- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Relationship of Communication Skill, Depression, and Clinical Practice Stress of Nursing Students
간호대학생의 의사소통능력, 우울 및 임상실습 스트레스와의 관계
- Park, Jung-Suk (College of Nursing, Kosin University) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hyeon (College of Nursing, International University of Korea)
- Received : 2019.07.13
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between depression and communication skills and clinical practice stress among college nursing students. This study targeted 208 nursing college seniors in B city who have experience in clinical practice. Data were collected from September 1-30 2017 and were analyzed using descriptive analyses, t-tests, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and Stepwise multiple regression with the SPSS WIN 21.0 program. The average score of communication skills was 3.73, the score of depression was 2.36, and the score of clinical practice stress was 2.88. Significant differences were found in clinical practice stress depending on gender (p=0.002), age (p=0.048), grade (p=0.001), satisfaction with college life (p<0.001), satisfaction with major (p=0.002), desired course (p=0.002), and satisfaction with clinical practice (p<0.001). Clinical practice stress was negatively related to communication skills (r=-0.17, p=0.016) and positively related to depression (r=0.37, p<0.001). Depression, satisfaction with clinical practice, grade, sex and religion had a high explanation rate of 26.9%, indicating that they were meaningful variables that influenced clinical practice stress. Overall, to decrease clinical practice stress among nursing students, it is necessary to develop an intervention program that can prevent and mitigate depression and improve communication skills.
Communication skills;Depression;Clinical practice stress;Nursing;students
Supported by : 고신대학교
- V. Venkatesh, M. G. Morris, G. B. Davis, F. D. Davis, "User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View", MIS Quarterly, Vol.27, No.3, pp.425-478, 2003. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2307/30036540 https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540
- J. S. Yoo, Y. J. Jang, E. K. Choi, & J. W. Park, "Development of a Stress Scale for Korean Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.38, No.3, pp.410-419, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.650 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410
- N. H. Cha, "The Relationships between Stress and Health Locus of Control in Nursing College Students", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol.19, No.2, pp.177-185, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.177 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.177
- N. Y. Yang, S. Y. Moon, "Relationship of Self-leadership, Stress and Satisfaction in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.17, No.2, pp.216-225, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.216 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.216
- A. K. Lee, J. Y. Yeo, S. W. Jung, S. S. Byun, "Relations on Communication Competence, Job-stress and Job-satisfaction of Clinical Nurse", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.12, pp.299-308, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.299 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.299
- S. J. Whang, "The Relationship between Clinical Stress, Self -Efficacy, and Self -Esteem of Nursing College Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.12, No.2, pp.205-213, 2006.
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, "Stress, Depression, Coping Styles and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.16, No.1, pp.14-23, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- M. H. Han, G. H. Lee, "A comparison of dispositional and situational measures of interpersonal communication competence", estern journal of speech communication, Vol.23, No.1, pp.16-26, 2017.
- W. R. Cupach, B. H. Spitzberg "Trait versus state: A comparison of dispositional and situational measures of interpersonal communication competence", Western Journal of Speech Communication, Vol.47, No.4, pp.364-379. 1983. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10570318309374131 https://doi.org/10.1080/10570318309374131
- J. W. Park, M. S. Choi, "Effects of Communication Ability Enhancement Program for Nursing Students in Korea: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.3, pp.351-360, 2009.
- I. Y. Cho, "The Relationship of Communication Skill, Communication Self-Efficacy and Communication Related Educational Needs", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.4, pp.2593-2601, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2593 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2593
- S. H. Yang, "A study on the relationship between self-concept and the mental health of nursing students in junior college in some area", J. Korean Acad. Psych. Mental Health Nurs, Vol.10, pp.379-390, 2001.
- Y. H. Kim, K. J. Lee, S. J. Yu, et al, "Psychiatric nursing", Sumunsa, Seoul 2001.
- S. H. Jeong, S. H. Park, "Relationship among Stress, Depression, and Satisfaction to Clinical Practice among Nursing Students", The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.47-54, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.47 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.47
- S. Y. Kim, S. Y. Lim, H. M. Choi, "The Relationship among Stress in Clinical Practice, Depression and Self-Esteem in Nursing College Students", The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol.1, No.4, pp.59-64, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.4.59 https://doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.4.59
- S. Y. Yang, "The Effect of Self-esteem and Communication Competence on Clinical Practice Stress of the Nursing Students", Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No.9, pp.286-296, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.286 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.286
- S. J. Shin, M. S. Jung, "The Relationship between Communication Skill, Stress Coping, and Clinical Practice Stress in Nursing Students" Journal of Humanities and Social science, Vol.7, No.5, pp.441-455, 2016.
- B. G. Tabachnick, L. S. Fidell, "Using multivariate statistics", 5th. Needham Height, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 2007.
- R. B. Rubin, P. Palmgreen and Sypher H. E "Communication research measures: a sourcebooK." NY: Guilford Press. 1994.
- G. H. Hur, "Construction and Validation of a Global Interpersonal Communication Competence Scale", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.47, No.6, pp.380-408, 2008.
- K. K. Chon, M. K. Lee. "Preliminary Development of Korean Version of CES-D Korean", Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.11, No.1, pp.65-76. 1992.
- D. L. Beck, R. Srivastsva, "Perceived level and sources of stress in baccalaurete nursing students", Journal of Nursing. Education, Vol.30, pp.127-133. 1991.
- S. L. Kim, J. E. Lee, "Relationship among stress coping strategies and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.1, No.4, pp.98-106, 2005.
- E. J. Jo, K. M. Lim, "Influence of Clinical practice stress and Communication skills on Ego-resilience of Nursing student" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.6, pp.618-628, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.618
- S. H. Sin, "The effect of Academic stress and the moderating effects of Academic resilience on nursing students' Depression", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.22, No.1, pp.14-24, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.14 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.14
- H, I. Lee, "Self-esteem, Interpersonal relationship and depression in nursing students", The Korean journal of stress research, Vol.18, No.2, pp.109-118, 2010.
- Y. J. Tung, K. K. H. Lo, R. C. M. Ho, W. S. W. Tam, "Prevalence of depression among nursing students: A systematic review and meta-analysis" Nurse Education Today, Vol.63, pp.119-129, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.009
- Y, J. Kim, I, J. Jeong, "Influence of clinical practice stress, self-esteem and communication skills on clinical practice competency of nursing", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol.12, No.3, pp.297-308, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2018.4.12.3.297
- H. J. Park, J. W. Oh, "The relationships of the clinical practice stress and the major satisfaction with the nursing professionalism of nursing college students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.12, pp.417-426, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417
- M. A. Kang, S, K. Lee, "The Relationship of Communication Competence, Professional Self-Concept and Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.22, No.4, pp.452-461, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.452 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.452
- Y. K. Yang, K. S. Han, M. H. Bae, S. H. Yang, "Social Support, Academic stress, clinical practice stress in college student of nursing", The Korean journal of stress research, Vol.22, No.1, pp.23-33, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.1.23
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.6, pp.2749-2759, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- S, Y. Kim, S. Y. Lim, H. M. Choi, "The relationship among stress in clinical practice, depression and self-esteem in nursing college students", The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol.1, No.4, pp.59-64, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.4.59 https://doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.4.59