- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of Load Reduction for Underground Arch Structures with Soft Zone Using Expanded PolyStyrene Geofoam
EPS Geofoam을 이용한 Soft Zone 적용방법에 따른 지중아치구조물의 하중저감에 관한 해석 연구
- Kim, Soo-Ha (Department of Civil Engineering, Sangmyung University) ;
- Park, Jong-Sup (Department of Civil Engineering, Sangmyung University) ;
- Kang, Jun-Suk (Department of Landscape Architecture and Rural System Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.07.04
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
As the demand for underground space increases, many researchers have been studying the load reduction method using high compressible materials to solve for the stability problem of the overhead load and for the increase of the earth pressure which decreases the function of the underground structure. This paper determines the optimum soft zone and the effect of the using EPS Geofoam as a load reduction material to arch structures. A finite element analysis program, ABAQUS, is used to analyze the soil-structure interaction and the behavior of buried arch structures considering different four EPS Geofoam forms to confirm the most conservative shape. The optimum cross-sectional shape was determined by comparing the results of earth pressure reduction rate in accordance with the change of span-rise ratio and span length of the arch structure. It was confirmed that the earth pressure generated in the arch structure using the optimal soft zone selected by the numerical analysis was reduced by an average of 78%. In this study, the effect of EPS Geofoam on soil pressure reduction and its applicability to underground arch structures will provide an economical and conservative way to design underground structures and will help to increase the usability of deep underground space.
Arch Structure;EPS Geofoam;Reduction of Earth Pressure;Soft Zone;Soil-Structure Interaction
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- R. K. Taylor, "Induced Trench Method of Culvert Installation", Highway Research Record No.510, pp.41-55, 1973.
- J. Kang, Y. Jung, Y. Ahn, "Cover requirements of thermoplastic pipes used under highways", Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol.55, pp.184-192, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.06.025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.06.025
- J. Kang, F. Parker, C. H. Yoo, "Soil-structure interaction for deeply buried corrugated steel pipes Part I: Embankment installation", Engineering Structures, Vol.30, No.2, pp.384-392, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.014
- J. S. Kang, F. Parker, C. H. Yoo, "Soil-structure interaction for deeply buried corrugated steel pipes. Part II: Imperfect trench installation", Engineering Structures, Vol.30, No.3, pp.588-594, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.006
- R. P. McAffee, A. J. Valsangkar, "Field performance, centrifuge testing, and numerical modelling of an induced trench installation", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.45, No.1, pp.147-163, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1139/T07-086 https://doi.org/10.1139/T07-076
- C. H. Yoo, J. S. Kang, "Soil-Structure Interaction for Deeply Buried Corrugated PVC and Steel Pipes", Highway Research Center, Aurburn University, 2005.
- Y. W. Jeong, Z. Z. Yi, S. J. Cho, H. G. Im, J. S. Park, J. S. Kang, "Development of Innovative Application Technology of Geofoam for Sustainable Design of Eco-bridges under Deep Soil Cover", Journal of the Korean Society for Advanced Composite Structures, Vol.9, No.2, pp.58-63, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2018.9.2.058 https://doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2018.9.2.058
- J. M. Kim, S. D. Cho, B. H. Choi, S. Y. Oh, Y. S. Paik, "Research of Load Reduction on Corrugated Steel Pipe Using EPS Block", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.20, No.1, pp.91-99, 2004.
- C. H. Yoo, Bedding and Fill Heights for Concrete Roadway Pipe and Box Culverts: New optimum soft zone geometry for imperfect trench installations of deeply buried concrete roadway pipes. Addendum, Highway Research Center, Auburn University, 2007
- Dassault Systemes, ABAQUS/CAE 2016: Analysis user's guide, Dassault Systemes Simulia Corporation: Johnston, RI, USA, 2016.
- J. S. Kang, F. Parker, C. H. Yoo, "Effects of frictional forces acting on sidewalls of buried box culverts", International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol.32, No.3, pp.289-306, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nag.628 https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.628
- ASTM International, Standard Specification for Rigid Cellular PolyStyrene Geofoam : ASTM D6817, 2014
- Korea Water and Wastewater Association, Sewage Facilities Standard, p.130, 2011.