoms (BPSD) and caregiver well-being", International Psychogeriatrics, Vol.28, No.11, pp.1761-1774, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1041610216000922 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610216000922
- H. S. Joo, Research on social problems with dementia and solutions for improvement: Concentrating on public understanding of dementia, Master's Thesis, Public Administration, University, Incheon, 2004.
- H. Brodaty, M. Donkin, "Family caregivers of people with dementia", Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, Vol.11, No.2, pp.211-217, 2009.
- N. Mace, P. Rabins, The 36-hourday, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1981.
- J. S. Kim, Study on the welfare for the aged in Korean aging society: Focused on the old stricken demential old people, Master's Thesis, Myongji University, Seoul, 2003.
- M. K. Choi, A study on the welfare policy of dotard in the aging society, Master's Thesis, Hoseo University, Chungnam, 2014.
- S. H. Lee. Study on family caregiving burden level and pattern of care of dementia patients, Doctoral Thesis, Chungnam University, Chungnam, 2014.
- Y. H. Lee, Y. S. Lee, "A Study on the Evaluation and Improvement of Housing Environment for Korean Families with Demented Elderly", Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea : Planning & Design, Vol.20, No.10, pp.129-140, 2004. UCI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-A00167.2004.20.10.001
- D. Y. An, K. D. Seo, I. K. Choi, "A Study on the Usage Behavior of Elderly Welfare Facilities for the Elderly with Moderate Dementia: Focusing on Satisfaction with Memory School Users", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol.8, No.11, pp.353-361, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.353 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.353
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012 Survey on The Prevalence of Dementia, 2012.
- C. D. Lee, M. Y. Jeong, J. N. Kim, Y. J. Lee, "Effects of Client-Centered Home Modification and Caregiver Education on Activity Performance and Satisfaction of Persons With Mild Dementia: A Case Study", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol.24, No.1, pp.75-88, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2016.24.1.07
- C. G. Kim, Y. H. Kim, "Nurses' Experiences of Caring with Demented Oder Persons", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.24, No.5, pp.454-465, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.454 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.454
- E. S. Kong, M. S. Choi, "Study on nursing students' experience of caring older patients with dementia", Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, Vol.23, pp.9-36, 2014.
- Y. D. Choi, The effects of experience factors (4Es) of the farming village experience program on the visiting values and the intention of action, Master's Thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul, 2013.
- M. H. Yong, Y. A. Yang, E. J. Kim, "A study on the knowledge of families with demented elderly persons for dementia", Journal of Korea Aging Friendly Industry Association, Vol.2, No.2, pp.41-50, 2010.
- S. A. Lee, The effect of dementia family education program for dementia recognition, burden and depression in dementia caregivers, Master's Thesis, Kyungbuk University, Daegu, 2014.