- Volume 51 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Chinese and Japanese consumers' preference for Korean home meal replacement product package design using conjoint analysis
컨조인트 분석을 활용한 중국과 일본 소비자의 한식 가정식사대용식 패키지 디자인 선호 분석
- You, Seon Young (Department of Food & Nutrition, Kookmin University) ;
- Lee, Min A (Department of Food & Nutrition, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2018.09.21
- Accepted : 2018.10.10
- Published : 2018.10.31
Purpose: The study examined the Chinese and Japanese consumers' preference for Korean home meal replacement (HMR) product package designs using conjoint analysis. Methods: The questionnaire survey was completed by 270 consumers living in Beijing, China and Osaka, Japan, over the age of 20 years old, who had previously purchased or consumed a Korean HMR. Based on the attributes and levels within each attribute related to the Korean HMR product package design, 54 profiles were constructed. Of the 54 profiles, 11 combinations were selected using an orthogonal design, and the participants were asked to rank the 11 combinations in order of preference from top to bottom. Results: The relative importance of the Korean HMR product package design attributes were analyzed. Chinese consumers regarded illustration, ingestion form, concept, and brand name, in that order, to be most important. In the case of Japanese consumers, illustration, concept, ingestion form, and brand name, in that order, were most important. For the illustration attributes, in order of importance, Chinese consumers preferred raw materials, characters, and celebrities, and Japanese consumers preferred characters, raw materials, and celebrities. For the concept attributes, Chinese consumers favored, witty, traditional Korean, and modern concepts, whereas Japanese consumers favored witty, modern, and then traditional Korean concepts. For the ingestion form attributes, both Chinese and Japanese consumers preferred Ready To Eat (RTE), followed by Ready To Heat (RTH), and then Ready To Cook (RTC). For the brand name attributes, both Chinese and Japanese consumers preferred the localized brand name over the Korean brand name. Conclusion: Differences in the relative importance of Korean HMR product package design attributes were observed among Chinese and Japanese consumers, and there were differences in preference according to the levels within each attribute. These results are expected to provide useful basic data to assist in the future development of differentiated HMR package designs and marketing strategies to meet consumer needs in the market for Korean HMR in China and Japan.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry (IPET)
- Kim BS. A study on the relationship between the localization strategy and service performance for the globalization of traditional food: focused on the moderating effect of country characteristic [dissertation]. Seoul: Kyonggi University; 2009.
- Lee YJ, Yoon SJ. A study on the perception and attitude Japanese tourists visit to experience the cuisine of motivation a Korea food. Korea J Tourism Hosp Res 2011; 25(5): 401-417.
- Han G, Choi J, Kwon S. Survey on the status and needs of Korean food consumption for the development of home meal replacement for Chinese and Japanese. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2017; 27(4): 420-430. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.8.27.4.420
- Lee HY, Chung LN, Yang IS. Conceptualizing and prospecting for home meal replacement (HMR) in Korea by Delphi technique. J Nutr Health 2005; 38(3): 251-258.
- Ryu SH, Kim HK, So M. Effect of selection attributes for home meal replacement(HMR) on purchasing of married women living in a city. Korean J Food Nutr 2016; 29(5): 643-654. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.643
- Shin HY, Kim DY. Effects of expression in packing designs of drinks on consumers' preference for brands: focusing on expression of ingredients in juice (realistic: unrealistic). J Korean Soc Des Sci 2005; 18(2): 69-78.
- An SL. Study on graphic image of egg package design. J Packaging Cult Des Res 2011; 29: 49-69.
- Han JM, Chung KW. Influence of package design on consumer's private brand purchase intention. J Korean Soc Des Sci 2011; 24(2): 255-266.
- Paik EJ, Lee HJ, Hong WS. Home meal replacement consumption status and product development needs according to dietary lifestyle of Hong Kong consumers. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2017; 46(7): 876-885. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2017.46.7.876
- Kim JN, Lee KJ, Park HJ, Lee HM, Shin WS. Foreigner needs and preference for Korean HMR product prepared with Halal standard. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2018; 34(3): 301-310. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.3.301
- Kim EM, Ahn JA, Lee HJ, Lee MA. Evaluating choice attributes of Korean ginseng chicken soup as a home meal replacement (HMR) product using conjoint analysis. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2016; 32(5): 609-618. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.5.609
- Lee HY. Strategy study for the development of HMR's design. J Packaging Cult Des Res 2011; 29: 83-107.
- Yang K, Paik J. A study on the design of HMR-home meal replacement in aging period. Proceeding of 2017 KSDS Spring Conference; 2018 May 21; Korea National University of Arts. Seongnam: Korean Society of Design Science; 2016.
- Lee HS, Im JH. SPSS 22.0 manual. Seoul: Jiphyunjae; 2015.
- Choi WS, Seo KH, Lee SB. A study on the development of HMR products of Korean foods using conjoint analysis. Korean J Culinary Res 2012; 18(1): 156-167.
- Green PE, Srinivasan V. Conjoint analysis in consumer research: issues and outlook. J Consum Res 1978; 5(2): 103-123. https://doi.org/10.1086/208721
- Green PE. Hybrid models for conjoint analysis: an expository review. J Mark Res 1984; 21(2): 155-169. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378402100204
- Jeon HM, Lee SB. Research on home meal replacement(HMR) product development through conjoint analysis. Korean J Hosp Adm 2009; 18(3): 301-315.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Korean Food Promotion Institute. Global Korean Restaurants Status Summary Report. Seoul: Korean Food Promotion Institute; 2017 Nov.
- Meang JH, Park KW. A study on relevance about effective graphic elements and brand image of frozen mandoo package design. J Brand Des Assoc Korea 2012; 10(3): 123-136. https://doi.org/10.18852/bdak.2012.10.3.123
- Park SG, Ko HC. The advertising effect of advertising model type by products involvement: focus on printed advertisements for children. J Korean Soc Des Sci 2009; 22(5): 225-234.
- Jeon JY, Hong JS. A study on brand language localization affecting original brand image similarity recognition and purchase intentions. Korean J Food Cult 2009; 24(3): 286-294.
- Kim JH. Studies on satisfaction of Korean restaurant and perception in Bibimbap of the Japanese and the Chinese [dissertation]. Seoul: Sangmyung University; 2013.