- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effectiveness of Teacher's Leadership, Class Climate and Friendship on Academic Attitudes in the Elementary School Students
초등학생들이 지각하는 교사의 지도성 유형, 학급풍토, 교우관계가 학업태도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jayoung (Department of Counseling Psychology, Hanyang Cyber University) ;
- Jung, Eun-Sun (Division of Teaching Profession, Halla University) ;
- Seo, Mi (Korea Youth Counseling & Welfare Institute)
- Received : 2018.07.04
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of a teacher's leadership (initiating and consideration), class climate, and friendship on academic attitudes. In order to accomplish this, 1,533 elementary school students were recruited. Descriptive statistics and path analysis were employed to examine relationships. The major findings of this study are as follows. First, there were positive correlations between academic attitudes and the teacher's leadership, class climate, and friendship. Second, results of path analysis illustrated that a teacher's leadership consideration indicator had a direct impact on class climate, friendship, and academic attitudes. Furthermore, the teacher's leadership consideration indirectly affected academic attitudes through mediation of class climate and friendship. However, the teacher's leadership initiating indicator did not have a direct impact on class climate, friendship, and academic attitude. The indices of the best fit model for these variables were adequate (GFI, NFI, CFI > 0.90). This study shows that the teacher's leadership consideration is the significant predictor for elementary school students' class climate, friendship, and academic attitudes. Finally, the meaning and limitations of this research, and its implications on academic assistance and intervention, are discussed in detail.
teacher's leadership_initiating;teacher's leadership_consideration;class climate;friendship;academic attitude
- Y. S. Park, U. C. Kim. "The Influence of Parent-Child Relationship on Achievement Motivation, and Academic Achievement among Korean Adolescents: Indigenous Psychological Analysis", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10(1): 139-165. 2003.
- J. H. Shin, S. J. Jin, Y. J. Kim. "The Influence of Perceived Parental Academic Support, Achievement Expectation and Daily Control on Children's Self-Determination Motivation According to Their Academic Achievement Level", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 24(1): 121-137. 2010.
- E. M. Lim. Relationships between Academic Motivation, Parental Behavior, and Academic Achievement, Doctoral Dissertation. Seoul National University. 1998.
- B. S. Jung. "The Longitudinal Effects of Parent, Teacher, and Peer Support on Academic Achievement by Korean Young Adolescents", Studies on Korean Youth, 23(2): 131-159. 2012.
- U., Bronfenbrenner, A. C. Crouter, "The Evolution of Environmental Models in Developmental Research." In P. H. Mussen (Ed.), Handbook of Child Psychology: Vol. 1. History, theory, and methods(pp. 357-414). NY: Wiley. 1983.
- J. C. Ko, S. G. Kim, "The Study on Elementary School Students' Perceived Characteristics of Effective Teachers", Korean Journal of Elementary Education, Vol.24, No.3, pp.207-228, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.20972/kjee.24.3.201309.207 https://doi.org/10.20972/kjee.24.3.201309.207
- H. J. Joo, T. Y. Kim, J. Y. Nam, "A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Teacher's Leadership and School Effectiveness" The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 29(1): 119-141. 2012. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2012.29.1.119
- J. Kim. Role of Classroom Cimate in the Relations between Homeroom Teacher's Goal Orientations and Elementary School Students' Academic Engagement. Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Education. Chungnam University. 2014.
- B. D. Choi. Analysis of the Relationship between the Classroom Teacher's Leadership Style and the Classroom Climate Perceived by Secondary School Students Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education. Kyungsang National University. 2007.
- H. C. Han. A Study on the Relationship between Class Teacher's Leadership Style and Classroom Climate. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education. Kyungsang National University. 2006.
- E. Y. Kim. A Study on the Relationship between the Classroom Teachers' Leadership Patterns and the Climate of the Classroom in Elementary School. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education. Dongkuk University. 2005.
