- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Middle School Student's Academic Motivation from on Ecological Perspectives
생태학적 변인이 중학교 2학년 학생의 학업 동기에 미치는 영향
- Moon, Hyuk-Jun (Department of Child Studies, Catholic University)
- 문혁준 (가톨릭대학교 아동학과)
- Received : 2018.07.16
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study investigated the ecological factors influencing second-year middle school students' academic motivation. A total of 371 students were surveyed for this study and data were analyzed for descriptive statistics using SPSS Win 21.0. The results of this study revealed that female students showed higher academic motivation than male students. However, school life satisfaction was strong for both male and female students. Finally, the introduction of parent education programs that target children to improve learners' self-identity and parent-child or teacher-student communication programs are necessary to enhance academic motivation.
Academic Motivation;Self-resilience;Family Strength;Sschool Life Satisfaction;Middle School Student
Supported by : 가톨릭대학교
- H. K. Cho, J. C. Kim, "A Preliminary Study on the Development of the Eighth Grade Syndrome Scale(EGSS)", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.24, No.4, pp.281-309, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.04.24.4.281
- M. R. Lee, "Daily Life Activity Experiences and their Relations to Stress in Early Adolescence", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol.40, No.1, pp.69-84, 2002.
- M. S. Kim, "The Subjective Well-being of Korean Children and Its Policy Implications", Health and Welfare Policy Forum, Vol.220, pp.14-26, 2015.
- E. S. Mun, C. H. Kim, "The Relationships Between Parents' Perceptions of Parental Involvement and the Academic Motivation and Achievement of Elementary and Middle School Students", Korean Educational Psychology Association, Vol.17, No.2, pp.271-288, 2003.
- D. H. Ahn, J. A. Kim, S. Y. Hwang, "Perceived Competence, Family Processes, School Climate and Academic Achievement: An Examination of Elementary, Junior-High, and High School Students", Korean Educational Psychology Association, Vol.19, No.4, pp.1199-1217, 2005.
- A. E. Woolfolk, Educational Psychology(7th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1998.
- J. E. Brophy, Motivating Students to Learn(2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2004.
- E. J. Lee, "The Relations of Motivation and Cognitive Strategies to Flow Experience", Korean Educational Psychology Association, Vol.15, No.3, pp.199-216, 2001.
- J. H. Block, J. Block, "The Role of Ego-control and Ego-resiliency in the Organization of Behavior. In W. A. Collins(Ed.)", Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology, Vol.13, pp.39-101. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1980.
- L, P. Hernandez, "The Role of Protective Factors in the School Resilience of Mexican American High School Students" Doctoral Dissertation, Stanford University, 1993.
- M. H. Jung, "The Relationship among of Parent's Child-rearing Attitudes, Ego-resiliency, and Conflict Resolution Strategies in Children's Friendship", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, 2003.
- M. S. Koh, "Relations of Ego-Resiliency, Decision Making Style, and Attributional Style.-With Attachment and Life Stress", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Sungshin Women's University, 2002.
- Y. J. Yun, M. S. Lee, "The Influence of Family Health on the Self-esteem and Pro-social Behavior of Children", J. of Korean Home Management Association, Vol.25, No.2, pp.105-122, 2007.
- G. S. Yoo, "A Survey on the Elements of Strong Families-Focusing on Family Systems and Family Strengths", Journal of Family Relations, Vol.9, No.2, pp.25-42, 2004.
- S. M. Yang, "A Study on the Relative Happiness through Gen der in Rural Couples and the Effect of Family Healthiness", Journal of Family Relations, Vol.9, No.2, pp.153-172, 2004.
- M. J. Park, K. A. Hwang, "An Impact of Perceived Family Strength on Adolescent's School Adjustment", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.10, No.2, pp.43-51, 2007.
- Y. J. Nam, T. Y. Park, "The Mediating Effect of Self-esteem in the Relation between Adolescent's Family Strengths and School Adaptation", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.16, No.4, pp.47-71, 2009.
- K. H. Kim, "Process Analysis of Poverty Influences on Academic Attainment of Children", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.58, No.4, pp.265-289, 2006.
- P. E. Davis-Kean, "The Influence of Parent Education and Family Income on Child Achievement: The Indirect Role of Parental Expectations and the Home Environment", Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.19 No.2, pp.294-304, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0893-3220.127.116.114 https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-318.104.22.1684
- S. Y. Choo, S. M. Lim, "The Relationship between Family Structure and High School Students' Academic Achievements: The Mediating Effects of Parental Income and Parental Involvement, and the Moderating Effect of Student's Procrastination", Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.21, No.3, pp.497-512, 2007.
