- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Horticulture Activity Caring Program on Stress, Depression, Blood Glucose, Lipids for Major Company White-Collar Workers.: A Randomized Controlled Trial
대기업 사무직 근로자에게 적용한 원예활동 프로그램이 스트레스, 우울, 혈당, 혈중 지질 등에 미치는 효과: 무작위 대조군 연구
- Cha, Hyun-su (Division of Nursing, Sehan University) ;
- Lee, Sook (Division of Nursing, College of Nursing, Dankook University)
- Received : 2018.06.29
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study was performed to determine the effects on psychological and physiological variables of Horticulture Activity Caring Program for major company white-collar workers. Fifty three White-collar Workers participated in study. They were assigned to two groups (experimental group and control group) in random order. Random order is used Excel 2010 program RAND function of Microsoft. During the eight-week trial, the experimental group was treated with Horticulture Activity Caring Program weekly for 90 minute per session. The control group wasn't treated. Measurements of variables (stress, depression, blood glucose, total cholesterol, HDL-C, and LDL-C) were performed at weeks 0 and 8 for all participant. Changes in variables were calculated from baseline to trial completion. The data were collected from July to September 2014. SPSS 21.0 was used for the statistical analysis. : Horticulture Activity Caring Program had positive effects on depression (z=-4.57, p< .000). Conclusion of the study suggest the Horticulture Activity Caring Program may have positive effects on improving depression. We expect that the Horticulture Activity Caring Program will become a complementary and alternative therapy of mental health promotion for the white collar workers.
Horticulture Activity;white-collar worker;stress;depression;blood glucose;lipids
- OECD. Average annual hours actually worked per worker[Internet]. France: OECD Stat. 2018 [cited 2018 April 26]. Available from: http://stats.oecd.org
- K. I. Lee, C. Suh, J. E. Kim, J. O. Park, "The impact of long working hours on psychosocial stress response among white-collar workers", Industrial Health, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 46-53, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.2015-0173 https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.2015-0173
- N. S. Song, 65.8% of Office worker has diseased from stress[Internet]. Seoul: International happiness laugh center. 2009 [cited 2009 November 21]. Available from: DOI: http://cafe.daum.net/kimhseong88/FIC5/25
- H. J. Lee, "Overwork-related mental illnesses, suicide and occupational accidents", Korean Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 133-156, 2011.
- R. S. Ulrich, "Natural Versus Urban Scenes:Some Psychophysiological Effects", Environment and Behavior, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 523-526, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0013916581135001 https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916581135001
- Y. H. Kwon, M. O. Song, C. N. Kim, "Effects of Horticulture Therapy on Depression and Stress in Patient of Hospice Unit", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 4394-4402, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4394 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4394
- H. Y. Kim, S. Y. Yoon, "Effect of horticultural therapy on the improvement of memory and emotional stability of demented old adults", The Korean Flower Research Society, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 61-65, 2003.
- S. Y. Yun, B. J. Choi, "Effect of horticultural therapy on the stress and serum cortisol of demented elders", Korean Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 891-894, 2010.
- S. H. Park, M. R. Hur, "Effects of horticultural program on the preschool children's emotional intelligence and daily stress", Korean Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 144-149, 2010
- K. C. Son, S. Y. Kim, S. J. Um, J. E. Song K. Y. Paek, "Effect of horticultural therapy on the physical and psychological improvement of psychosomatic disorder persons", Korean Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, vol. 18, pp. 740-745, 2000.
- H. J. Lee, C. Y. Ahn, W. K. Sim, "Comparison of melancholia between schizophrenia patient and people through horticultural therapy", Journal of People Plant Environment, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 25-30, 2000.
- J. S. Han, G. S. Lee, "Effects of the Horticultural Therapy on Quality of Life and Depression in the Institutionalized Elderly", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 609-620, 2002.
- H. J. Hwang, Y. A. Lee, J. E. Song, K. C. Son, "Effect of horticultural therapy based upon reality therapy of the reduction of depression and the change in stress coping types of elementary student's mother", Korean Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 268-276, 2007.
- S. Lee, A. K. Lee, "Analysis of relationships between job stress and preference of horticulture activities of clerical workers", Flower Research Journal, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 42-48, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11623/frj.2016.24.1.6 https://doi.org/10.11623/frj.2016.24.1.6
- D. M. Oh, E. J. Jang, I. S. So, Y. H. Lee, M. R. Huh, Y. A. Choi, B. G. Heo, "Present trends and proposal of published paper in journals on horticultural therapy in Korea", Korean Journal of Horticultual Science & Technolog, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 117-121, 2006.
- J. G. Suh, "Therapeutic effect of horticultual life", Korean Society for Horticultual Science, vol. 1, pp. 147-164, 2003.
- D. Relf, "Human issues in horticulture", Hort Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 159-171, 1992.
- S. Kim. Interpersonal caring. Soomoonsa, 2012.
- K. M. Yang, H. J. Park, "The effect of horticultural activities program on emotional intelligence and stress coping in nursing college student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 267-276, 2018. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2.267
- G. Melard, "On the accuracy of statistical procedures in Microsoft Excel 2010", Computational Statistics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1095-1128, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00180-014-0482-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00180-014-0482-5
- S. H. Yoon, "Study on clinical nurses performance and satisfaction of using communication skills by interpersonal caring technique" master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2004.
- M. R. Lynn, "Determination and quantification of content validity", Nursing Research. vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 382-385, 1986.
- S. Lee. Interpersonal caring horticultural therapy program for stress management of office workers. p.1-100, Dankook University and National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Cheonan, 2016.
- S. Kim, "International conference on interpersonal relationships in community-based mental health nursing: Application of interpersonal relationships in Korean community-based mental health nursing Susie Kim", Research Institute of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University, vol. 1, pp. 61-78, 1997.
- K. B. Koh, J. K. Park, C. H. Kim. "Development of the perceived stress response inventory", Korean Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 26-41, 1999.
- M. J. Cho, K. H. Kim, "Diagnostic validity of the CES-D(korean version) in the assessment of DSM-III-R major depression", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 381-399, 1993.
- Doopedia. blood sugar [Internet]. Korea: Dushan encyclopedia; 2018 [cited 2018 May 24]. Available from: http://www.doopedia.co.kr./doopedia/master/master .do?_method=view&MAS_IDX=101013000868244
- J. B. Rhie, Y. M. Chae, S. Lee, "Effects of horticulture activity program on heart rate variability of white-collar workers", Horticultural Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 820-830, 2017. https://doi.org/10.7235/HORT.20170085
- M. Soga, K. J. Gaston, Y. Yamaur, "Gardening is beneficial for health: A meta-analysis", Preventive Medicine Reports, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 92-99, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/i.pmedr.2016.11.007
- S. W. Choi, E. J. Jekal, C. I. Ahn, "Depression and baseline prefrontal EEG Alpha Wave asymmetry", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1053-1069, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2008.27.4.016 https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2008.27.4.016