- S. M. Park. The Relationship between Homeroom Leadership Type and the Climate of the Class Perceived by Elementary School Students. Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Education. Gonju National University of Education. 2010.
- G. C. Armsden, M. T. Greenberg, "The Inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment: Individual Differences and Their Relationship to Psychological Well-being in Adolescence", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol.16, No.5, pp.427-454. 1987. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939
- E. K. Lee. A Relationship between Elementary School Teacher's Leadership Style and Classroom Culture Patterns Perceived by Students, Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education of Incheon National University of Education. 2002.
- K. S. Kim. "The Trend of the Classrooms Climate Research in Korea" Korean Journal of Sociology of Education 9(2): 1-30. 1999.
- J. H. Mun. The Influence of Classroom Climate Perceived by Elementary School Students on Peer Status and Friendship, Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Education of Chonnam National University. 2004.
- D. S. Park. Differences in Upper-Grade Elementary School Children's Peer Relation, Conflict Resolution Style, Bullying-Behavior and Victimization by Perceived Classroom Climate, Mater's Thesis, Graduate School of Education of Keimyung University. 2007.
- K. H. Chung, K. S. Kim, B. C. Kim., T. E. Kim. A study on the Characteristics of the Leadership of teachers in Korea. Korean Educational Development Institute. RR2008-06. 2008.
- Y. S. Ryu. "Development of Strategies & Policy Tasks for Teacher Leadership", The Journal of Educational Administration, 27(1): 281-301. 2009.
- Y. T. Kim. A Study on the Conceptual Framework of the Teacher Leadership, Doctoral Dissertation. Graduate School of Busan National University. 1998.
- H. K. Park. "An Analysis on the Development and Implementation of Teacher's Leadership Training Program", The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 22(3): 47-73. 2005.
- A. W. Halpin, & B. J. Winer, "A Factorial Study of the Leader Behavior Descriptions." in Ralph M. Stogdill and Alvin E. Coons, Leader Behavior: Its Description and Measurement, Columbus: Bureau of Business Research, OSU. 1957.
- A. Harris, "Effective Leadership in Schools Facing Challenging Contexts" paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the AERA. New Orleans, April 2002.
- S. R. Kwak, "Analysis of Causal Relationship between Process Variables of Effective Schools and Their Students", Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, 13(1): 1-21. 2003.
- E. H. Lee. "The Relationships between Class Room Teachers' Empowering Leadership Practices, and Academic Achievement and Problem Behaviors in Adolescents: The Mediating Effects of Classroom Climate, Problem-Solving Skills, and Intrinsic Academic Motivation", Studies on Korean Youth, 19(2): 141-172. 2008.
- B. S. Kim. "School Effect Theory: Research Method Practice Module", Hakjisa: Seoul. 2004.
- W. K. Hoy, C. G. Miskel, "Educational Administration: Theory, Research and Practice" NY: McGraw-Hill. 1996.
- S. J. Lee, "Analysis of the Structural Equation Model on the Student's Trust in Teachers and the Self-Esteem, Academic Motivation, Academic Achievement, and Class Climate." The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 23(4) 207-227. 2010.
- E. L. Chi, S. S. Kim, "Comparing Elementary and Junior High School Students' Perception of the Relationship between Teachers and Students" Journal of Educational Development, 20(2): 83-101. 2004.
- C. Furrer, E. Skinner, "Sense of Relatedness as a Factor in Children's Academic Engagement and Performance", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.95, No.1, pp.148-162, 2003. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.168
- B. S. Park, S. W. Bae. "The Effects of Interpersonal Relationships and Academic Achievement on the Subjective Well-Being among School Adolescents- Comparison of Gender and School Types", Journal of Youth Welfare, 14(3): 215-238. 2012.
- H. J. Park. School Effect Analysis: Academic Achievement, Career Maturity, and Delinquency, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Kyungpook National University. 2009.