- K. S. Kim, "The Effects of Teacher Expectation and its Change on Students' Achievement", Secondary Education Research, Vol.54, No.2, pp.95-121, 2006.
- H. Jeon, H. D. Cho, H. J. Cho, "The Mediation Effect of Socio-psychological Environment Relationship on Self-Regulated Learning and Academic Achievement: Focusing on a Longitudinal study", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.17, No.5, pp.171-192, 2010.
- M. K. Choi, H. S. Doh, "The In-depth Interview of Victims Who Has Experienced Peer Victimization", Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol.19, No.2, pp.31-46, 2001.
- M. H. Yang, "The Study on the Development and Validation of Self-regulated Learning Model", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University, 2000.
- C. Midgley, A. Kaplan, M. Middleton, M. L. Maehr, T. Urdan, L. H. Anderman, E. Anderman, R. Roeser, "The Development and Validation of Scales Assessing Students' Achievement Goal Orientations", Contemporary Educational Psychology, Vol.23, No.2, pp.113-131, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1998.0965 https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1998.0965
- A. Kaplan, M. L. Maehr, "Achievement Goals and Student Well-Being", Contemporary Educational Psychology, Vol.24, No.4, pp.330-358, 1999. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.0993 https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.0993
- E. S. Moon, "Structural Analysis of the Social and Psychological Variables related to Adolescents' School Adjustment Behaviors", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Chungnam National University, 2002.
- O. Atsushi, N. Hitoshi, N. Shinji, K. Motoyuki, "Development and Validation of an Adolescent Resilience Scale", Japanese Journal of Counseling Science, Vol.35, pp.57-65, 2002.
- D. I. Min, "The Effects of Family Strengths, School Life Health and Ego-Resilience on Mental Health of Adolescents", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Inha National University, 2007.
- E. J. Eo, Y. J. Yoo, "A Study on Development of the Scale for Measuring Family Strengths", Korean Home Management Association, Vol.13, No.1, pp.145-156, 1995.
- J. Y. Kim, "A Study on the Development and Validation of the School Life Satisfaction Scale for High School Students", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Wonkwang National University, 2007.
- H. I. Jo, N. Y. Lee, "A Study on the Relationship between Academic Achievement and Ego-resiliency: Focusing on Mediating Effects of Self-determination Motivation", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.17, No.6, pp.1-20, 2010.
- J. E. V. Lloyd, J. Walsh, M. S. Yailagh, "Sex Differences in Performance Attributions, Self-efficacy, and Achievement in Mathematics: If I'm so Smart, Why Don't I Know It?", Canadian Journal of Education, Vol.28, No.3, pp.384-408, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2307/4126476 https://doi.org/10.2307/4126476
- D. L. Duboris, S. K. Eitel, R. D. Felner, "Effects of Family Environment and Parent-Child Relationships on School Adjustment during the Transition to Early Adolescence", Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol.56, pp.405-414, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/353108
- S. A. Small, T. Luster, "Adolescent Sexual Activity: An Ecological Risk-factor Approach", Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol.56, No.1, pp.181-192, 1994. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2307/352712 https://doi.org/10.2307/352712
- W. Y. Shin, H. A. Kang, "The Effects of Poor Adolescents' Social Capital on the Academic Achievement", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.15, No.4, pp.57-87, 2008.
- J. H. Kim, "The Relationship Between Family Strengths, School Life Health and Stress in the Middle School Students", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol.15, No.3, pp, 129-148, 2013.
- J. H. Moon, J. S. Baik, "A Comparative Study of the Influence of Relationship with Parents, Peer and Teacher on Academic Self-efficacy and Achievement Motivation in Early and Middle Adolescence", Journal of the Korea Institute of Youth Facility and Environment, Vol.10, No.3, pp.39-50, 2012.
- J. K. Kim, "A Study on the Influences of Self-efficacy, Motivation and Social Support on Self-esteem", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Hongik University, 2005.
- A. Y. Kim, J. E. Cha, "Multi-level Analysis of the Effects of Teacher-efficacy and Students' Academic Self-efficacy on Academic Achievement", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, pp.25-43, 2003.
- A. Assor, H. Kaplan, G. Roth, "Choice is good, but relevance is excellent: Autonomy-enhancing and suppressing teacher behaviours predicting students' engagement in schoolwork", British Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.72, No.2, pp.261-278, 2002. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1348/000709902158883 https://doi.org/10.1348/000709902158883
- S. G. Rivkin, E. A. Hanushek, J. F. Kain, "Teachers, Schools, and Academic Achievement", Econometrica, Vol.73, No.2, pp.417-458, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00584.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00584.x