- H. Patrick, A. M. Ryan, A. Kaplan, "Early Adolescents, Perceptions of the Classroom Social Environment, Motivational Belief, and Engagement" Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.99, No.1, pp.83-98, 2007. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.199
- K. S. Kwak, "A Relationship between the Attitude toward School Learning and Classroom Climate Perceived by Junior High School Students", Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, Vol.36, No.3, pp.125-146, 2004.
- B. J. Fraser, "The impact of ASEP on pupil learning and classroom climate", Research in Science Education, Vol.5, No.1, pp.1-12, 2007. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02558605 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02558605
- P. A. Smith, "The Organization Health of High Schools and Dimensions of Faculty Trust." Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. The Ohio State University. 2000.
- M. Tschannen-Moran, W. K. Hoy, "Trust in Schools: A Conceptual and Empirical Analysis" Journal of Educational Administration, Vol.36, No.4, pp.334-352. 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09578239810211518 https://doi.org/10.1108/09578239810211518
- H. J. Kim. The Effect of the Class Teacher's Support on Children's School Achievement and Peer Relations. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Younsei University. 2006.
- B. Vosk, R. Forehand, J. B. Parker, K. A. Rickard, "Multimethod Comparison of Popular and Unpopular Children", Developmental Psychology, Vol.18, pp.571-575, 1982. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.521 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.2061
- E. K Park. The Study on Relationship between the Building of Friend-Relation of Children and Achievement of School Works, Graduate School of Education of Korea National University of Education Chung-Buk. Master's Thesis. 2000.
- R. A. Schumak, P. A. Schumak, "Group Processes in the Classroom(8th Ed.)." NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. 2001.
- J. K. Hemphill, A. E. Coons, "Development of the Leader Description Questionnaire.", in Ralph M. Stogdill and Alvin E. Coons, Leader Behavior: Its Description and Measurement, Columbus: Bureau of Business Research, OSU. 1957.
- C. A. Sink, L. R. Spencer, "My Class Inventory-Short Form as an Accountability Tool for Elementary School Counselors to Measure Classroom Climate", Professional School Counseling, Vol.9, pp.37-48, 2005. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5330/prsc.9.1.y720844684111402 https://doi.org/10.5330/prsc.9.1.y720844684111402
- B. S. Min. The Influence of the Self-organizing and Self-conception on the Academic Performance. Graduate School of Hongik University. Master's Thesis. 1991.
- P. M. Bentler, "Comparative Fit Indexes in Structural Model" Psychological Bulletin, Vol.107, No.2, pp.238-246, 1990. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- R. Kline, Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. NY: Guilford Press. 1998.
- B. Y. Khu, & J. A. Lee. "The structural Relationships among Perceived Parenting Roles, Teacher Leadership, Learning Motivation for Learning Flow in Elementary School Students." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(6): 355-387. 2015.
- G. M. Johnson, "Perception of Classroom Climate, Use of WebCT and Academic Achievement", Journal of Computing in Higher Education, Vol.17, No.2, pp.25-46, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF03032697 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03032697
- E. J. Lee, A Study on the Types of Teachers ' Leadership and the Relationship between Self-efficiency and Academic Flow in Middle School Students Perception, Graduate School of Education of Korea University. Master's Thesis. 2009.
- S. K Oh. A Study on the Relationship between the Homeroom Teachers' Leadership Style and the Children's Academic Self-Efficacy, Graduate School of Education of Kyongin National University of Education. Master Thesis. 2010.
- H. J. Oh. The Study on the Correlation between Teacher's Leadership Style and Their Academic Achievement, Graduate School of Education of Hanman University. Master's Thesis. 2005.
- J. K. Kim. A Study on the Correlation between Teachers' Leading Types Noticed by Students and the Satisfaction of School Life, School of Elementary Education of Gongju National University Education. Master's Thesis. 2008.
- H. C. Baek. Study of the Elementary School Teacher's Leadership Style and the Level of Satisfaction for the School of Elementary School Pupils, Graduate School of Education of Jeonju National University of Education, Master's Thesis. 2004.